Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Jun 2008 (Wednesday) 20:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade 100-400 to 300 2.8?

naryab
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 26, 2008 05:38 |  #16

Thank you everyone for your responses. After sleeping on it... I am going to explore other options to help fund it with keeping the 1-4 as a last resort. The speed of the 1-4 is my real concern since I find myself getting up earlier and staying out later for wildlife, etc. I hope to get more into sports and I hear these two reasons alone are sellers for the 300. I would definitely go to the 2.8, the slower 300 wouldn't offer enough to give up the 1-4. You are all right, there are those occasional times I wander out and would miss the range of the 1-4... But, the AF, sharpness, and 2.8 would also be worth it going forward... hmm... Can I sell my wife's possessions to help fund lenses? Just kidding, I am not that stupid!! LOL Hell she is contributing to the purchase already for my first father's day gift, baby arrived 2 weeks before it, can't say I am a worthy dad yet!! :)

My Gear

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2008 06:00 |  #17

Here's one strategy -- Sell the 1-4, get the 300 you'd like now. Afterwards, if you really miss the 1-4, buy a used one to add back into the kit.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

naryab
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 26, 2008 06:49 |  #18

That was kind of my thought. I mean the price difference is huge, so "picking up" a 1-4 again later would be a possibility, but just springing for a 300 2.8 is much more of an investment.

My Gear

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 26, 2008 09:23 |  #19

LOL!

When you reach the level of owning a 500, the 100-400 seems cheap by comparison!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 26, 2008 09:58 |  #20

hortonsl62 wrote in post #5795888 (external link)
LOL!

When you reach the level of owning a 500, the 100-400 seems cheap by comparison!

and yet so usable!!! i actually appreciate my 100-400 much more now that i own the 500. the 100-400 is just so light and versatile that it is truly a pleasure to use on hikes and walks in the park. i take it with me wherever i go and love the fact that it is so portable. the 500 is an amazing lens but it is truly a pain in the you know what unless you know what and where you are going to shoot.

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 26, 2008 10:14 |  #21

I was headed down a similar route one time. I would drop the 100-400 to get the 300. Then, after missing it, save up. It just seems like such a long saving process for the 300. Plus I would check put siam latest ofwrings to replace the 100-400 anyway

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,307 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2008 10:24 |  #22

bagtagsell wrote in post #5796151 (external link)
I was headed down a similar route one time. I would drop the 100-400 to get the 300. Then, after missing it, save up. It just seems like such a long saving process for the 300. Plus I would check put siam latest ofwrings to replace the 100-400 anyway

did you also again buy the 100-400L?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

naryab
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 26, 2008 12:08 |  #23

I think blonde's point about the 500 and 1-4 is why I was even considering it. I do not feel I walk around and shoot as much as I did. I do have somewhat of a plan and destination most times so carrying the 500 for example at this point is part of the plan. Again, for the zoo, walking around, etc, the 1-4 is so worth keeping. Heck it is more fun and often much more rewarding to not plan outings, grab the camera just in case, and see what happens. Unfortunately with the baby now, things are a little different, no strolls for the heck of it!! LOL I really want to pull the trigger and deal with it later, but I decided to wait over the weekend and explore other options and see if it is feasible to keep both. Thank you all for letting me ramble and more importantly for your feedback!

My Gear

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 26, 2008 12:36 |  #24

naryab wrote in post #5796779 (external link)
I think blonde's point about the 500 and 1-4 is why I was even considering it. I do not feel I walk around and shoot as much as I did. I do have somewhat of a plan and destination most times so carrying the 500 for example at this point is part of the plan. Again, for the zoo, walking around, etc, the 1-4 is so worth keeping. Heck it is more fun and often much more rewarding to not plan outings, grab the camera just in case, and see what happens. Unfortunately with the baby now, things are a little different, no strolls for the heck of it!! LOL I really want to pull the trigger and deal with it later, but I decided to wait over the weekend and explore other options and see if it is feasible to keep both. Thank you all for letting me ramble and more importantly for your feedback!

are you sure that we are not brothers? let's see, we are both from MA, we both have the same gear and were thinking about the same change and like you, i also just had a baby so rarely have the time to go out on casual walks :)

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,533 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 26, 2008 12:46 |  #25

I made the same move, almost... Went from 100-400mm to 300mm w/TCs. I haven't tested extensively, but the 300mm w/TCs certainly does NOT dissapoint, IQ-wise! It's also a brighter combo (e.g. 400mm @ f/5.6 vs. 420mm @ f/4) with a one-stop advantage.

I say almost because I don't know if I want to part with the 100-400mm just yet... It's hard to beat the convenience of a zoom when you need it, not to mention a smaller/lighter package. But I suspect I'll be using the zoom much less now!

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2008 13:47 |  #26

I have both the 100-400 and 300 2.8, whenever possible I would use the 300, but there are situations where the 100-400 might be a better fit. However, if you have the 70-200, you should be well covered.

Canon 1DMarkIII :shock: | Canon 5DII :p | Fujifilm Finepix F30
Glasses & Goodies

naryab
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 26, 2008 14:09 |  #27

blonde wrote in post #5796953 (external link)
are you sure that we are not brothers?

I don't think so, but don't you think brothers would share gear? At least some? Sounds like we have too many duplicates between us. LOL Perhaps we need to play the sibling rivalry thing and I should just get the 300 2.8 L for bragging rights... unless you do have it then forget it! :P Also, I heard brothers usually help each other out and your skills are, to say the least, quite well known around here and probably many other places and therefore exceed mine exponentially. Although in all fairness, I have learned a lot from your time and posts here at POTN (thank you for that),but a big/little brother with superior skills should offer more to blood than POTN. Anyway... I digress.

My Gear

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 26, 2008 14:32 |  #28

naryab wrote in post #5797542 (external link)
I don't think so, but don't you think brothers would share gear? At least some? Sounds like we have too many duplicates between us. LOL Perhaps we need to play the sibling rivalry thing and I should just get the 300 2.8 L for bragging rights... unless you do have it then forget it! :P Also, I heard brothers usually help each other out and your skills are, to say the least, quite well known around here and probably many other places and therefore exceed mine exponentially. Although in all fairness, I have learned a lot from your time and posts here at POTN (thank you for that),but a big/little brother with superior skills should offer more to blood than POTN. Anyway... I digress.

hehehe :lol:

sponsored links

2,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade 100-400 to 300 2.8?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.