Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 19:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

doing an outdoor shoot, need help and conformation

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 28, 2008 19:31 |  #1

I'm doing an outdoor shoot soon.
equipment 30D, 580ex II and cactus trigger

first I know the best is to get under the shade and use available light.

but if there is no shade, I'll be using my 580EX II

Here is what I understand so far.
meter the background to what I want.
then use flash for fill.

This is the method I'm going to do
1. meter the background @ 1/125 and find the aperature. (ex f/8)
2. dial the setting to camera in manual @ 1/250 and the aperature (f/8) to underexposed the background by 1 stop.
3. now this is what i'm still having trouble with.
should I have the flash at the aperature (f/8) (I do have L358 flash meter)[have the dome going in and pointed at the flash] or should I have the flash so the overall aperature is at f/8 [have the dome going out and pointed at the camera]?

What is the best percentage of flash vs ambient? 60%???

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links
Davidoff
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 28, 2008 19:50 |  #2

That's for you too decide, it's a completely personal thing. Just get there, meter the background. You may want to keep it like it is or under expose it. Then, when you're happy with the sky, get your subject where you want it. Adjust the flash until they look properly exposed. Season to taste, serve on a nice frame :)

My website (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 28, 2008 22:21 |  #3

When using the L-358 flash meter, it will meter both the ambient and flash and give you the correct aperture for overall exposure. The right balance between the two light sources is a matter of the situation and your goals.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

psxindo
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 29, 2008 01:25 |  #4

thanks guys.
so my method is correct. just need to adjust the flash to my taste??

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 29, 2008 03:17 |  #5

There is no single "correct" method. To change the ratio of flash/ambient in a shot, you can move the light, adjust the power, or change the shutter speed.

If you're using a meter like the L-358 that gives you the percent flash in the exposure, then you don't need to meter the background first. You can adjust the light or the shutter speed until you have the ratio you want, set your aperture according to the overall reading, and shoot.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

shimmishim
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 29, 2008 13:00 |  #6

Glad I found this thread. I've been wondering about this whole metering the background stuff. Now it all makes sense! Thanks again Mr. Master Flasher! :)

Call me John | JSP Blog (external link) | flickr (external link) |facebook (external link) | twitter (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III + a few L lenses
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=654812

sponsored links

1,001 views & 0 likes for this thread
doing an outdoor shoot, need help and conformation
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.