Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 23:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Linux for photographers

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jun 25, 2008 22:14 |  #136

troypiggo wrote in post #5793432 (external link)
Request - let's leave it at that.

Seconded

Now, back to the topic at hand. How come I cant get a heap of my programs to look at anything outside the root folder? I have music and photos on another partition but I cant get at any of them in programs like Lightzone or RawTherapee.

Carp - flickr  (external link)- Blog log (external link) - Get Crumpled
You say tomato, we say 1/125 @ f/5.6

sponsored links
troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 25, 2008 22:30 |  #137

What is your setup? What partitions (eg /dev/sdc1)? Are they mounted?

To start with, what's the output of:

$ sudo fdisk -l

and:

$ mount

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 25, 2008 22:45 |  #138

-spam- wrote in post #5793463 (external link)
Seconded

Now, back to the topic at hand. How come I cant get a heap of my programs to look at anything outside the root folder? I have music and photos on another partition but I cant get at any of them in programs like Lightzone or RawTherapee.

What distro are you using?

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

saw
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 26, 2008 01:55 as a reply to  @ post 5793432 |  #139

I use Linux 100% of the time, it handles all my photography needs without a problem.

RAW converter - Bibble pro
Processing - Photoshop CS2 via WINE.
Tagging/image management - Digikam
Colour management - via Xcalib (using profile created in WINXP, although I see my Spyder2 is now supported in Argyll)

For me it was fairly easy, Bibble pro has always been my RAW converter of choice in WinXP, so the change to the Linux version was no problem at all. The only downside to going with Linux full-time was the lack of support in WINE for CS3, (although that will come in time) But for now CS2 will do just fine.

I've been dual booting various distributions of Linux & WinXP for a few years now, but have finally settled on Ubuntu "Hardy" as my distro of choice and have wiped XP from my system totally and couldn't be happier. :D

Shane.

Canon 50D | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS
Canon 70-200L f/4 IS | Canon 60 f/2.8 macro |
---------------
http://swhite.smugmug.​com/ (external link)

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 26, 2008 04:48 |  #140
bannedPermanent ban

-spam- wrote in post #5793463 (external link)
Seconded

Sam - what does:

less /etc/fstab

show? If you cd into the /mnt directory, and do an ls what does it show?

cd /mnt && ls

You probably can't see anything cos it's not mounted. Linux is not like Windows - everything is a file, even devices. In order for you to access that "file", you must mount, i.e. attach it, to the running kernel. Something like (in general) (and as root):

mount -t [filesystemtype] [device] [mount point]

ie for a DVD burner, it'll probably be something like:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sc0 /mnt/dvd

Depends on the type of device, the type of native file system etc. The above is only a quick hack of an example.

I'm not sure if you already know this stuff, if you do, just ignore my comments :)

I used Linux as my sole desktop (no XP, no dual booting) from 2001 through to early 2006. It's definitely do-able, don't get me wrong, but it just takes a *lot* more effort to maintain and stop it from breaking. True, I was running Libranet, and pinning to both Sarge, Etch, Sid and Scud (stable/testing/unstab​le/experimental reps for Debian for those that don't know). It takes a bit of skill and time and patience to pin and not break your system like I was doing. Why did I do it? Well, I wanted the latest in k3b, kde, xfce4 as well as Evolution and lots of other apps. Ubuntu is basically Debian unstable btw, not that it's really *that* unstable, it's just that Debian is *very* fussy on package stability, and packages not having bugs.

I'm a big RMS fan (Richard Matthew Stallman), as well as FSF, saw him do a speech at Sydney uni a few years ago and he was awe ispiring. He still is. Sadly, whilst I morally agree with his thoughts on software etc, it is impracticle in a modern world, a world that seeks to destroy his ideals due to corporate greed. Whilst I like Linux, and its ideals, and in fact just only a few years ago, I was a diehard Linux supporter, I've learnt to realise that the PC is just a tool to get a job done. Since I don't like to make my life difficult all of the time, I chose to move back to Windows and learn Photoshop.

For those thinking I'm bashing Linux just for the fun of it, my new box will be triple booting XP 32 bit, Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Debian GNU/Linux amd64 port (note I said Debian GNU/Linux, which is the *proper* way of addressing Linux imho). My current box will be delegated to a sole Debian box, might convert it into a DNS server yet and host my site, thinking about it. My old old box will be converted into a Solaris 10 machine, and I'm due to drag the Mac out (running Panther). I might even dual boot Debian/freeBSD on the current PC lol. :) I'm really a UNIX guy at heart.

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 26, 2008 05:27 as a reply to  @ dpastern's post |  #141

I posted another thread on the subject as a reference guide.

Feel free to contribute, but please no 'mine is bigger than yours' comment. Thanks.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=526570

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 26, 2008 06:23 |  #142
bannedPermanent ban

Good idea, have added my suggestions for apps missed already.

Dave

cedm wrote in post #5794817 (external link)
I posted another thread on the subject as a reference guide.

Feel free to contribute, but please no 'mine is bigger than yours' comment. Thanks.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=526570

http://www.macro-images.com/ (external link)

vondo
374 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2008 07:18 |  #143

-spam- wrote in post #5788707 (external link)
Mmm... still no joy. Nothing in the box when i select "open with" in DigiKam. So its the same problem as using F-Spot :confused:

This is one thing I want to try and find a solution to before going solely with US for my desktop.

Hmm. Mine has quite a list on most images. Which image format are you using? There is a registry that says what apps can work on what files. Whatever desktop you are using should have a way of modifying it.

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 40D, Elan 7E, EOS 10s, G12
50 f/1.8, 100 f/2, 400 f/5.6L,
18-55 IS, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX

vondo
374 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2008 07:19 |  #144

SwitchBlade wrote in post #5788837 (external link)
I've just found those photo manager apps awkward and counter intuitive. They want to lump all my photos together and all I want is much the same as my directory view but with better thumbnails. And for it not to force me to have to delete photos in the app but to recognise when I've deleted them from the hard drive.

Though it's not as bad as the Sony software that came with my Dad's A200, after tweaking and exporting to JPEG to edit it you need to manually refresh the damn thumbnail view every time. It won't automatically check.

Except that digikam works exactly as you describe, I agree with you.

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 40D, Elan 7E, EOS 10s, G12
50 f/1.8, 100 f/2, 400 f/5.6L,
18-55 IS, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 03, 2008 02:09 as a reply to  @ vondo's post |  #145

Well the partition was mounted so Im not too sure why the programs wouldnt go outside of the root directory to get at it. I will see how they go with an external drive.

Dont quite understand the crop and resize things in RawTherapee. Messing with the dimensions seems to screw with my selected crop but i think i have a workflow nutted out. Its a lot more screwing around to replace LR but i dont think its too bad.

1. Insert CF card into CF reader
  2. Import and tag photos with DigiKam
  3. Cull the rubbish ones
  4. Open RawTherapee and navigate to the new photos directory
  5. Perform prefered edits in RT
  6. Save everything to a predetermined folder
  7. Use Phatch to resize all keepers as a batch
  8. Upload desired images
How does that look then?

javaprog
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 03, 2008 08:50 |  #146

-spam- wrote in post #5839641 (external link)
Well the partition was mounted so Im not too sure why the programs wouldnt go outside of the root directory to get at it. I will see how they go with an external drive.

Dont quite understand the crop and resize things in RawTherapee. Messing with the dimensions seems to screw with my selected crop but i think i have a workflow nutted out. Its a lot more screwing around to replace LR but i dont think its too bad.

1. Insert CF card into CF reader
  2. Import and tag photos with DigiKam
  3. Cull the rubbish ones
  4. Open RawTherapee and navigate to the new photos directory
  5. Perform prefered edits in RT
  6. Save everything to a predetermined folder
  7. Use Phatch to resize all keepers as a batch
  8. Upload desired images
How does that look then?

digiKam does all of these things... doesn't it?

My workflow:

1. Import from camera with digiKam (this creates the dir), or read the CF
2. seperate raws from jpgs by moving raws to a subfolder (this makes digiKam much faster)
3. edit the first jpg from digiKam which opens showPhoto
4. process and save off
4a. if a keeper is poorly exposed or especially good I'll edit the raw version with showPhoto (16bit mode, no conversion)
4b. save as jpg
5. staying in showPhoto, move to next shot

When I post the keepers to Gallery it does the resizes, however digiKam has batch resize capibility

I've heard good things about RawTherapee... maybe I should get it running and see if I'm missing anything

400D, Sigma 24-60 f2.8 EX DG, EF 70-200 f4L

javaprog
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 03, 2008 09:15 |  #147

This thread has gotten me thinking about showPhoto. I don't know how it compares to other post processing tools but here are some of my favorite features.

Aspect Ratio Crop - crop using predefined aspect ratios such as 4x5 (8x10) or 5x7. this is so nothing gets cut off when you print (duh) This tool will also show rule of thirds, magic triangle, etc. lines to help you find the perfect crop

Gamma and Contrast - gamma and contrast are controlled from the same dialog with warnings for over and under exposure, so you can tweak back and forth between gamma and contrast easily

White Balance - the white balance tool has a auto exposure button that works quite well. the tool also has a color picker that you can use to pick a neutral color for auto balance. Gamma and saturation are available here as well.

Denoise - the noise reduction tool is based on http://cimg.sourceforg​e.net …ation/demonstra​tion.shtml (external link)

16 bit - it opens raw files directly

Quick Previews - you can zoom the tool previews in to make them quick. There's also several comparison modes between your changes and the original. My favorite is the mouse hover mode that lets you flip back and forth by moving the mouse.

400D, Sigma 24-60 f2.8 EX DG, EF 70-200 f4L

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 03, 2008 18:15 as a reply to  @ javaprog's post |  #148

javaprog wrote in post #5841059 (external link)
digiKam does all of these things... doesn't it?

It does to a certain point. But coming from Lightroom, Im used to having a lot more creative control than digiKam gives. RawTherapee is still lacking some features, but it is a lot more comprehensive than what you can do in DK.

It would be nice if RT was a bit faster and had cataloging features, but we cant have everything for free can we ;)

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 10, 2008 12:08 |  #149

Interesting blog read. Ubuntu users are one step conceptually to be able to safely walk from windows...

http://www.ubuntuprodu​ctivity.com …photo-manager-experiment/ (external link)

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 10, 2008 12:39 |  #150

cosworth wrote in post #5886307 (external link)
Interesting blog read. Ubuntu users are one step conceptually to be able to safely walk from windows...

http://www.ubuntuprodu​ctivity.com …photo-manager-experiment/ (external link)

Thanks for the post... I like being updated on the state of Photoediting on the Linux side. I've been keeping my eye on this application: http://bluemarine.tida​lwave.it/ (external link)
It looks promising, but haven't heard any updates about it lately.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

sponsored links

21,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
Linux for photographers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.