Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jul 2008 (Monday) 21:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off Camera 580EX II w/pocket wizards slave master???

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 28, 2008 21:38 |  #1

Hey Guys,

I'm very well versed in off camera lighting with speedlights and Pocket Wizards, I always use them in M mode and use multiple PW's, adjusting the lights manually to get what I want.

What I'd prefer to do is use two 580 EX II's with one Pocket Wizard to fire the master and then have a slave.

I can make this work with one 580EX II mounted to my body and run it as the master and fire the slave but I when I take it off camera and plug in the PW it won't fire the master, thus not firing the slave.

The reason I don't want to use my 3rd PW is I want it to fire a 2nd body while I'm shooting the off camera lighting.

Is there a way to get the PW's to fire the 580EX II's while in a "master/slave" relationship?

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 28, 2008 22:10 |  #2

Just type in "hybrid triggering" in the search feature and read for a couple of days.

Can it be done - yes.

Are there all sort of bumps, kinks, and unexpected intrigue - also yes.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Lotto
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 29, 2008 02:38 |  #3

The PC port of the 580 II is disabled in master mode. Use a hotshoe adapter to connect the PW should work. The sync speed is limited to 1/125 when using the manual master setup.

If you use the 3rd PW for the second camera, the 2nd camera will not be able to sync to the flashes connect to the 1st camera, because of the delays and shutter lag.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2008 08:30 |  #4

Lotto wrote in post #6005084 (external link)
The PC port of the 580 II is disabled in master mode. Use a hotshoe adapter to connect the PW should work. The sync speed is limited to 1/125 when using the manual master setup.

If you use the 3rd PW for the second camera, the 2nd camera will not be able to sync to the flashes connect to the 1st camera, because of the delays and shutter lag.

Thanks,

So that brings the discussion around to...

I want to fire 2 bodies and flashes to capture the same image from two different angles, what would be the best way to do this?

McKinney, TX

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 29, 2008 08:38 |  #5

taygull wrote in post #6006124 (external link)
Thanks,

So that brings the discussion around to...

I want to fire 2 bodies and flashes to capture the same image from two different angles, what would be the best way to do this?

The only way to sync two cameras to one light source is to use Pocket Wizard MultiMax units. The regular Plus or Plus II units cannot be synced together for this setup to work consistently.

...Leo

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2008 08:42 |  #6

PacAce wrote in post #6006162 (external link)
The only way to sync two cameras to one light source is to use Pocket Wizard MultiMax units. The regular Plus or Plus II units cannot be synced together for this setup to work consistently.

Thanks, any idea what the lag is if no flashes are used? I know I can go test it but just curios if you knew the answer?

McKinney, TX

pjfrad
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2008 08:42 |  #7

What if you had two wireless (radio) shutter releases (like the phototix? ones) on the same channel so when you hit the remote button both cameras fired. Only one would need to fire the flashes...

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pjfrad/ (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 29, 2008 08:57 |  #8

taygull wrote in post #6006175 (external link)
Thanks, any idea what the lag is if no flashes are used? I know I can go test it but just curios if you knew the answer?

Before getting any deeper into this, I'd like to get a clarification on your requirement. Did you want to light up the images of both cameras using the same flash or did you just want to shoot one of the camera using available light and the other using the flash? If it's the former, then both cameras need to be triggered simultaneously so that when the flash goes off, both cameras will have the shutters open. And this requires close syncing of the cameras which is achievable by using MultiMax units.

If it's the latter, then there won't be any syncing issue because the flash will always sync with the camera that triggers it.

If you take the flash out of the equation, as long as both cameras are triggered remotely, both cameras will be taking essentially the same picture although from different perspectives. However, if one camera is used to trigger the other, then of course, there's going to be a lag between the first camera and the 2nd camera but for most practical purposes, it's not much to worry about as long as the 2nd camera is pretriggered and doesn't have to focus and meter before the picture is actually taken.

...Leo

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 29, 2008 09:01 |  #9

pjfrad wrote in post #6006177 (external link)
What if you had two wireless (radio) shutter releases (like the phototix? ones) on the same channel so when you hit the remote button both cameras fired. Only one would need to fire the flashes...

This setup may work every now and then, maybe, but the results won't be consistent unless you can ensure that the camera with the longest shutter lag is used to fire the flash and the sync speed used is long enough to take the shutter lag of the slower camera into consideration.

...Leo

pjfrad
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2008 09:02 |  #10

PacAce wrote in post #6006257 (external link)
This setup may work every now and then, maybe, but the results won't be consistent.

Ok, thanks. I've considered doing it but have never actually tried.

Peter

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pjfrad/ (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2008 13:27 |  #11

PacAce wrote in post #6006239 (external link)
Before getting any deeper into this, I'd like to get a clarification on your requirement. Did you want to light up the images of both cameras using the same flash or did you just want to shoot one of the camera using available light and the other using the flash? If it's the former, then both cameras need to be triggered simultaneously so that when the flash goes off, both cameras will have the shutters open. And this requires close syncing of the cameras which is achievable by using MultiMax units.

If it's the latter, then there won't be any syncing issue because the flash will always sync with the camera that triggers it.

If you take the flash out of the equation, as long as both cameras are triggered remotely, both cameras will be taking essentially the same picture although from different perspectives. However, if one camera is used to trigger the other, then of course, there's going to be a lag between the first camera and the 2nd camera but for most practical purposes, it's not much to worry about as long as the 2nd camera is pretriggered and doesn't have to focus and meter before the picture is actually taken.

What I'm wanting to do is a "sports action shot" where the subject is kicking a ball, I'd do it at dusk or night so the background is dark. The result I'm looking for is for the player to be kicking the ball, lit up by flash and have the same image from two different perspectives.....make sense?

McKinney, TX

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 29, 2008 15:17 |  #12

taygull wrote in post #6007656 (external link)
What I'm wanting to do is a "sports action shot" where the subject is kicking a ball, I'd do it at dusk or night so the background is dark. The result I'm looking for is for the player to be kicking the ball, lit up by flash and have the same image from two different perspectives.....make sense?

If you have your handheld camera triggering the remote camera and the flash, only the picture taken by the handheld camera will be lit by the flash. The picture taken by the remote camera will not be lit by the flash so it'll either be underexposed, if shot in manual or Tv mode, or the moving players will be blurry if shot in Av mode.

...Leo

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2008 21:59 |  #13

PacAce wrote in post #6008254 (external link)
If you have your handheld camera triggering the remote camera and the flash, only the picture taken by the handheld camera will be lit by the flash. The picture taken by the remote camera will not be lit by the flash so it'll either be underexposed, if shot in manual or Tv mode, or the moving players will be blurry if shot in Av mode.

Thanks!

I'm looking at just renting the above mentioned version of the PW, any advice on using them? How many will I need 4? One for each body and one for each light?

McKinney, TX

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2008 22:04 |  #14

Chris, this might answer some questions for you.

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com/HTML/plus2_video​.asp (external link)

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2008 22:08 |  #15

gromeo wrote in post #6010437 (external link)
Chris, this might answer some questions for you.

http://www.pocketwizar​d.com/HTML/plus2_video​.asp (external link)

That is a nice video, I do that technique quite often..pretty simple and effective.

What I'm trying to do is fire 2 cameras and 2 lights at the exact same moment! Not something typically done.

McKinney, TX

sponsored links

2,428 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off Camera 580EX II w/pocket wizards slave master???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.