Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Jul 2008 (Tuesday) 17:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Feisol CT-3442 and Kirk BH-3

homersapien
350 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 01, 2008 17:36 |  #1

This is proving to be a fantastic lightweight combo for hiking and camping. Nobody needs another review of either I'm sure, but I will say that both are exceptionally easy to use. Which is good, because I hate having to "think" about my gear (I'm looking at you Canon, with your poorly placed buttons and controls). My only real gripe so far is the rotating legs. I love being able to just grab all 3 locks and twist; however, a specific order is required when locking/unlocking the Feisol. Not a deal breaker, but I would be willing to give up another few ounces to see this changed.

I've included a few pics so that folks can see how the 3442 can be reverse folded over the BH-3...just barely. Maybe not a big deal to some, but it is to me, for at least two reasons. First, when backpack space is at a premium I need every inch I can get. Second, when crawling through trees and bushes, the ballhead isn't exposed and thus cannot snag on anything.

Since the pictures pretty much speak for themselves, I'll just add a couple of measurements that folks might find useful, and that I couldn't find anywhere when researching the Feisols. The mounting plate is roughly 3.25 inches across. The actual usable area, the part raised disc that mates with the head, is roughly 2.625 inches across.

P.s. Kirk sells "blemished" BH-3s on Ebay at a discounted price. Mine arrived without a mark on it; it looks better than new.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links
Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 21, 2008 08:19 |  #2

It's good to see more people posting Feisol stuff - this sort of thing was quite hard to find back when I bought mine. Especially trying to calculate what sort of ball-heads would safely fit within the legs...

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 21, 2008 09:03 |  #3

Some questions: this tripod comes without center column? Can you add one if you want later?
Also curious as to what's the function of the tiny screws (?) in the sides of the legs and the side of the tripod base.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Jim ­ G
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 21, 2008 09:07 |  #4

CT-3442 comes without center column - it has a removable baseplate that is replaced by one that comes with the column if/when you purchase that.

The smaller screws (the larger ones are for tensioning the legs and, well, holding them on) are for the little.. toothed things that stop the legs at certain degree increments? I don't know what the word is. Lemme go take a photo.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Jim ­ G
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 21, 2008 09:17 |  #5

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/2689379726_9f36b3f974_b.jpg

Original plate with no centre column:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/2689381386_d4f9081f74_b.jpg

My M-10 ballhead fouls the legs with no column present if you try and fold them back up over the head. I reckon the short column would be okay but don't have one to try. The standard column fits the head within the legs just fine.

Edit: and the tiny screws in the top of the tripod are what holds the above plate in place.. there's three and they keep it quite firmly in place. Use an Allen key to unscrew.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 21, 2008 15:16 |  #6

I see, thanks!

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

homersapien
THREAD ­ STARTER
350 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 22, 2008 15:50 |  #7

René Damkot wrote in post #5953134 (external link)
Some questions: this tripod comes without center column? Can you add one if you want later?
Also curious as to what's the function of the tiny screws (?) in the sides of the legs and the side of the tripod base.

To add to what's already been said...the lack of center column was a major factor in choosing the Feisol. Fully extended, the 3442 is plenty tall enough (I'm 5'11"). In fact, I have to tippy-toe to see the top LCD on my 20d. I hate, and I mean HATE center columns. I never have understood the logic of putting a monopod on top of your tripod :rolleyes:

When the legs are reverse folded the BH-3 does indent the leg foam just a bit, but doesn't harm it.

sponsored links

5,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
Feisol CT-3442 and Kirk BH-3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.