Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jun 2008 (Thursday) 23:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY Tilt & Shift lens with AF confirmation

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 21, 2008 22:27 |  #46

I wan to try and make something similar that will give a 24mm perspective. What is the 75 in 35mm FL?

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2008 22:35 |  #47

bagtagsell wrote in post #5767385 (external link)
I wan to try and make something similar that will give a 24mm perspective. What is the 75 in 35mm FL?

a lot lol

Next on my list is a shorter medium format lens to do this. I'd like to get a 30mm, which is actually a fisheye for medium format, but they're to pricey for what I'm doing.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,893 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 21, 2008 23:42 |  #48

bagtagsell wrote in post #5767385 (external link)

Do you mean "what is the 75mm lens on 645, equivalent to what lens in the 135 format?"?...50mm

Do you mean "what is the 75mm lens AOV equivalent to on the 135 format, when used on APS-C?" ...120mm

You need 15mm lens used on APS-C, to be equivalent to using 24mm TSE on FF camera.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 24, 2008 21:54 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #49

I still haven't had a chance to go shooting so here's another pic from my yard lol

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/SpeakerPhreake​r/tree.jpg (external link)

rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 24, 2008 22:20 |  #50

JDubya wrote in post #5767408 (external link)
a lot lol

Next on my list is a shorter medium format lens to do this. I'd like to get a 30mm, which is actually a fisheye for medium format, but they're to pricey for what I'm doing.

Too heavy, too. I have two of them, and use them as barbells when I need to bulk up.

Hartblei makes tilt-shift mounts for some of the cheapie Ukrainian lens designs. I have their 45mm PCS lens in Pentacon Six mount, which I can adapt to the EF mount. It doesn't have tilt. Might be useful on a 5D, where 45 is at least normal though not wide angle. They have modified the Arsat 80mm lens for tilt-shift on small-format cameras with a range of lens mounts. But their stuff isn't that cheap compared to your project here. Arsat made a 45mm shift lens (no tilt, unfortunately) for the Nikon mount, and an excellent 55mm shift lens in the Pentacon Six mount.

Shifting a fisheye is a waste of time, but tilting it might produce some interesting effects.

Note that if you want to make something sharper rather than less sharp by tilting the lens, you need very fine control. The tilt required to change the plane of sharp focus is very slight for short lenses, unless it really is a miniature that you are photographing.

Rick "who loves seeing people have fun with otherwise useless but excellent lenses" Denney

The List

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 25, 2008 13:27 |  #51

well I am waiting for my goods from china to arrive. Keh and summit just delivered.

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

JDubya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 26, 2008 09:02 |  #52

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …9/SpeakerPhreak​er/RIG.jpg (external link)

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 26, 2008 09:22 |  #53

Talking about the eye and the way things are perceived, this is cool!
http://serendip.brynma​wr.edu/bb/blindspot1.h​tml (external link)

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 08, 2008 06:44 |  #54

this looks more like a Lens baby effect than a tilt / shift... does a tilt / shift work like a lens baby? i thought it was basically to take pics of stuff like buildings so they arent distorted.. i like this effect alot though..

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

rdenney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 08, 2008 15:37 |  #55

zacker wrote in post #5870940 (external link)
this looks more like a Lens baby effect than a tilt / shift... does a tilt / shift work like a lens baby? i thought it was basically to take pics of stuff like buildings so they arent distorted.. i like this effect alot though..

The purpose of shift is to allow you to adjust the field of view while keeping the film-plane vertical. That's what keeps vertical lines on buildings from converging.

The purpose of tilt is to adjust the plane of sharp focus to something other than parallel to the film plane. The Scheimpflug Rule says that the plane of sharp focus, the lens plane, and the film plane all intersect. When the lens plane is parallel to the film plane, they intersect at infinity. But say you are taking a picture of a forest floor with the camera on a tripod three feet off the ground. Say also that you are using a 24mm wide-angle lens (about 1" focal length). Thus, the lens plane will intersection the axis of the lens about an inch in front of the film plane. You won't have to tilt it much to tilt the plane of sharp focus to run along the ground--about 1.5 degrees. That will allows the forest floor to be sharp even wide open, though the tops of the plants growing from it will be out of focus. Doing this accurately usually requires a means of adjusting the tilt very precisely and locking it down, such as you would get with the 24mm TS lens.

(You can achieve the same effect as shifting by using tilts, as long as the film plane is tilted exactly the same as the lens plane so that they remain parallel.)

You can also tilt the lens to shift the plane of sharp focus away from the surface in the picture. This exaggerates how out of focus details on those surfaces will be. That's the effect being displayed here. Yes, the Lens Baby is often used for the same effect.

Shifting and tilting are used for different purposes, but often in tandem to control the image on view cameras.

Rick "who will someday own a 24mm T/S Canon lens" Denney

The List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,893 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 08, 2008 17:00 |  #56

zacker wrote in post #5870940 (external link)

The Lens Baby is a poor man's tilt and shift! Lens shifts and rise/fall and tilts predated TSE lenses by a very very long time, in large format cameras.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 09, 2008 04:46 |  #57

Actually, IMO the Lensbaby is different, since it's largely one big aberration :D

T/S lenses are corrected as well as possible.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

rdenney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 09, 2008 17:04 |  #58

René Damkot wrote in post #5877768 (external link)
Actually, IMO the Lensbaby is different, since it's largely one big aberration :D

T/S lenses are corrected as well as possible.

Don't confuse the tilting and shifting aspect with the single-element lens aspect. They combine to make the Lens Baby effect, but the principles of tilting and shifting remain the same.

With a lens where the tilt and shift is held by your hand, though, the applications for same that require precision and repeatability are probably not possible. So, for images like the ones we've seen in this thread, the home-made project gets a similar effect to a Lens Baby, with the except that where it's sharp, it's sharp. But it would be hard to use for architectural photography or for controlling the plane of sharp focus to bring things INTO focus.

Rick "not tempted to buy a Lens Baby" Denney

The List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 09, 2008 17:36 |  #59

rdenney wrote in post #5881261 (external link)
Don't confuse the tilting and shifting aspect with the single-element lens aspect.

I'm not.
What I tried to say is that the lensbaby simply doesn't have a recognisable "plane" of focus, because it has so much aberrations ;)
It's more of a "spot" that's sharp.

That being said: I like my Lensbaby :mrgreen:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 21, 2008 17:22 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #60

well.....I built one!

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2690761554_acf159564f.jpg?v=0
Cost me about £55 which is about the same cost as the low end lensbaby over here in the uk.

Not had to much of a chance to use it yet, but its pretty simple (from a tech point of view) and its good fun.

you can see what (crappy) images I took with it here, not alot to see, just tests
http://www.flickr.com …d/sets/72157606​272896821/ (external link)

cheers JDubya for the advice, im planning to make another now with a wider field of view:)

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links

20,580 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY Tilt & Shift lens with AF confirmation
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.