Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jul 2008 (Friday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mini-Review of the Sigma 150-500 vs Canon 100-400L

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 22, 2008 18:54 |  #76

brecklundin wrote in post #5963406 (external link)
AWESOME ya sold it...someone got a steal!!

Yup, I listed it on ebay, and the person was able to leverage the 20% rebate.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
BurBunny
405 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 22, 2008 21:57 |  #77

And she's *very* happy ... and anxious to receive it! :D

-Amber
Underwater Photographer (Topside Photography Poseur)
Canon 60D | Canon 400D | Canon 60 f2.8 | Sigma 10-20 | Tokina 10-17 FE | Sigma 18-200 DC OS | Sigma 150-500 DC OS | Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII | Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS | Seatool XTi Underwater Housing | Seatool 60mm Port | Seatool Dome Port | Inon Strobes | 67mm macro lenses (2), Woody's diopter

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 22, 2008 21:59 |  #78

BurBunny wrote in post #5965382 (external link)
And she's *very* happy ... and anxious to receive it! :D

The big heavy box is on its way as of Monday! Every time I use the 100-400 now, I miss the OS of the sigma, it is that much better. The 100-400 IS seems mushy now.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

BurBunny
405 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 22, 2008 22:14 |  #79

Wooohooo! Let's see, that means since I'll be gone tomorrow when the mail comes that Murphy's Law of Eagerly Anticipated Arrivals will come into play and it will arrive while I'm gone.

Also means that since I won't have it, the drive up into the mountains will result in many wonderful, but undocumented, critter spottings. (Of course, I never did plan on bringing my camera on this drive, anyway ;) ).

I can't wait to try it, as I never had a real issue with IS when I used a 100-400 (though still was hoping Canon would come out with an updated model), so I'm sure the Bigmos is going to make me very, very happy.

Sorry you miss her. I promise to take very good care of her, and love her and pet her and call her... nope, won't go that far.

Oh shoot, too late - now that name is stuck in my head. Okay, I guess tomorrow I'll get introduced to my new "George."

-Amber
Canon 60D | Canon 400D | Canon 60 f2.8 | Sigma 10-20 | Tokina 10-17 FE | Sigma 18-200 DC OS | Sigma 150-500 DC OS | Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII | Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS | Seatool XTi Underwater Housing | Seatool 60mm Port | Seatool Dome Port | Inon Strobes | 67mm macro lenses (2), Woody's diopter

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 22, 2008 22:19 |  #80

BurBunny wrote in post #5965491 (external link)
Wooohooo! Let's see, that means since I'll be gone tomorrow when the mail comes that Murphy's Law of Eagerly Anticipated Arrivals will come into play and it will arrive while I'm gone.

Also means that since I won't have it, the drive up into the mountains will result in many wonderful, but undocumented, critter spottings. (Of course, I never did plan on bringing my camera on this drive, anyway ;) ).

I can't wait to try it, as I never had a real issue with IS when I used a 100-400 (though still was hoping Canon would come out with an updated model), so I'm sure the Bigmos is going to make me very, very happy.

Sorry you miss her. I promise to take very good care of her, and love her and pet her and call her... nope, won't go that far.

Oh shoot, too late - now that name is stuck in my head. Okay, I guess tomorrow I'll get introduced to my new "George."

LOL, I had a different vision in my head until that last comment. Something along the lines of "my precious, my precious....".

BurBunny
405 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 22, 2008 22:32 |  #81

TeamSpeed wrote in post #5965531 (external link)
LOL, I had a different vision in my head until that last comment. Something along the lines of "my precious, my precious....".

Oh, too funny! Let's see, Steinbeck vs. Tolkein... Lenny vs. Gollum. At least we're literate, here. The real question would have to be would Lenny or Gollum take a better image? Not sure I'd be happy with the results in either of their hands.

-Amber

steve_causon
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 10, 2008 16:19 |  #82

Thanks for the great review. Your longing for what you no longer have has made up my mind (I think). I can get the Bigmos for £630 (amazon) or the Canon for £850 (ebay grey import)... I'm after a lens for a trip to Scotland in 6 weeks time with my GF, who's very into wildlife (Nikon binoculars for her) Probably gunna go for the Bigmos due to reach, cost and better O.S. In fact, the extra 220 quid saved will pay for the petrol to get there as well as the week's accomodation in Ben Lodge.

In some cases, quality of life is more important that quality of image...

www.causon.co.uk (external link)
www.yourhandinmine.co.​uk (external link)

WALLstBULL
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 27, 2010 19:24 |  #83

Looking at the pictures and the "quality difference" ... the Sigma at $899 compared to the Canon at 1600 is a no brainer for me! With a little expertise in PP and shooting raw, you can save a decent amount of money.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 05, 2013 09:01 |  #84

TeamSpeed wrote in post #5894703 (external link)
History:
Personal Conclusions:
The Sigma is longer than the Canon by quite a bit, and won't fit in my bag if I keep it. The OS seems to be much better than the IS on the Canon, BUT only when it is not doing a strange little twitch from time to time, it was really bugging me. I could see it jerk from time to time, other times it was so locked in, it was uncanny. I think they have a little work yet on this version of OS. The color rendition is different than the Canon. It cannot utilize the 77mm filters either, like the Canon and so many of the other lenses, both Canon and Sigma.

I got the twitch after a short drop of camera and lens, something a Canon's construction would probably have shrugged off. I sent it back to Sigma and they replaced the focusing motor. I do have a Canon zoom with the same problem, though it has not been dropped, (it is a refurb, however) and I suspect I'll need to send it off.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

newphoto
360 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 05, 2013 16:38 |  #85

The 100-400 is clearly showing better resolution than the Sigma from 200mm on up, and with the teleconverters.

Colin in Oklahoma
6D, 5D III, 16-35 L IS, 24-105 L IS, Macro 100 L IS, 100-400 L IS, 500 F4 L IS II, 1.4 Canon Extender III

sponsored links

74,356 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mini-Review of the Sigma 150-500 vs Canon 100-400L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.