Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 23 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 17:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait with popup flash

Sharon ­ S
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2008 17:18 |  #1

I have a question concerning portraits,if I use the popup flash is the white that appears in the pupil acceptable for portraits?
If it is acceptable should it be smaller that it appears in this photo?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon Eos 50D,Canon MP-E 65,Tamron 18-270mm , Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro usm, 430 EXII, Kenko extension tubes set DG, 2 Vivitar HVS flashes,Tamron 2x SP AF Teleconverter.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sharon_/ (external link)

sponsored links
queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 23, 2008 18:44 |  #2

I don't think it needs to be smaller. I just don't care for the catchlight to be located right smack dab in the middle like that.

Dmab
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 23, 2008 19:38 |  #3

I don't know -- I actually dig the look. For a completely novice portrait guy like myself, I would've thought the effect was intentional...

Dan
=======
Gear List

martinsjc
Goldmember
1,410 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 23, 2008 19:53 |  #4

The catchlight is not the only problem.... The light is harsh and uneven as any straight on harsh flash... I may be wrong but Id say youve done a bit of work to even the light a bit already either way.. in my opinion you should look for an alternate if you want to create better portraits.. even natural light diffused...

My website:
www.jcmartins.com (external link)
Join me in facebook:
http://www.facebook.co​m …s-Photography/8820797726​9 (external link)

RSphoto
Goldmember
1,097 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 23, 2008 19:54 |  #5

myself im not a fan of the pop up flash, it just hits right in the middle and creates that oily shiny effect. good shot tho

Rylan Strongman
rylanstrongman@gmail.c​om
Canon 5D Mark III | EF 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 35L | Canon 85L

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 23, 2008 20:34 |  #6

If you are doing true "portraits" one of the #1 things you must introduce into the image is "direction of light". A "pro" always introduces light from someplace other than the camera.

The best way to really look at top quality lighting is watch Law & Order, specifically the shows with "Stabler". In my opinion this show is a master at controlling light to ad drama, depth, and intrigue to an image.

This is not a bad shot but it is more of a snapshot then it is a portrait.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

martinsjc
Goldmember
1,410 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 23, 2008 20:36 |  #7

taygull wrote in post #5971875 (external link)
If you are doing true "portraits" one of the #1 things you must introduce into the image is "direction of light". A "pro" always introduces light from someplace other than the camera.

The best way to really look at top quality lighting is watch Law & Order, specifically the shows with "Stabler". In my opinion this show is a master at controlling light to ad drama, depth, and intrigue to an image.

This is not a bad shot but it is more of a snapshot then it is a portrait.

O dude nice reference....

Better one even is CSI miami amazing ligt

My website:
Join me in facebook:

Sharon ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2008 21:16 |  #8

Thanks for the tips,so basically as long as I use a popup flash its considered a snapshot even though,I set the camera on aperture priority and manually adjust the ISO,the white balance etc and had my nephew pose for the shot.
That was actually going to be my next question whether it was a snapshot.
Never watched either those shows before but I will check to see if and when they are on here on cable.

Canon Eos 50D,Canon MP-E 65,Tamron 18-270mm , Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro usm, 430 EXII, Kenko extension tubes set DG, 2 Vivitar HVS flashes,Tamron 2x SP AF Teleconverter.

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 23, 2008 22:26 |  #9

What mode you set the camera on and telling someone how to stand does not mean it is a "portrait", IMO.

I wouldn't get caught up in what something is called, once you get better you'll know the difference between a really nice image and a "snapshot".

I can say though I don't know of any pro's who use "pop" up flash. I'd suggest going to a camera store or book store and buy one of the "portrait" photography how to books.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

Sharon ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 23, 2008 22:51 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #10

I think you misinterpreted what I said,I am more of a practical person maybe thats why it came across the way it did.
Believe me when I say I am like a sponge on this forum soaking up all suggestions from everyone especially the professionals.
I just took a look at your work,and I can see I have a long way to go but I am always willing to learn.
Thanks again for your input.

martinsjc
Goldmember
1,410 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 26, 2008 01:42 |  #11

Dude.. I was sitting here drunk watching the first thing I caught on cable.. Legally blond 2 ... I know.. no further comments necesary but rent it.. pay attention to peoples hair light - lighting on the faces, compositions of nearly all scenes etc...

amazing lighting... amazing... (The movie sucks by the way but the lighting is incredible)

My website:
Join me in facebook:

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 27, 2008 16:06 |  #12

Since I got into photrography I cannot see a movie or look at a magazine in the same way. I am always looking at the lighting. When I comment on the lighting in a movie, my husband thinks I am nuts. the first thing a photographer has to train themselves to do is to "see the light" on any seen they intend to photograph. Light has direction. You have to either control that direction or use existing light to your advantage. But, you have to "see" it first.

roentarre
Goldmember
1,130 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 27, 2008 16:43 as a reply to  @ Dmab's post |  #13

Wow, skin is so smooth. A bit of texture might be of help.

Flickr (external link)

breathless
388 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2008 16:48 as a reply to  @ queenbee288's post |  #14

Since the thread is heading towards lighting...

Direct, on-camera flash really isn't lighting. "Photography Lighting" insinuates control of direction and quality to enhance a photo's mood, message, emotion. Direct flash is always, just so so. Direct flash is something a photographer uses because he/she has to. There's no creativity with direct flash. Really, all it's good for is fill. Proper lighting for portraiture takes time to learn and is quite an in-depth subject. If you want to incorporate supplemental lighting into your portraits, a good lighting class and books on the topic will be good suggestions.

As for the question regarding the catchlight, its acceptability and its size--it is entirely subjective. There are no real rules on how big or small, or where it should be. It does say something about the photographer, the technique and certainly gives the subject a specific "look." Whether good or bad. I should admit that I use direct flash all the time :)

Chris
Photographer, lover.
website (external link) | facebook (external link)

reefergal
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 28, 2008 01:36 |  #15

It kinda looks like the catch light was painted on

sponsored links

1,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portrait with popup flash
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.