Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Attracting rabbits?

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 10, 2008 23:50 as a reply to  @ post 5889210 |  #16

Tixeon wrote in post #5887396 (external link)
If you throw enough money around You might get a whole family like this:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John

sponsored links
jack ­ Sparrow
99 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2008 05:40 as a reply to  @ JWright's post |  #17

rabbits will use the same tracks and runs to get to there feeding areas. these areas are easy to spot as there will be holes coming out of the cover and the grass will be flatter where they have walked, also if they are young and where talking its day tim they will not travel far from there sets. the best times are last light and dawn times for seeing rabbits, they will be out all day at different times but dawn and dusk is when the most come out, so get yourself hid and just wait, you will not need to bait an area if your already seeing them, as they have already found a good food source.

Kind regards
Jack

tedBalog
THREAD ­ STARTER
328 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 11, 2008 07:25 |  #18

jack Sparrow wrote in post #5890924 (external link)
rabbits will use the same tracks and runs to get to there feeding areas. these areas are easy to spot as there will be holes coming out of the cover and the grass will be flatter where they have walked, also if they are young and where talking its day tim they will not travel far from there sets. the best times are last light and dawn times for seeing rabbits, they will be out all day at different times but dawn and dusk is when the most come out, so get yourself hid and just wait, you will not need to bait an area if your already seeing them, as they have already found a good food source.

Kind regards
Jack

Yea, my grass. Lol - I believe they live under my shed as that is where my dog has his head 3/4 of the time. He often forgets to potty because he's so interested in these rabbits.

5D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/4L | 85mm f/1.8

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2008 07:50 |  #19

Just shot this little guy last night. Wasn't planning on shooting a bunny. I was out with my 100-400L trying to shoot some backyard birds, but they seemed to be on vacation or something. I was about to pack it in when this guy showed up. I was able to snap about five shots before he ran away.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 11, 2008 11:59 |  #20

Ok, seriously, I find that (furry) bunnies at my place totally ignore me if I'm on my riding mower -running or stopped. One step off the mower & they're gone. So, get your mower out, park it where you think they'll show up, Get your camera, have a seat & wait. Good luck.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 11, 2008 12:24 |  #21

Does it have to be a riding mower? :D

Tixeon wrote in post #5892613 (external link)
Ok, seriously, I find that (furry) bunnies at my place totally ignore me if I'm on my riding mower -running or stopped. One step off the mower & they're gone. So, get your mower out, park it where you think they'll show up, Get your camera, have a seat & wait. Good luck.

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Jul 11, 2008 12:53 |  #22

egordon99 wrote in post #5892741 (external link)
Does it have to be a riding mower? :D

Yep; It's much easier on the bum to sit on a riding mower. :lol:

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

Mike ­ McCusker
650 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 11, 2008 12:59 |  #23

poloman wrote in post #5889210 (external link)
Make a comfortable blind and sit out and wait for them. If you have a tripod, put that 300mm zoom on it and get some shots. Watch the light, keep the sun at 90 degrees and keep the wind in your face. Be vewy, vewy quiet.

And be vewy,vewy careful, they sometimes disguise themselves as ducks.

20D with grip, 50D,Canon 50mm 1.8II,Canon 18-55,Canon EF 24-105mm IS, Canon 70-200 2,8L, Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 580EX, 430EX, ST-E2

No one goes through life undefeated!

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 11, 2008 13:16 as a reply to  @ Mike McCusker's post |  #24

I don't know if it really works, but you might want to check out THIS (external link) article...

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

jack ­ Sparrow
99 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 11, 2008 13:48 as a reply to  @ RTMiller's post |  #25

Believe me you do not need any other food stuffs to encourage rabbits if there already feeding then they have all the food they need. Just consentrate on finding a suitable postion to take your pics from, Dawn and Dusk this is the secret. Take it from someone who has been hunting them for over 25 years.

regards
Jack

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 12, 2008 06:50 |  #26

Mine mostly come out at night. But I have seen the big one a few times during the daytime. I have my yard set up for birds, so there is a lot of bird food around. Rabbits love corn and millet. And you can't see that in the grass. But again, mostly at night, and it's hard to get good pics at night.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

Vacation
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 12, 2008 22:42 |  #27

Tixeon wrote in post #5888881 (external link)
BTW those are VW MKV Rabbits. They were rather easy to photograph.:D

That was funny!!

Canon 5D Mark ii :mrgreen:, Canon 30D Canon 20D 50mm 1.4, 16-35 Canon L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 100-400L 24-105 IS L Pocket Wizards 580EX2, 580EX

sponsored links

3,980 views & 0 likes for this thread
Attracting rabbits?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.