Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Jul 2008 (Friday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GPS logger recommendations

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Jul 18, 2008 07:38 |  #1

I'm not long back from holiday. During that time I used a GPS receiver and GeTrack running on my phone to do GPS logging. It kind-of worked most of the time, but I'm wanting to put together an easier-to-use solution. Also, GeTrack just "wasn't there" sometimes, and I lost about three days of tracks. And the dratted thing logged the phone's time, rather than the GPS-reported time.

Anyway, based on GPS logging I seem to have found three potential options:

1. Sony GPS-CS1KA (SP)
Got the Sony brand and presumably decent build quality, but bad reports on sensitivity. And does it work with Vista 64? Uses AA batteries, so shorter battery life than lithium but you can always buy a spare

2. GiSTEQ Photo Tracker and Photo Tracekr Lite
Seems to have excellent software, but not sure that it works on Vista 64. Uses Li-ion battery.

3. Holux M-241
Cheapest option. Woudl just continue useing Geotagging software I already have. Not sure if it works on Vista 64. Is it too cheap? What's the build quality like?

Does anyone have any reviews of these devices, or recommendations for other ones?

regards,
/alan

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2008 09:07 |  #2

Ive been looking for a method to do some GPS logging as well, so I'd be interested in reading what others use or suggest too.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

alduin
915 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 18, 2008 09:54 |  #3

I've got an Amod AGL3080 and am quite happy with it. It was quite inexpensive and gets the job done in a very simple way. All it does is log to a plain text file each time you turn it on. Getting the files off of the device doesn't require any software, it just plugs in to a USB port and acts like a thumb drive. I then just run the pictures and the log through GPicSync to write the tags to the RAWs and I'm done.

7D+BG-E7 | 5D | G9 | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 10-22mm | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN565EX
Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 | 680B/234RC

ace3
60 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 18, 2008 15:04 |  #4

i've used the Sony GPSCS1 for a couple years now, and like it.

the only difficulty is getting the time/date stamp on the gps to match up with your camera, i've found.

the sensitivity leaves something to be desired (at least, it didn't match up with the pictures of some walking trails while on safari in africa), but for the usual trip out, it works great.

i take my camera golfing quite often, and usually clip the GPS onto the bag. i take a picture of something obvious (first tee marker, usually), and adjust the time accordingly.

I use GPicSync (from code.google.com) and it works great.

the GPSCS1 essentially a memory stick that creates a large txt file every time it's turned on. it records the gps points to this.

if you get the Sony, if you compile multiple text files together (to make one large one ... usually much easier that way), make sure you take out the first line in each file, otherwise GPicSync won't work.

If gpicsync works on vista 64, then you won't have an issue.

A.C.
40D + Grip
EF 50/1.8 | EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70/2.8L | EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS | EF 70-200/4L IS | 580EX II | 420EX
GPS-CS1 GPS

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 18, 2008 15:20 |  #5

Jobo must have gotten cold feet or is having major problems in the release of the GPS unit now announce a year ago! Its idea of linking the GPS logger to the camera so that it records position only when the camera takes a photo helps greatly with the task of linking a photo to a location!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ace3
60 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 18, 2008 15:44 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #5937380 (external link)
Jobo must have gotten cold feet or is having major problems in the release of the GPS unit now announce a year ago! Its idea of linking the GPS logger to the camera so that it records position only when the camera takes a photo helps greatly with the task of linking a photo to a location!

if they had that for the 40D, i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i love geotagging.

A.C.
40D + Grip
EF 50/1.8 | EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70/2.8L | EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS | EF 70-200/4L IS | 580EX II | 420EX
GPS-CS1 GPS

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 18, 2008 15:45 |  #7

I'm not sure I see the benefit of knowing the exact location of my camera? As a keen offshore "yotty", yes, there is an obvious benefit, but while taking a picture of Florence or the Grand Canyon. Surely I already know where I was? From what Wilt has just written about Jobo "having cold feet", I reckon they have realised that it will only have limited appeal.

Would one of you who needs this facility care to educate a Luddite?

The mechanics of the actual operation are very simple. The "waypoint" is either recorded later by hand directly from the GPS display or automatically recorded in the data logger, maybe with some adress info to link it with the camera image file.

Richard

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,001 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 18, 2008 15:49 |  #8

I use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSX to record the track and then Downloader Pro to pair the tracks with the photos.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 18, 2008 15:51 |  #9

Lowner wrote in post #5937534 (external link)
I'm not sure I see the benefit of knowing the exact location of my camera? As a keen offshore "yotty", yes, there is an obvious benefit, but while taking a picture of Florence or the Grand Canyon. Surely I already know where I was? From what Wilt has just written about Jobo "having cold feet", I reckon they have realised that it will only have limited appeal.

Jobo are about to have the feet warm once again, as I have read that -- one year later -- Jobo is re-launching their GPS unit at PMA this year!

Would one of you who needs this facility care to educate a Luddite?

There appears to be some groundswell of taking photos and posting them to the web where the website has geographic tags of images to a world map!

Some users might think they take a shot today, to back again and again to the same location to take later shots, then have a series to compare, but GPS simply is not that precise!

OTOH, roaming around one of the islands in Hawaii and taking photos, and then knowing where on the map a particular photo was taken, does have appeal, even if not exact and accurate to within 15' !

The mechanics of the actual operation are very simple. The "waypoint" is either recorded later by hand directly from the GPS display or automatically recorded in the data logger, maybe with some adress info to link it with the camera image file.

Richard

The link is very tenuous, in taking thousands of positions in the log and using time and date of photo (as recorded in the camera) to link to specific location entries! If the GPS logger takes positions only every 10 minutes, you could walk half a mile in that time and photos taken between the two log points can be horrendously out of the indicated position! That is why the Jobo GPS concept...limiting log entries to when the photo is taken...makes tons more sense.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

alan_potter
THREAD ­ STARTER
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Jul 18, 2008 16:56 |  #10

Why note the position? I have quite a few photographs from my younger days that I have had to ask my parents "where were these taken?" And I remember spending many hours writing a location and date on the back of prints from the days of film... This is just the modern day equivalent.

It's true, of course, that one doesn't need the accuracy that a GPS solution gives - "Dingwall, 1978" is normally enough; we don't need the position to within a metre or two - but the idea is the same.

The Amod is one of the ones I'm considering; I've read that it's a bit on the large side. How do you find it, alduin? Also, I find the idea of three AAAs frustrating. My battery charger only charges two or four!

Another one that appears to have a Vista x64 driver is the Qstarz Q1000, though it's a bit on the pricey side.

Thanks for the help so far, guys

regards,
/alan

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

Voltron43
29 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 18, 2008 17:00 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #11

I recently picked up thePhoto Tracekr Lite before going on vacation and it works our alright. A few criticisms of the device is that the single AA battery may run out on you by the end of the day, it does not work very well indoors, and I've heard that the battery door breaks fairly easily so I've had to baby it when changing the battery. Another downside is that it requires the software to download the data and the software can by kind of awkward when downloading and deleting data. Some good points about it is that the integration of the gps data files and the photos (which is pretty seamless), small, compact design, and it's memory storage. I had it record a point every 15 seconds during the day for an entire week and it didn't even come close to filling the memory. I think they say it can last like 180 day or something or other, but don't quote me on that.

The Amod AGL3080 looks quite interesting....I wish I had heard about that one before making the plunge...

40D || PowerShot SD600 || Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5 IS USM
Portfolio (external link) || Equipment || Wish List (external link) || Blog (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 18, 2008 20:09 |  #12

tommykjensen wrote in post #5937558 (external link)
I use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSX to record the track and then Downloader Pro to pair the tracks with the photos.

Tommy, how has the GPSmap 60CSX been performing for you? From what I've read, the GPSmap series devices are the few GPS devices that can plug into the WFT-E2A so that GPS info can be inserted into the image EXIF. I've been thinking of getting a GPS device and wanted to get one that would give me the most bang for the buck.

...Leo

spicesupreme
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 18, 2008 20:32 |  #13

i just started looking into this a few days ago so i don't know a whole lot about it. but the Qstarz BT-Q1000 Platinum caught my eye it looks like it will do everything i need and it has pretty good reviews

mini review
http://www.navigadget.​com …/qstarz-bt-q1000p-review/ (external link)

video review
http://www.sciuridae.c​o.uk …ravel_recorder_​review.htm (external link)

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 18, 2008 20:56 |  #14

I also have the PhotoTrackr Lite.

I have noticed that battery life depends on how much you're "tracking".

The nice thing about the PhotoTrackr is that it will go idle and then based on a motion sensor, will start tracking again once you move.

I like the software and don't find it to be hard to use it all. The integration with Google Maps and Google Earth is great.

I did research on gps loggers and decided on this one. I'm still happy with it.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

scb
54 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 18, 2008 21:03 |  #15

I use a Sony GPS CS-1 in combination withe Breeze Downloader Pro see http://www.breezesys.c​om/Downloader/index.ht​m (external link) for geocoding my 40D images

This combination provides seamless geo-tagging of images.

Simon www.australavianimages​.com (external link)

sponsored links

10,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
GPS logger recommendations
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.