Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

to get a grip or not get a grip?

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 09, 2008 14:36 as a reply to  @ post 5880478 |  #16

I wish Canon would take Nikons approach to the grips and make them a little more aesthetically pleasing. The D300 grip is just plain beautiful where the Canon ones are clunky and cheap looking.

Nobody cares about your gear list...

sponsored links
rdricks
577 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 09, 2008 14:39 |  #17

Jeffro250 wrote in post #5880494 (external link)
I wish Canon would take Nikons approach to the grips and make them a little more aesthetically pleasing. The D300 grip is just plain beautiful where the Canon ones are clunky and cheap looking.

Agreed. I was a die-hard grip fan with my Minolta film system. When installed, the grip really became part of the camera. It was ergonomic and the fit was amazing. I have a grip for my 30D and have took it off shortly after acquiring it. It just feels too much like a "chunk of plastic" attached to the camera. At least that is my thought.;)

In fairness, I did get the Opteka instead of the Canon. If someone nearby wants to take it off my hands for a minimal investment they are welcome to it!

-Ryan
Gear List
My Photo Adventure (external link)

canons900
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 09, 2008 14:41 |  #18

DL.Photography wrote in post #5880478 (external link)
I HIGHLY reccomend the grip since you're using the XT series. I came from the XTi and 50% of the reason why I chose to upgrade to the 40D was because the grip felt so much better!

The grip on the XT series is just way too small....:o

Do you think it will help me hold the camera more "steady"? Or just give me a better "feel" with the camera?

Robf
385 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2008 14:51 |  #19

i couldnt go back to one without a grip

a) better battery life...i did run out before

b) portrait controls

c) better balance with heavier lenses

all of the above were considerable improvements on my xti

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 09, 2008 14:52 as a reply to  @ canons900's post |  #20

on the xt i find it too small for my hand. got a grip on my 30D and i like it alot. then again i'm use to it since i use the 1D alot.

Bill 1

winning is fun and second is for loser
I got Mitch hook on wide angle :lol::lol:
Gear list
http://billpham.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

osamu
119 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 09, 2008 14:52 |  #21

i didn't feel i needed a grip for my XT when I was using the kit lens/50mm/55-250/30mm

but as soon as i put a bigger lens on, it immediately became apparent that i wanted a little better balance. I also really like having the hand strap. I had one of the screw on type before, and i could never get the fit right, because i think the grip itself was too small for strap. The only thing is once you have the hand strap on, it becomes a little harder to take the grip off on a regular basis. but now mine almost never leaves my camera.

My Gear

Bruce_B
419 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 09, 2008 14:52 |  #22

canons900 wrote in post #5880528 (external link)
Do you think it will help me hold the camera more "steady"? Or just give me a better "feel" with the camera?

Both. For most people it does anyway. Just read the user reviews on it:

http://www.amazon.com …tal-Camera/dp/B0007WK8LC/ (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Grip_Battery_H​older.html (external link)

MaillerPhong
37 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2008 14:55 |  #23

DL.Photography wrote in post #5880478 (external link)
I HIGHLY reccomend the grip since you're using the XT series. I came from the XTi and 50% of the reason why I chose to upgrade to the 40D was because the grip felt so much better!

The grip on the XT series is just way too small....:o

Do you find having the grip on the XT helps when shooting landscape mode? I just ordered a 40D, in large part because I have big hands and found the xti uncomfortable to hold. I'd feel kinda stupid if the grip helps in both the portrait and landscape orientations on the XXXD models.

Jeff

Now embarked on USS HowthehelldoIworkthis4​0D

geo1976
310 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 09, 2008 14:58 |  #24

Get one, it makes you look more professional.lol

5 D Mark III, 5D mark ii, 2 5D Classics, Eos 1V, Eos 1n 35mm, Mamiya 645AF, mamiya RZ67 Pro II, 100 f/2.8L Macro, Sigma 85mm, Sigma 50 f/1.4 EX, Sigma 24 Macro f/1.8, 430EX II
Www.georgelrivera.com (external link)
www.riveraphotoblog.tu​mblr.com (external link)
www.facebook.com/geo19​76 (external link)

slacker
363 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 09, 2008 15:05 |  #25

I personally think it helps keep you more steady when shooting in portrait orientation. I take the grip off for traveling or other 'recreational' use :-)

40D, 30D, 16-35L, 24-70L, 24 1.4L, 50 1.4, 70-200L, 100-400L, 430EX, G9
3 camera bags, tripod, CPs, chocolate lab assistant
and a lot less $$$ in the bank account... but learning a ton here and having a darn good time!!:)

Bruce_B
419 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 09, 2008 15:24 |  #26

MaillerPhong wrote in post #5880600 (external link)
Do you find having the grip on the XT helps when shooting landscape mode? I just ordered a 40D, in large part because I have big hands and found the xti uncomfortable to hold. I'd feel kinda stupid if the grip helps in both the portrait and landscape orientations on the XXXD models.

Jeff

I find that it helps in landscape. I'd still prefer the body of the 40D though.

Adekeyser
53 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 09, 2008 15:38 |  #27

It is not even a choice , I have 40D coming to replace my 20D and a grip will be coming soon.

Jager
20d with grip
19-30 WA,EF-S 18-55mm,EF 28-105 EF 80-200,EF 28-200mm,EF 75-300, Sigma 135-400mm
430EX flash
Manfrotto Monopod
Tripod
Bushawk stock

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 09, 2008 15:59 |  #28

For a the Rebel series I really liked the grip, but for any of the others, I have had them, tried them for a long time, and ultimately ended up not keeping them.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 09, 2008 16:32 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #29

ForzaF1 wrote in post #5880361 (external link)
I don't like the Canon grips. They just look cheap to me, but whatever floats your boat!

I've seen a lot fewer complaints about the Canon grips than the third party ones...

dchen99 wrote in post #5880400 (external link)
I am easily amused by many of the grip discussions. People (including myself) always (ok, a little bit exaggerated) talk about the balance, look, feel. Isn't it true, what the grip designed for is to give you more battery life? Let's say if we ask, do we need the grip if the battery is a nuclear one and never die? The answer still is Yes?

Sure, the extra battery life is nice, but I use grips because the cameras are too small to hold comfortably without them.

John

seekphotography
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 09, 2008 16:35 |  #30

I don't shoot long enough to drain the batteries on my camera so I haven't jumped on the grips yet .. although the portrait configuration is nice it isn't worth it to me now and not to mention the weight/bulk it adds to bags.

If I found one for under $100 I'd pick one up but otherwise, no real hurry!

a camera , a few lenses, various accessories and never enough time.

sponsored links

8,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
to get a grip or not get a grip?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.