Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 23 Jun 2008 (Monday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Happy Fireworks Everyone!

The_Terminator
178 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 23, 2008 22:26 |  #1

Not sure if this is the correct section, so mods, please move it if it needs to be moved.
Here is a photo from tonights city events (hence, I'm posting it in the urban section).
XTi / 50mm / f-11 / 10 sec / jpg capture / manual mode / manual focus / PS CS3

Enjoy!

IMAGE: http://mroberg.smugmug.com/photos/318809199_oA9dc-O.jpg

I only exist for your entertainment.

paiintballa182
797 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 23, 2008 22:28 |  #2

Nice colors/exposure

The_Terminator
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 23, 2008 22:35 as a reply to  @ paiintballa182's post |  #3

Thanks!

Starbugs78
148 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: From New Jersey (south) now live at Camp LeJeune/Hubert, NC

Jun 24, 2008 17:45 |  #4

Love it! I'll be trying fireworks for the first time this fourth. Hope mine turn out decent

I'm just a hobbyist learning.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche"
Canon 40D, w battery grip, Canon kit lens 28-135mm EF F3.50-5.6 , canon 50mm EF F1.8 , sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6, Sigma 30 mm F1.4 430 speedlite ex

The_Terminator
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 24, 2008 20:22 as a reply to  @ Starbugs78's post |  #5

Thanks for the compliment!
Here is what I found while shooting the fireworks:
1) Turn off the auto focus. otherwise, the camera goes hunting for stuff in the dark and you will miss the shot. I manally focused on the first bursts of fireworks, and then just left it there for the duration of the show.

2) I swapped between 4-5 second exposures, and 10 second exposures. I got lots of nice shots with 5 second exposures as well.

3) Most of my shots were taken at ISO 400. ISO 200 didn't work well for some reason.

4) A tripod is an absolute necessity (kinda obvious, but maybe that will help somebody) :)

5) I used mirror lockup with the self timer. This gave me a 2 second delay, meaning, pressing the shutter locks up the mirror, and the exposure starts 2 seconds later.
This was to reduce any camera shake since I don't have a remote shutter release.
I missed a lot of fireworks due to the guesswork of the 2 second delay, but I actually got more than I missed, so it wasn't a bad tradeoff.

Then people tell me that I got a nice picture cause I have a fancy camera. :rolleyes: :lol:
Sure. My circular saw builds nice furniture as well b/c it's also fancy. :lol:

If anybody else has firework photo advice, please post it so I can try any improved techniques as July 4th draws closer.
Thanks!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
Happy Fireworks Everyone!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.