Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 22 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Catholic Wedding question

CarstenRasmussen.dk
55 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 22, 2008 16:06 |  #1

Hello all

Im shooting my first catholic wedding in august, and as I understand it the ceremony is quite different than a protestant wedding.

Could any of you fill me in on some of the differences?

In advance, thank you

Kind regards
Carsten
http://www.carstenrasm​ussen.dk/ (external link)

---

sponsored links
auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 22, 2008 16:08 |  #2

It's very, very long.. :P Haha. Or at least what I experienced.

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 22, 2008 16:11 |  #3

the entire ceremony is broken out into parts during a full mass which usually lasts about an hour. make sure to introduce yourself to the officiating priest about your limits (i.e. use of flash, no stepping into the altar space, etc). its probably no different than a protestant wedding but then again, ive never covered a protestant wedding! LOL!

cchooks
280 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 22, 2008 18:33 |  #4

I have photographed hundreds of Catholic weddings. The main thing to remember is that in the Catholic religion, a wedding is a sacrament, and the mass is the most important event taking place. Couples have gone through about 6 months of classes and retreats to arrive at this day. By all means check with the priest or the coordinator before hand as to what will be allowed. In my area, Catholic weddings are more liberal as far as photographs go. Most will allow you to be up with the couple, but NEVER on the Altar.

First of all find out if there will be a full mass, or just the actual ceremony. A full wedding will go from 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes. After the procession there will be the readings usually by friends or family members. The congregation is seated and the couple may be knealing. This leads to the gospel reading by a Deacon or Priest. Everyone rises, he will do the reading. Everyone sits and the priest speaks about the reading.

The vows and exchange of the rings will follow and depending on the area you are in there may be some cultural presentation of wedding gifts to the couple. If a unity candle is being preformed then this is when it will happen. There may be a formal presenation of the unconsecrated wine and bread which family members may bring up the aisle to be presented to the priest.

At this time, the priest will change the wine and bread (Host) into the Body and Blood of Christ. DO NOT PHOTOGRAPH during this time. Everyone will be knealing at this time, but will then rise to recite the Lords Prayer. The couple holding hands in prayer makes for a good dramatic shot. There is then the sign of peace when everyone will offer a piece blessing to each other. The couple may kiss and embrace at this time, and they may go to the parents and hug them..... great shots.

They will then kneal and the priest will prepare the Host for serving. He will then come in front of the couple and feed them the Host. The Host being converted, many priest do not like it photographed. He will then offer the chalice and they will sip the Blood of Christ. Great dramatic shots there. The Priest will then offer communion to the guests and it is a great time to get a full shot of the B/G with the Bestman and Maid/Matron of Honor. Then a tight shot of the B/G by themself holding hands with the bouquet between them. The Priest will go and sit, reflect and pray. Many Catholics will then offer a bouquet of Roses to Mary. The B/G will go to a Statue of the Blessed Mother, present the bouquet and pray. Many times a nuptual blessing which is an ancient prayer blessing the couple may take place. Guests will raise their hand in blessing form and the prayer is recited. However, this may be done at different times depending on the Priest.

You are ready for the recessional. The couple is introduced by the Priest as Mr. & Mrs. XXXXX. The Kiss takes place and the couple recesses and probably have the biggest smiles on their faces. I love to get the couple to stop at the back of the Church and give me a Kiss as all the guest are clapping for them.

Try not to attract attention to yourself. If you have to move. I included the actions of the congregation so you will know when there will be movement in the church and you can move around while people will not notice you. Hope this helps. Always shoot the couple and Priest as fast as possible as he will probably need to leave and at times the vestaments may be pretty hot.

I Have a Pair of 40Ds
CCHooks

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 22, 2008 19:20 as a reply to  @ cchooks's post |  #5

Better yet, talk to the priest and attend a wedding in advance as just a spectator. You will then know what will happen when.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 22, 2008 23:32 |  #6

auroraskye wrote in post #5771121 (external link)
It's very, very long.. :P Haha. Or at least what I experienced.

If it includes a full Mass it can seem quite long............... I have , however encountered some quite long winded Protestant ministers. :lol:

cchooks gives a pretty good walk through, been there, done that.

20droger offers some very good advice. Each priest has his own rules and, after all, it is his church :confused:

It will be a truly memorable experience.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 23, 2008 17:04 |  #7

Skip Souza wrote in post #5773348 (external link)
It will be a truly memorable experience.

No exorcisms are TRULY memorable. Lots of candles.

They will likely do a dry run the evening before which you could go to is you wanted to i would bet. Some priests are really good about arranging people so you are not just seeing the backs of heads.

CarstenRasmussen.dk
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 26, 2008 10:29 |  #8

I want thank you all for this information, I will indeed try an attend a wedding prior to the one im shooting.

And a special thanks to CCHooks...that was very valuable

Kind regards
Carsten
http://www.carstenrasm​ussen.dk/ (external link)

---

BillMarks
525 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 26, 2008 11:53 |  #9

At this time, the priest will change the wine and bread (Host) into the Body and Blood of Christ. DO NOT PHOTOGRAPH during this time.

If you do, your face will melt off like the guy in the Indiana Jones movie!:p

samnz
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 26, 2008 21:56 |  #10

When I did my first Catholic Wedding I was nervous as buggery!!! I had an order of service which was more like a book! I'd never met a 'nun' in full regalia face to face, and I had no idea what to call the priest...Father/Brothe​r/mate/sir.

I showed up to the rehearsal - greeted by Sister Kathy who was wearing a good ole pair of sweats with a homey hoody and slippers on her feet! She introduced me to the priest - "CARL"!

WOW! Nothing like I expected. The ceremony was full of .... well - ceremony! ... a prayer for this, a hymn for that and a blessing for these with a reading for those ...... quite an eye opening experience really. I thought it might be the opposite (i.e., an eye-closing experience ;) ) but nowhere near!

The Priest silently gestured to me when photos weren't to be taken, then gave me a nod for when it was 'all-clear'.

It'll be a piece of cake! Enjoy

SAM
Gear

cchooks
280 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 26, 2008 23:07 |  #11

BillMarks wrote in post #5796705 (external link)

Not quite, but there is something happening that many of us hold sacred.

If you are in the business of wedding photography, then it is your responsibility to learn about it, it's traditions as they apply to you. Also, you may have to photograph there again and lastly, and most importantly, I feel we should leave the situation better than we found it. There is a delicate balance for shooters and if we can enjoy shooting opportunities, if they will allow us to shoot, then some bone head comes in and does not know what he is doing, then the next guy may get a "We don't allow photography". I have seen this many times. We use to shoot Video also, and I had a few crews in the field at any given time. My jaw dropped while I was editing when I saw a supposed pro photographer place his camera on the priest's shoulder to get a more steady shot. Respect....

I Have a Pair of 40Ds
CCHooks

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 27, 2008 15:48 |  #12

I love to get the couple to stop at the back of the Church and give me a Kiss as all the guest are clapping for them.

Hey - why don't you just stick to your job! :)

Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,804 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 27, 2008 21:46 |  #13

Because you have a descriptive title, you can look at the "Similar Threads" links at the [B]bottom-left of this page!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

dubge
142 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 27, 2008 22:15 |  #14

BillMarks wrote in post #5796705 (external link)

I couldnt stop laughing when I read that......seriously like 15 mins of laughter

Ray
GEAR LIST

AndreaBFS
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 27, 2008 22:53 |  #15

dubge wrote in post #5806784 (external link)
I couldnt stop laughing when I read that......seriously like 15 mins of laughter

I'm totally still giggling like an insane person, too.

sponsored links

2,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
Catholic Wedding question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.