Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 May 2008 (Monday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black Rapid's "R-strap" REVIEW w/photos

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,645 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 23, 2008 00:42 |  #61

This looks like a very interesting rig (R Series Strap). It reminds me of the tried and true M-4 tac sling. The concept is not a new one, and it will be favored by some photographers more than others.

Nothing to do with the strap, but with personal opinions.

As for me, I am going to get an R1 for a couple of reasons. First, in some circumstances I could use a backup strap for the main camera. So I don't need to crowd the standard strap slots, I can just have a backup to keep the camera from falling to its doom. Second reason is -as mentioned earlier on- it looks like a really comfy way to carry a tele lens, along with your cameras (when you can't or won't use your bag). Sports photography is a great example, you have two bodies, and three lenses. 16-35 and 70-200 mounted, but say a 300 3.8 or 400mm hanging on the side. You can make a swap without any effort.

I have been using quick release straps for safety reasons most of the time, given the last chopper ride -keep your cameras inside the aircraft at all times-, and a long climb up a tower (where the cameras were made available to me via rope and pulley rig, with both 1Ds and $4000 of lenses attached to the straps with no backup, I almost broke the record for altitude barfing). On their way down, I was the one securing them, so I worked aorund the quick release.

Again, it's all in the use of the camera. If I have to deploy a fire shelter, life sucks. Cameras get out in two simple moves (one per camera), allowing me to drop pack and deploy safely. I am suppossed to do this in 20-30 seconds (which despite practice, I am nowhere near). With normal straps, I'd be one unlucky photographer in case of emergency.

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

sponsored links
troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 04, 2008 19:00 |  #62

Well I just can't control myself. Been pondering this for some time, thinking about possibly making a DIY version etc. Done some preliminary searching for places here in Brisbane, Australia that I could get the parts from, wondered about costs and my time to make it, worrying about botching it all up etc.

For some reason just this morning I had another look at the BlackRapid website and before I knew it I'd clickety-clicked myself onto the order page and now I've got a RS-2 on it's way to me. :rolleyes: :o

One thing to mention about ordering from BlackRapid - seems the FastenR comes with it. There's nowhere I found to opt out of it, even though it says you probably don't need it if you're going to use your tripod plate's D-ring. I think they should give you an option for no FastenR to save US$12.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

Kiron ­ Kid
28 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 04, 2008 19:15 |  #63

troypiggo wrote in post #5850370 (external link)
Well I just can't control myself. Been pondering this for some time, thinking about possibly making a DIY version etc. Done some preliminary searching for places here in Brisbane, Australia that I could get the parts from, wondered about costs and my time to make it, worrying about botching it all up etc.

For some reason just this morning I had another look at the BlackRapid website and before I knew it I'd clickety-clicked myself onto the order page and now I've got a RS-2 on it's way to me. :rolleyes: :o

One thing to mention about ordering from BlackRapid - seems the FastenR comes with it. There's nowhere I found to opt out of it, even though it says you probably don't need it if you're going to use your tripod plate's D-ring. I think they should give you an option for no FastenR to save US$12.

I'd be careful with using the tripod's D ring as an attachment point. Most of those D-rings on tripod plates weren't meant to be used for that purpose, and may be much too weak to serve this purpose.

Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 04, 2008 19:49 |  #64

Will do. Thanks for the heads up. I have checked mine out and it is pretty good quality - Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead - but still...

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

puddlepirate44
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 04, 2008 19:53 as a reply to  @ troypiggo's post |  #65

I had mine snapped to the QR plate, too, but, after reading all the warnings of my comrades in arms here on this thread, I decided to go back with the supplied FastenR. If nothing else for the ease of mind.

I tend to ramble. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Important Reading Material (external link)
Wag more, bark less.
Read the current TR Series from the beginning HERE (external link)

Kiron ­ Kid
28 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 04, 2008 21:14 |  #66

troypiggo wrote in post #5850542 (external link)
Will do. Thanks for the heads up. I have checked mine out and it is pretty good quality - Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead - but still...

Troy

I'm familiar with that ballhead. Does it still have the little D ring on the bottom of the plate? If so, I'd be wary of it too. Those wire rings don't go far into the plate...

Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 04, 2008 21:19 |  #67

It does have that little D-ring. I'll use the FastenR. Thanks.

Kiron ­ Kid
28 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 04, 2008 22:37 |  #68

troypiggo wrote in post #5850872 (external link)
It does have that little D-ring. I'll use the FastenR. Thanks.

Troy

Let me know what you think of the Black Rapid Strap. I haven't had mine long. But, I'll be shooting two weddings with it this weekend.

Kiron Kid

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kiron Kid

Kiron ­ Kid
28 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 06, 2008 03:31 |  #69

I just returned from a long wedding shoot. I had one rig on the Black Rapid strap, and the other rig on the Up-Strap. This particular combination worked quite well. Maybe I'll experiment with two Black Rapids... Also, the Think Tank Pro Speed belt and Speed Changer, made life much easier too.

Kiron

Kiron Kid

lkrms
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
4,558 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 06, 2008 03:37 |  #70

The FastenR makes the vertical grip buttons hard to use.

Luke
Headshot photographer Sydney and Newcastle (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link)

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 06, 2008 06:17 |  #71

Lookin' good PuddleP' but take care of that beard with the velcro man ;-)a Looks like an accident waitin' to happen.

So how is it practically compared to the Up Strap? Depending on how and what you shoot I'd guess the Up Strap would be better, like if you have a big boy lens on a monopod over one shoulder and then a small lens/body combo secure on the other shoulder. Easy to take the Up Strap off while using the monopod if necessary. This strap is kinda stuck there across your body with the camera flapping around your waist in the way. Also the an Up Strap QR strap on each body you can swap monopod body and strap body at will. Takes seconds. None of the unscrewing tripod mount thing involved. There is a better strap system yet to be built but not sure this is it. I always think the strap lugs should be mid way down the side of the body not at the top. Then the body and lens hangs straight down and non of that accidentally banging the lens on doorways stuff. Anyway, be interested in how the 'field trials' go.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

puddlepirate44
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 06, 2008 08:28 |  #72

linarms wrote in post #5857687 (external link)
The FastenR makes the vertical grip buttons hard to use.

I can see that. I've only got the ungripped 40D, so that's not an issue for me. Perhaps Lisa will chime in with her opinion on that.

condyk wrote in post #5857975 (external link)
Lookin' good PuddleP' but take care of that beard with the velcro man ;-)a Looks like an accident waitin' to happen.

:D Oh, the stories I could tell....

So how is it practically compared to the Up Strap?

I've looked into the UpStrap, and that may be an option for me in the future. Those straps look great, too. I'm not saying that the R Strap is the world's best camera strap known to man, but I've found it to be much better than the traditional neck strap, at least for me. I had it out yesterday for a few hours while shooting a Civil War re-enactment, and it worked great. Granted, the monopod was connected to the collar on the lens, but in the past, as in the fireworks that I shot on the 4th, taking the RStrap off of the camera body so that I can use the tripod is just a matter of a few seconds.

I tend to ramble. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Important Reading Material (external link)
Wag more, bark less.
Read the current TR Series from the beginning HERE (external link)

Blue ­ S2
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 06, 2008 09:42 |  #73

If you use an L-plate...the strap can attach to the left side and then the vertical grip buttons will be totally free to use.

Canon 5DmkII / Canon 5D / LifePixel IR 350D / L-glass
Brightscreen Screens & Mags / ReallyRightStuff gear / Singh-Ray filters
Read My Blog!! (external link) -- Visit My Website! : Ancient City Photography (external link)

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 06, 2008 10:38 |  #74

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #5858273 (external link)
I can see that. I've only got the ungripped 40D, so that's not an issue for me. Perhaps Lisa will chime in with her opinion on that.

:D Oh, the stories I could tell....

I've looked into the UpStrap, and that may be an option for me in the future. Those straps look great, too. I'm not saying that the R Strap is the world's best camera strap known to man, but I've found it to be much better than the traditional neck strap, at least for me. I had it out yesterday for a few hours while shooting a Civil War re-enactment, and it worked great. Granted, the monopod was connected to the collar on the lens, but in the past, as in the fireworks that I shot on the 4th, taking the RStrap off of the camera body so that I can use the tripod is just a matter of a few seconds.

I use an UPstrap - it is my other strap to complement my Blackrapid one. The Upstrap is my prefered strap and is very good.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

djeuch
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 06, 2008 10:52 |  #75

Those of you with two R-straps - how do you use them? Criss-cross?

Canon 40D w/BG-E2N Battery Grip | Canon 5D w/BG-E4 Battery Grip | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 w/ET-65III | EF 50mm f/1.4 w/ES-71II | Canon 1.4x TC | Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW | B+W 77mm MRC (010) filter x2 | Speedlite 580EX II

sponsored links

150,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
Black Rapid's "R-strap" REVIEW w/photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.