Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need some professional help.

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2008 22:02 |  #76

They're the same. Buy from a reputable dealer. There are plenty of scam sites that will offer you a very low price, but it's bait and switch (they'll make you call them about your order and if you don't buy their ridiculously over-priced accessories they'll cancel your order). Amazon, Adorama, B&H are all quality places to buy from online.

sponsored links
iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2008 22:04 as a reply to  @ griptape's post |  #77

Thank you. I just came across this.... How do these deals and packages look? What you do you all think is the best?.....
http://shopdigitaldire​ct.com …info.php?produc​ts_id=7686 (external link)

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2008 22:07 |  #78

Remember those scam sites I just told you about? That's one of them. Expect to pay fair market price if you don't want to be ripped off.

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,915 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 24, 2008 22:08 |  #79

iCallisto wrote in post #5979431 (external link)
Thank you. I just came across this.... How do these deals and packages look? What you do you all think is the best?.....
http://shopdigitaldire​ct.com …info.php?produc​ts_id=7686 (external link)

this is a scam site...anything that's priced so low should be a red flag

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Shop_Di​gital_Direct (external link)

check the ratings before you buy at the link I gave you...it'll save you heartache.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2008 22:08 as a reply to  @ griptape's post |  #80

Woah okay lol then Im happy I posted that up... How about amazon. They're pretty trusty right?....

cfpackerfan
I love my tail!
51,606 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 24, 2008 22:10 |  #81

If money is not an option, why don't you just go straight to a reputable dealer rather than searching for a deal?

Cat -the femine feline with the namby arms. Loquacious, but not to a fault.
*Best post ever*  (external link)*Inspirations Photography* (external link) *Starfish Journal* (external link) *H.A.R.T.* (external link) <--clickety click!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2008 22:17 as a reply to  @ cfpackerfan's post |  #82

I'd like to at least shop around first. If I can save money then thats great, but if I have to spend $2,000 or so then fine.

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2008 22:19 |  #83

You can safely buy from amazon.

cfpackerfan
I love my tail!
51,606 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 24, 2008 22:21 |  #84

iCallisto wrote in post #5979510 (external link)
I'd like to at least shop around first. If I can save money then thats great, but if I have to spend $2,000 or so then fine.

Fair enough. Be sure to check out any of the sites you are looking at with the link that Permagrin posted. (resellerratings.com)

Cat -the femine feline with the namby arms. Loquacious, but not to a fault.
*Best post ever*  (external link)*Inspirations Photography* (external link) *Starfish Journal* (external link) *H.A.R.T.* (external link) <--clickety click!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2008 22:25 as a reply to  @ griptape's post |  #85

Does this look good?
http://www.amazon.com …cs&qid=12169553​53&sr=8-11 (external link)

iCallisto
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2008 22:27 as a reply to  @ iCallisto's post |  #86

Damn wrong link!

JCheungPhoto
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 24, 2008 22:28 |  #87

In my opinion bhphotovideo.com has had the best customer service, although amazon is certianly reliable. My vote would be the 40D with the 17-85mm kit lens. It's a great camera with a bright viewfinder (essential to good photography), great autofocusing (helps a lot), better build (you won't have to "baby" your camera as much), and has a very simplistic control layout (that nosewheel and control button is absolutely a must to me). Of course investing in photography is no small task, but a 40D with a kit lens will better help you decide on any further purchases and is certianly capable of taking great photographs.

b&h: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_EOS_40D_SLR_Di​gital.html (external link)

Some "get to know Canon facts":

EOS: stands for electro-optical systems, and is just Canon's way of calling it's autofocus series of cameras (ex: EOS 5D)

EF: Canon's lenses that are designed for all canon DSLR bodies

EF-S: Canon's designation for lenses that are only designed for rebels, 20,30,and 40Ds

Full-frame (FF): most digital cameras have a sensor that is physically smaller than the image size of 35mm film. Canon's crop bodies like the 40D crops the field of view of each lens by 1.6 and 1 series bodies w/o the 's' designation crops by 1.3

cross-type focus sensors: just need to know, they're good, the more you have, the more accurate the autofocus.

Ring-type USM vs. micro-type USM: stands for ultra-sonic motor and is the autofocus motor within every EF or EF-S lens. Ring-type is much faster and more accurate (not to mention very quiet) whereas micro-type is more inexpensive, but a smidge slower.

L series lenses: Simple put, all L lenses (with very few exception) are very good pieces of optical precision work. They are generally very well built (able to take some accidental abuse), Generally have fixed apertures, and are often more expensive (you get what you pay for).

well that's it I suppose, just wanted to point that out (I am probably going to save this txt to help with my own use =)

gear
freewebs.com/jcheungph​otography

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 24, 2008 22:32 |  #88

I have to agree. If you don't mind paying the price, the 17-85 is not only a much better lens in terms of picture quality, but also in terms of usefulness for the focal length.

The only reason I can think of to buy the 28-135 kit instead of body only and a lens that's on par with the body is to sell the lens since you're saving about $100 over buying the lens by itself.

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 24, 2008 22:37 as a reply to  @ JCheungPhoto's post |  #89

iCallisto wrote in post #5979030 (external link)
Why does the 40D coast more then the XSI?

Go to the Canon USA site and read the specifications for each camera.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …tIndexAct&fcate​goryid=111 (external link)

John

jfitzell
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 24, 2008 22:48 as a reply to  @ iCallisto's post |  #90

This should help you understand the differences between these cameras.
http://www.dpreview.co​m …%2Ccanon_eos450​d&show=all (external link)

The reality is that all of these cameras will take very good quality photographs in the right hands with the right lens. Sure there are technical differences affecting specific quality details, but the biggest differences between these cameras are related to auto-focus, durability, speed, weight! etc.

When I first upgraded to an 8 megapixel Canon 350D (Rebel XT) I found that my photos with it were WORSE than my old 3 Megapixel point and shot (Canon S1is)... now I know how to use the camera(s) this is no longer an issue.

Also, you realise that DSLR's also DON'T do things that P&S's can like recording video?

And one final comment on the Canon 1DsIII... have you ever held one and decided that you're able to cope with 2kg+ of weight? Are you prepared for the computer requirements that processing images of such a camera involves?

Had -> Have
EOS 350D -> EOS 40D, BG-E2N, 10-22, 18-55 -> 17-85 IS, 75-300 -> 70-200/2.8L IS, 50/1.8

Want
100/2.8 macro, 24-70/2.8L or 24-105/4L IS

sponsored links

10,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need some professional help.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.