Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 27 Jul 2008 (Sunday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Puffin Pictures

Photonfinder
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 27, 2008 12:28 |  #1

I went up to Machias Island off the coast of Maine (claimed by both the US and Canada) that is a breeding ground for puffins with my grandfather (Don LaVange). I had a Mark III with a 70-200 F/4 IS lens and a 1.4x extender.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

All criticism and comments are welcome! :)

Wise men don't need advice, fools don't take it-- Benjamin Franklin.
David Beaman

sponsored links
Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 27, 2008 12:44 |  #2

Magic!

I think I'd prefer no. 3 without the frame, but that's just personal preference, not a comment on the quality of the image - these have the kind of natural, unprocessed "own eyes" look to them that I love to see.

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,075 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 27, 2008 12:47 as a reply to  @ Keith R's post |  #3

They almost look like toys....very impressive photo's. :D

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

SonicTarget
258 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2008 12:55 |  #4

Amazing photos. And they do look like adorable toys.

Photonfinder
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 27, 2008 13:07 |  #5

Thank you all! They are a lot smaller than most people think so yes, they are a lot like toys. Although I don't know if I would want #5 as a toy!

David Beaman

SonicTarget
258 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 27, 2008 14:17 |  #6

Photonfinder wrote in post #5993908 (external link)
Thank you all! They are a lot smaller than most people think so yes, they are a lot like toys. Although I don't know if I would want #5 as a toy!

I don't know, he's kind of cute, like a walkin'-talkin' puffin :D

Wagspdx
222 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Jul 27, 2008 16:00 |  #7

Wow! I see how folks get fixated on puffins, they're such amazing birds. Thanks for the pix. #6 looks like it should be hanging in the hall of famous ancestors - very cool.

Bob
50D * EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, EF 1.4X II Extender
Flickr (external link)

sugarzebra
Cream of the Crop
9,289 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 27, 2008 17:09 |  #8

Great series of a bird I hope to see some day. Excellent work David.

Scott

Website & Blog (external link)

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2008 17:12 |  #9

wow those are awesomes. all i cany say about it.

Bill 1

winning is fun and second is for loser
I got Mitch hook on wide angle :lol::lol:
Gear list
http://billpham.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

happybee
83 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 27, 2008 17:29 |  #10

Wow nice shots. I recently had been in Bar Harbor Maine and I took a puffin and whale watch tour. The puffins that I saw looked like little black chickens in the water because the boat did not come to close to them. I had my canon 40D and the 70-300 lens and I was not able to take a good shot. So for those of you who consider taking a puffin tour: unless you want your puffins to look like a little black chickens on the water do not take a Bar Harbor puffin tour, go for a Machias Island.....

Redrib
Goldmember
2,387 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 27, 2008 18:58 |  #11

Beautiful shots of an adorable bird. I would love to see one someday!

roothy123
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 27, 2008 19:32 |  #12

These are great. I think I like number 1 best, but 5 and 6 are great, too. I know some people prefer motion in a bird shot, but I love a classic shot when it comes to puffins. I was also at Machias recently. It is so wonderful. I had been there before (long time before - 1992) and this time I came away with better shots because I knew more what I was doing and also had a longer lens. However, it's a great place because you can get good shots even with a little point and shoot. You gotta love those puffins!

Photonfinder
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 27, 2008 21:59 |  #13

roothy123 wrote in post #5995777 (external link)
These are great. I think I like number 1 best, but 5 and 6 are great, too. I know some people prefer motion in a bird shot, but I love a classic shot when it comes to puffins. I was also at Machias recently. It is so wonderful. I had been there before (long time before - 1992) and this time I came away with better shots because I knew more what I was doing and also had a longer lens. However, it's a great place because you can get good shots even with a little point and shoot. You gotta love those puffins!

yeah the people we were sharing the blinds with had little point and shoot camera's but got some pretty good shots, battery life wasn't good for them though. This cocky german guy (who claimed he only needed 10 shots!) once stayed with the lighthouse keeper way back when.

David Beaman

Normcar21
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 27, 2008 23:17 |  #14

I always love good photos of this bird! Thanks for sharing this bundle of loveliness!

Mark II and III; 17-40L; 24-70L; 50/1.8; 85/1.2L; 70-200/2.8L IS; 200/1.8L; 100-400L IS; Sigma 50-500; 1.4x, 2x extenders.
Looking to help fund another's 5D II purchase with $1200.00 Canadian 4 their ol' 5D Mark I (then I can cancel my order, get some fullframe & save some cash) :DDream on

donlavange
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 29, 2008 08:11 |  #15

Photonfinder wrote in post #5993700 (external link)
I went up to Machias Island off the coast of Maine (claimed by both the US and Canada) that is a breeding ground for puffins with my grandfather (Don LaVange). I had a Mark III with a 70-200 F/4 IS lens and a 1.4x extender.

All criticism and comments are welcome! :)

Nice stuff David! The only thing I would add for the record is that the lens was the 70-200 f2.8L, not the F4.

And Andy, the Captain of the "Barbara Frost", that runs these trips out of Cutler Maine, is a rare individual, who cares about his customers and getting them to have and understand this great experience. He takes the extra time to get you photo ops in addition to the Puffins and the Razorbills. We saw Seals and shot them as well as a few Eagles in the distance and Guilliemots in the water. I was his guest twice this year.

Don LaVange
You cannot control the wind, but you can set the sails!
"Follow your Bliss"--- Joseph Campbel

sponsored links

1,781 views & 0 likes for this thread
Puffin Pictures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.