Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 24 Jun 2008 (Tuesday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Otters and Meerkats

pbeesley
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 24, 2008 13:06 |  #1

Hi,
Id be grateful if someone could give me some honest opinions on the following photographs taken this weekend at my local zoo.

It was my first outing with a Canon 100-400L attached to my 400d. The weather was very overcast, but i managed a few snaps.

Thanks

IMAGE: http://www.ridemad.com/andyh/zoo/dis0.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.ridemad.com/andyh/zoo/dis1.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.ridemad.com/andyh/zoo/dis2.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.ridemad.com/andyh/zoo/dis3.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.ridemad.com/andyh/zoo/dis4.jpg

Any advice good or bad is appreciated.
Paul

sponsored links
Ravenscroft
38 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 24, 2008 17:43 |  #2

Is that Chester Zoo? If so they have a talented new addition - I've never seen a meerkat do such a good impersonation of a marmot before :D
As you say, it was a very overcast day, which has made everything a touch grey. I would see what you can do with levels and curves to improve things.
Here's hoping we get some better weather soon :(

pbeesley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 25, 2008 01:47 |  #3

Ravenscroft wrote in post #5785209 (external link)
Is that Chester Zoo? If so they have a talented new addition - I've never seen a meerkat do such a good impersonation of a marmot before :D
As you say, it was a very overcast day, which has made everything a touch grey. I would see what you can do with levels and curves to improve things.
Here's hoping we get some better weather soon :(

Hi thanks for the feedback, yes its Chester zoo, does the plastic dome give it away ?

Thanks for spotting they werent meerkats, you did realise this was a test for the forum readers ???:oops:

I'll take a look at the curves and levels this evening, these images are straight out of the camera.

The weather was a real pain as it was nice last week then all of a sudden the weekend comes and its awful, im self employed so dont really have the luxury of taking a few midweek days out of the office as it costs me money, so i do rely on the weekends been nice. roll on Saturday.

Thanks again
Paul

Welby
Goldmember
2,156 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 25, 2008 01:57 |  #4

Nice shots Paul although they are a tad soft which probably had to do with the fairly slow shutter speed you used at a pretty long focal length. Don't be afraid to use high iso's on your 400D to get a faster speed ;)

Mark www.gravelpics.com (external link)
5DMKIV, 7DMKII, 6D, EF 17-40 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L, EF 300mm f/4L, Tamron 28-75 F/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 II, Kenko 1.4, 580EX II, Vivitar DF400MZ x 2, poverty wizards.

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 25, 2008 03:05 |  #5

Nice set of shots there. Otters can be really difficult to shoot, the go so darned fast.

As stated, a higher ISO will give you higher shutter speeds. Using a flash for fill in can also help a great deal.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Glenn ­ Abuja
489 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 25, 2008 07:19 |  #6

Did you use a tripod? Good poses just a bit soft which could be related to the f-stop used also? Good work overall.

www.gannet.ca (external link)

pbeesley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 25, 2008 12:06 as a reply to  @ Glenn Abuja's post |  #7

Hi,
Thanks again for the feeback, I didnt use a tripod as the area was quite congested, I managed to shoot these over the top of my daughters head who was stood in front of me.

ISO was 400
Shutter Speed 125
F 5.6
Focal length 390.

So i'll take on board the comments about the iso and ill try cranking this up next time im in a similar position. This was more of a getting to know you session with the lens which i was absolutely thriled with.

Thanks again
Paul

DogBreath
491 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 27, 2008 16:39 as a reply to  @ pbeesley's post |  #8

very nice shots
hope you dont mind but this was taken while i was doing a patrol at work and thought i seen a fish rise in the river.Imagine my suprise when it turned out to be an otter and better still there was 2 off them.after sitting on bank whatching them play for 10 minutes i chanced my lg mobile.got some photo's of them but not that good i only wish i had my canon with me!!!!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i86.photobucket​.com …88/petermcweeny​/otter.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

you can just make out 1 in the middle of the shot:o

Comments/Editing and constructive critique are welcomed.
Canon 1ds MkII,1ds MKI 5DMKII Canon nifty 50mm f1.8,Canon 24-105mm f4L IS,Sigma 12-24mm,Canon EF70-200mm F2.8L IS,Canon 17-40mm F4

sponsored links

1,262 views & 0 likes for this thread
Otters and Meerkats
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.