Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 02:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Image storage on PC

booboos
163 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 09, 2008 02:28 |  #1

There is probably a simple answer to what must be the same issue for everyone.

Taking huge numbers of 4MB photos and storing them on my hard-drive will soon mean i have run out of space. Whilst i do plan to buy an external hard-drive to back them all up, there must be some commonly used method(s) to compress these files in a way that whey take up less memory?

can someone let me know how this can best be done? will any of the image quality be lost when i come to re-open the images? any other issues i should be aware of?

I shoot in JPEG at the moment but may occasionally switch to RAW.

thanks

40d, canon 70-200 f/4 IS L, tamron 17-50 f/2.8, kenko pro 300 x1.4

sponsored links
seekphotography
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 09, 2008 02:51 |  #2

You can get a 500gb external drive for about $100 ... just go that route and shoot as many photos as you want .. until you need another drive!

Compression is more of a hassle than a convenience especially when hard drives are so cheap nowadays.

a camera , a few lenses, various accessories and never enough time.

aram535
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 09, 2008 02:59 as a reply to  @ seekphotography's post |  #3

If you keep your files in jpeg, everytime you open your file in some sort of image editing program and "SAVE" them you will lose data. It will probably be minimal since you lost most of the data in the original jpeg conversion but after saving the file 50 times you'll have a major loss of data with jpeg artifacts everywhere.

If you're keeping your files for the long term, than always shoot in RAW and burn those to a DVD or something (if you don't have the hard disk room).

As far as compression, you can't compress something in memory, I think you mean hard disk compression and all that does is slow down your system when accessing those files. If you only have 1 drive, its not even worth compressing a single folder.

With Speed in mind here are your choices in order of best to worst.

1) Add 2nd internal drive
2) Upgrade your existing drive to a bigger drive.
3) Add a USB/Firewall external drive
4) Use CD or DVD to offload the images

Gear List * www.tranquilphotos.com (external link) * My Blog (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 09, 2008 04:28 |  #4

booboos wrote in post #5877414 (external link)
there must be some commonly used method(s) to compress these files in a way that whey take up less memory?

jpg files are already compressed, so there's little to compress further.

Get an external HDD, and backup one way or another.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 09, 2008 06:14 |  #5

I have 5 external drives, each storing different types of events I shoot. I've filled almost 1/2 of all of them just the last 2 years. I think you can start with a 160-320 Western Digital Passport you can get at Costco for under $100. It's smaller than a deck of cards and is portable and uses the USB port as connector and power source. When you put your CF card into your computer card reader, a program will come up to ask what to do with the images on the card, just say save to the new HD and give it a new folder name and then date for the custom name for the file itself. That's the way I do it and it works very well. Then if your computer hard drive crashes, you still have the images in the external drive and you can always, when you edit, upload the images from that drive. It's very easy.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

booboos
THREAD ­ STARTER
163 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 09, 2008 07:42 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #6

u guys r great
thx

40d, canon 70-200 f/4 IS L, tamron 17-50 f/2.8, kenko pro 300 x1.4

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 09, 2008 11:46 as a reply to  @ booboos's post |  #7

To use as a temporary solution, you can try storing files online. I'm not sure of the actual logistics behind it and whether the files are compressed even further or not, but I signed up for a Flickr Pro account a few weeks ago to put up pictures that I took in Korea/Japan. Took a while to put up, but I eventually put up over 2000 pictures. I haven't tried downloading them the source files from the page but just a quick glance I see options to display the pictures in various sizes, including the original size, and an option to download. I could see this as being inconvenient since you would have to download each picture seperately but as $25/year it could hold you over until you get a external HD (which I have 2 500GB's and recently bought a 1TB one for $199 on sale).

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 09, 2008 12:52 |  #8

For those who dont know, Blu-Ray burners are much better priced nowadays. Newegg has an LG for $299 and they have 25GB one time write blank Blu-Rays for $10.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

seekphotography
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 09, 2008 16:32 |  #9

ben_r_ wrote in post #5879960 (external link)
For those who dont know, Blu-Ray burners are much better priced nowadays. Newegg has an LG for $299 and they have 25GB one time write blank Blu-Rays for $10.

Is that really practical now when dvd burners are $30 and you can get dvd-r media for next to nothing?

I wouldn't really trust 25gigs of data on one disc anyways .. you'd have to make redundant copies and that can get pretty expensive.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 09, 2008 18:11 as a reply to  @ seekphotography's post |  #10

aram535 wrote in post #5877483 (external link)
If you keep your files in jpeg, everytime you open your file in some sort of image editing program and "SAVE" them you will lose data. ..... but after saving the file 50 times you'll have a major loss of data

Why would anyone open and SAVE a file so many times? I wonder this everytime I here this logic.

seekphotography wrote:
I wouldn't really trust 25gigs of data on one disc anyways .. you'd have to make redundant copies and that can get pretty expensive.

But a lot of people would trust one 500gb hard drive with all of thier pics.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

seekphotography
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 09, 2008 18:15 |  #11

Eagle wrote in post #5881593 (external link)
Why would anyone open and SAVE a file so many times? I wonder this everytime I here this logic.

But a lot of people would trust one 500gb hard drive with all of thier pics.

HD aren't as scratchable/breakable/​loseable as a DVD though!

You make a good point though! :)

Eagle
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 09, 2008 18:24 |  #12

seekphotography wrote in post #5881620 (external link)
HD aren't as scratchable/breakable/​loseable as a DVD though!

You make a good point though! :)

True, but they are moving parts and do fail. Just another thing to think about.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

seekphotography
83 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 09, 2008 18:28 |  #13

Eagle wrote in post #5881679 (external link)
True, but they are moving parts and do fail. Just another thing to think about.

Of course .. you'll take a risk with either choice but my initial point was about the practicality/financial​ity (is that a word?) of Blu-ray over regular dvd-r media.

If you're really wild, do all three! :D

Bruce_B
419 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 09, 2008 18:33 |  #14

Eagle wrote in post #5881593 (external link)

Me too. I don't think I've ever saved a jpg more than twice and I always save a copy, not the original.

As for storage, I use multiple hard drives and DVD's. Everything is on at least 2 DVD's and I only use Taiyo Yuden. At some point Blue Ray will get cheap and I'll update my archive to that but still keep all the old DVD's. I still have a stack of CD's from back when image files were much smaller. All of those images are also on DVD's now. So I've got a lot of redundancy in my archive. ;)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 09, 2008 18:50 |  #15

The idea of paying $25/yr for unlimited storage is starting to appeal to me more and more.

The problem with any backup media (including HD) is that it's far from indestructible.

Since I almost never print anything anymore, a file resized to look good on 22" monitor is all I need for display. Some programs such as IrfanView allow very quick batch resizing of multiple files. I could then store the smaller files on HD, the full sized original RAWs and JPEGs on Flickr and let them worry about backups, for a 1/4 cost of a new drive (that needs to be backed up regularily anyway). Right now I "only" have about 40Gb in photos (RAWs and processed JPEGs) so I don't bother with it.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links

3,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
Image storage on PC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.