Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Meter for the Money

rollsman
438 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 29, 2008 09:33 |  #1

I want to buy a meter to measure flash and incident and reflected. I dont want to spend more than 125.00. I want to be able to measure flash at the subject without any wires. I will let the person hold the meter and I will trip the flash on the camera. Dont need all the bells and whistles. thank you, rollsman

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 29, 2008 11:23 |  #2

I think you'll need to up your budget. The Sekonic L358 with wireless flash triger runs around $400 IIRC. For $125 you might get a continuous light incident meter, but not a flash meter unless well-used.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2008 11:35 |  #3

Jon's close - B&H price is $250 plus another $50 for the radio module, plus tax, plus shipping.

Hmmm, perhaps he's right on.....:lol:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …8_Flash_Master_​Meter.html (external link)

At any rate, you'll need to go higher on the budget I think.

At least an L-308 - http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …lashmate_Light_​Meter.html (external link)

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

vince396
157 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 29, 2008 12:13 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #4

The Polaris meter might be the best you can do for the price (at least for a digital flash meter). I have one - it's not bad. It was my first meter. There are no bells and no whistles. See it here (external link).

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2008 12:23 |  #5

My vote would be the Sekonic L-358 also. I have that meter, never lets me down while in studio or outside with different lighting situations.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 29, 2008 13:02 |  #6

Here's another thumbs-up for the Sekonic L-358.

I don't think you're going to find a decent NEW meter for $125. I'd suggest saving a little more for the L-358, as you will find it will last you for many years to come.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

rollsman
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 29, 2008 14:19 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #7

I will bite the bullet and get the Sekonic 358. thank you

sevans16
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2008 14:27 |  #8

I have the Sek 358 and love it. I use it with my skyports. The Skyport TX has a plug in for a PC cable and comes with a short 6" cord. So I just take the TX off camera and drag it around with my meter(TX plugged in to meter). Works great for me so far.

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D850, D810, Tamron 15-30 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8E VR, 24-70 f2.8E VR, 300 f4 PF, 200-500 f5.6E VR, 500 f5.6E PF, Nikon 85 f1.8G
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2008 16:26 |  #9

rollsman wrote in post #5815447 (external link)
I will bite the bullet and get the Sekonic 358. thank you

You will not regret that decision. And that meter has capabilities for any future use you might find.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Meter for the Money
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.