Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Jul 2008 (Tuesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

quick help re location

blue_bug
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 29, 2008 14:26 |  #1

help pls!!! i am doing some bridal portraits for a friend of mine on saturday... were planning on taking some outside of a local church with some nice arches... a member from that church told her only members were allowed to take pictures there...no sign is posted saying "no trespassing" so i thought we should be fine...wdyt? should we just show up, should i call and ask???

sponsored links
bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 29, 2008 21:52 |  #2

Speak to the preacher.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 30, 2008 08:31 as a reply to  @ bwolford's post |  #3

A church is private property if you don't want a trespassing charge I would make arrangements with the head of the church. And to be honest I have heard of this in the past. A church and its grounds are costly things to erect and maintain, many want them to be of exclusive use of the congregation. And as far as no trespassing signs would you walk into someone's home garden and set lights and have some one posing for shots with out clearing it first?

blue_bug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 30, 2008 09:05 |  #4

you can really be charged if there's not a sign posted??? i thought they could only ask you to leave...but imo, there's a BIG difference between a place that welcomes visitors, and a private residence...oh and it's not a garden, nothing trampled, just brick arches, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

alduin
915 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2008 10:20 |  #5

Private property is private property. Taking pictures on someone's front porch without asking would be trespassing as well. It doesn't have to involve property damage.

7D+BG-E7 | 5D | G9 | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 10-22mm | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN565EX
Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 | 680B/234RC

aram535
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 31, 2008 08:43 as a reply to  @ alduin's post |  #6

I believe that if you're standing on public property, (i.e. the sidewalk/road, etc) you can shoot into private property. If they have asked you not to walk on their property than that's as good as a 'no trespassing' sign posted.

Gear List * www.tranquilphotos.com (external link) * My Blog (external link)

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 01, 2008 01:37 |  #7

Down at the local church there isn't a "no killin' " sigh either, doesn't mean it doesn't still apply.

Lack of a sign does not mean the property is not private.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 01, 2008 01:52 |  #8

My take:

If this is a serious shoot, it should be handled in a professional manner. Asking for permission before trespassing is always a good idea. Specially given the circumstances, saying one will be there for a handful of minutes and then out, should not be an issue.

Unless the photoshoot is more about the fun factor, and everyone understands what is at stake.

I am a huge advocate for "capture and ask later", though it does not usually work if one is breaking into the Governor's office for a candid photo.

Anyhow, my point is -if it were me, and it were a paid or serious shoot- I'd let someone at the property know "hey, I wanted to jump in, take a few pics of them, and get out" and then spend time admiring the hell out of the property owner, his flowers, building, whatever it might be.

My opinion anyways,

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
quick help re location
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.