Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 26 Jul 2008 (Saturday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Natural light portrait on the beach

Sharon ­ S
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 26, 2008 12:51 |  #1

Another attempt at a portrait but without flash this time,just natural lighting on the beach.
Looks like I found a model in my niece Emily.
I would appreciate all C & C.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon Eos 50D,Canon MP-E 65,Tamron 18-270mm , Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro usm, 430 EXII, Kenko extension tubes set DG, 2 Vivitar HVS flashes,Tamron 2x SP AF Teleconverter.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sharon_/ (external link)

sponsored links
fjgindy
38 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 26, 2008 13:47 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Beautiful girl and I love the framing of this one! Great shot. I think it's a touch underexposed and a bump in your levels would help.

Do you mind if I post a tweak of it?

andrepaul
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 26, 2008 13:51 |  #3

This is a wonderful shot. I like the intensity and yes beautiful indeed. Love it, nice job.

andre|paul design + photography (external link)
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Sharon ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 26, 2008 14:44 as a reply to  @ andrepaul's post |  #4

Thanks guys for the comments,I really needed that boost because my last portrait attempt was a disaster.
fjgindy I don't mind if you tweak it,I suspected it was a bit underexposed,I am still learning to edit raw files.

Canon Eos 50D,Canon MP-E 65,Tamron 18-270mm , Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro usm, 430 EXII, Kenko extension tubes set DG, 2 Vivitar HVS flashes,Tamron 2x SP AF Teleconverter.

casp3r
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Jul 26, 2008 15:10 |  #5

Lovely portrait. Just me but could you remove yourself from her eyes :) If you look closely you will see yourself.

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 26, 2008 15:12 |  #6

Sharon,

You've done a much better job on this one. The eyes are nicely framed in the rule of thirds. Some folks won't like the crop because of cutting off the top of the head but not me. I like the framing because it draws nice attention to the eyes. I'd call this a nice "casual portrait".

Keep practicing, I'd like to see you do one that is a little more formal and shows more of the subject.

Good job.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

TomTomTuning
Goldmember
1,983 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 26, 2008 15:22 |  #7

She indeed is beautiful.

I like this shot, Composition is great!

5D Mark III, 40D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 50L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Gear List & Feedback Links
Flickr (external link) l 500px (external link) l Google+ (external link)

Michael ­ Bottoms
Cream of the Crop
6,297 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 26, 2008 15:24 |  #8

This is a very nice portrait... perhaps a smile? It doesn't need it though.
B

Former Pentax & 20D owner... now the pleased owner of the new 50D, 580EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, Canon EFS 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300, Sekonic L-508 Zoom Master Meter, Manfrotto and slik tripods, trekpod and other assorted accessories...

fjgindy
38 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 26, 2008 16:30 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Sharon S wrote in post #5989090 (external link)
Thanks guys for the comments,I really needed that boost because my last portrait attempt was a disaster.
fjgindy I don't mind if you tweak it,I suspected it was a bit underexposed,I am still learning to edit raw files.

It's not much of a tweak because your original photo was so good. This really is a terrific shot originally!

Photoshop levels showed it just a tad underexposed. My tweak probably isn't even worth it....just a levels adjustment to brighten it up a bit, and a bit of vignette to draw more attention to her great face and eyes. More of a defog than anything..:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

KenTT
718 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 26, 2008 17:26 |  #10

A wonderful shot, well done:-)

Ken
Canon... 1Ds mk3 & 1D mk4 | EF300L f2.8 IS | EF 24-105L f4 IS | EF 70-200L f2.8 IS | EF 85L MkII | EF100L f2.8 Macro IS |EF 17-40L f4 IS | 3 x 580EX.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,448 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 26, 2008 19:06 as a reply to  @ KenTT's post |  #11

She is really lovely.... you could go crazy taking photos of her and I bet she is very camera friendly.

I upped the exposure a little and sharpened the eyes and lips. Not sure if I like it any better than the original, tho. Nice work.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,051 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 27, 2008 05:07 |  #12

VERY powerfull shot with such an intence look youv done a great job imo.
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

Sharon ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,231 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2008 11:15 |  #13

Thanks all for the lovely comments ,I like the two edited versions,so I am going to sharpen the eyes and lips on the original.
Michael I can't blame her for not smiling maybe she knew what was to come,and hour after this was taken our boat engine conked out and we were drifting as the anchor was not holding,four hours later we were rescued by the coast guard and what made matters worse we did not catch much fish that day.
GyRob what does imo mean?

gking
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 27, 2008 12:00 |  #14

With such model you cannot go wrong. Her eyes and lips are so perfect that the crop of her top is not distracting as it would be in other shots.
I have no negatives for your effort, just envy that you have such model for future shots.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi ; Canon EOS 650 35mm; Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 58mm -1:3.5-5.6 II; Canon EF 70-210mm 1:4; Canon EF 50mm1:1.8; Canon EF 28mm; Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro; Canon Speedlite 420 EX

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 27, 2008 12:12 as a reply to  @ Sharon S's post |  #15

I don't think this image is underexposed.. I checked the historgram and yes it does lie to the left a tad but don't forget she is an olive skinned girl with dark hair which will push the historgram to the left..Not all skin tones are white Anglo Celtic.. There is still detail in the shadow areas..

Maureen,, IMHO your edit is a bit too contrasty for my liking..

BTW,,,lovely natural light portrait and I love the catch lights..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links

2,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Natural light portrait on the beach
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.