Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 23:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Linux for photographers

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 10, 2008 20:40 |  #151

cosworth wrote in post #5886307 (external link)
Interesting blog read. Ubuntu users are one step conceptually to be able to safely walk from windows...

http://www.ubuntuprodu​ctivity.com …photo-manager-experiment/ (external link)

Ive played with the three converters he writes about in Linux. And I have to agree with him that RT is the better of the three. Its so much nicer to use than Bibble and it has curves where Lightzone doesnt.

But they still dont come close to Lightroom unfortunately.

Carp - flickr  (external link)- Blog log (external link) - Get Crumpled
You say tomato, we say 1/125 @ f/5.6

sponsored links
javaprog
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 14, 2008 09:58 |  #152

http://dot.kde.org/120​7150254/ (external link)

400D, Sigma 24-60 f2.8 EX DG, EF 70-200 f4L

gymell
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 15, 2008 08:21 |  #153

Guess I don't need to visit Slashdot anymore to get my fix of Linux/Windows flame wars, I can get them right here on POTN!

I'm a Linux fan, been using it since 1995. I'm on Ubuntu right now at work and have been really amazed at how easy it is compared to using Slackware and Red Hat years ago. I still run Windows at home because the programs I use most require it. Haven't tried GIMP because I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro. One of these days, maybe I'll be motivated to make the switch.

-Liz
My online gallery (external link) and Live Streaming Feeder Cam (external link)
Help native birds - discourage house sparrows! (external link)
Minnesota Master Naturalist (external link) - "Explore, Teach, Conserve"

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 23, 2008 21:14 as a reply to  @ gymell's post |  #154

I wrote a little bit about what I normally do when Im processing under Linux on my blog yesterday. Its not the most informative piece on the web but its just what i use and why.

http://shphotography.w​ordpress.com …23/linux-and-photography/ (external link)

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 23, 2008 23:44 |  #155

-spam- wrote in post #5972098 (external link)
I wrote a little bit about what I normally do when Im processing under Linux on my blog yesterday. Its not the most informative piece on the web but its just what i use and why.

http://shphotography.w​ordpress.com …23/linux-and-photography/ (external link)

Nice shots spam

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 23, 2008 23:52 |  #156

bsaber wrote in post #5973025 (external link)
Nice shots spam

Cheers mate :)

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 17, 2008 18:24 as a reply to  @ -spam-'s post |  #157

Okay, massive old thread bump but ive been using Ubuntu 8.04 on its own on my laptop for about a month and a half now. Its pretty much a million times more stable than windows was on it so it will probably be staying while i build a dedicated windows box for Lightroom and Photoshop.

I have been doing most of my RAW conversion using a program called Rawstudio (external link) instead of using the others I previously used. It doesnt like low light stuff though so for that I end up using ufraw. Ive also stated using F-Spot to download and organise my photos.

Its funny how much better plain ubuntu works when compared to the studio flavour. Everything in my laptop worked straight up and the whole install/setup process took maybe 30 minutes.

bsaber
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 17, 2008 20:27 |  #158

Nice find. Never heard of Rawstudio but definitely going to give it a try.

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 21, 2008 19:27 |  #159

bsaber wrote in post #6515208 (external link)
Nice find. Never heard of Rawstudio but definitely going to give it a try.

It sure is a great little program. Not bad to use while we all wait patiently for Blue Marine or adobe to port Lightroom over. Wonder which will come first? :rolleyes:

And I know it isnt exactly photography related, but I just threw songbird on my laptop. Wow that thing is so much better to use than any other song manager I have tried (Amarok and Rythmbox particularly)

bsaber
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 22, 2008 01:59 |  #160

Songbird tends to die with a large library of songs. It's not bad but still needs lots of work. Rawstudio is good but I love lightroom... If Adobe ever ports Photoshop and Lightroom to Linux I'll be running Ubuntu exclusively.

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 22, 2008 03:12 |  #161

bsaber wrote in post #6539199 (external link)
Songbird tends to die with a large library of songs.

Yeah, I had read that around the place. Good thing I only have 3gb of music on the laptop. iTunes can take care of teh other 30gb when i get the desktop up and running.

bsaber wrote in post #6539199 (external link)
If Adobe ever ports Photoshop and Lightroom to Linux I'll be running Ubuntu exclusively.

Oh yes. Windows would be out of my life so quick if they did that

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 23, 2008 03:25 as a reply to  @ -spam-'s post |  #162

And again, not particularly photography related but more relevant than Songbird, Ive been using Inkscape for the last hour or so for a few maps for my town planning assignment and wow.

I have used Illustrator for a good 4 years and this is my first real amount of time and effort spent using Inkscape and i cant believe how much of a joy it is to use. Once you get past the fact that it isnt an Adobe program, it is just a million times better than Illustrator.

bsaber
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 24, 2008 01:08 as a reply to  @ -spam-'s post |  #163

Never used Illustrator or Inkscape so can't comment on it. But I have heard good things about it.

Also noticed... this is basically a conversation between the two of us:)

rickdog
215 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 21, 2008 22:52 as a reply to  @ bsaber's post |  #164

just thought i'd pop in and shout out to my fellow linux users. i'm new to this forum, but have been into amateur photography since the 80's. i started out with a Pentax A3000 and a K1000 with various lenses and developed B&W.

in 98 we got our first digital and that eventually led to the purchase of a rebel xt last year in may. right before that, in march, i dipped my toes into the linux world (got tired of windows completely crashing my computers!) and after trying a few distros, i landed on ubuntu island (of course). in september of last year i actualy took the final plunge and wiped away xp forever.

recently, my wife and i started a business focussing on equine event photography (link below). we use our rebel xt for now until we save up for perhaps a 50d and some L series. nevertheless, the fun continues after shooting with a little PP on:

Desktops:
--Custom E6420-4gbRam-320gb+500gbHD-Geforce7600gt-22"AcerWS-Kubuntu 8.04

--Custom E4400-2gbRam-320gb+500gbHD-Geforce6600-26"VisioLCDHDTV-Kubuntu 8.04

Laptops:
--Asus F8SnC1-T9500-3gbRam-320gbHD-Geforce9500M-Kubuntu 8.04

--Toshiba A45-S150-P4 2.4ghz-2gbRam-160gbHD-Kubuntu 8.10

(actually, the old toshiba has been retired and is now the "garage computer")

anyway, it's been interesting hearing about all the software available to us for free and even lightzone and bibble. i pretty much use most of the apps that have been mentioned (gimp, digikam, picasa, krita, phatch, cinepaint, ufraw and the lightzone trial) and was pleased to learn of others like rawtherapee and bibble. eventually, if our business takes off we might spring some dough for lz or bibble. but for now, i can't complain with what's available for free.

i also use a couple of album making apps like jalbum and kphotoalbum to create galleries for our website. they're pretty handy tools to have.

so, hey guys! what's up! i hope to learn a lot more from some fellow linux photographers in the future.

rick :D

equineXposures.com (external link)
aranayphoto.com (external link)
---------------
Gear

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 26, 2010 23:51 as a reply to  @ rickdog's post |  #165

Little bit of an epic thread bump, but I have recently been toying with Ubuntu again after over a year using OS X and I am really really impressed with how far things have come. There is decent colour management now (sure, you have to compile it yourself, but thats no biggy) and Bibble 5 is a million miles ahead of Bibble 4.

I wrote a little about my Linux workflow on my blog if anyone is interested as well.

http://shphotography.w​ordpress.com …nd-photography-round-two/ (external link)

sponsored links

21,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Linux for photographers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.