Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 28 Jul 2008 (Monday) 20:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Abusive relationship

frzndaqiri
284 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 31, 2008 16:34 |  #16

When you try to make something seen from a distance, you tend to write in all caps, as normal case just doesn't have the same impact.

It's also possible she HAS run away, and is just trying to survive now that she's ended the relationship.

In any case, it's a nice composition with the woman in the foreground striding past.

sponsored links
roffy
73 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 31, 2008 16:44 |  #17

zacker wrote in post #6014776 (external link)
unfortunatly, it doesnt matter who wrote it, if A police officer sees this, shouldnt he stop and at least question her or bring her to a shelter? If she is being beaten by someone, surly there must be something authorities should be doing for her. no? Like someone says, if she is that afraid, why would she sit on the streets with a sign instead of going to a shelter and getting away?

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like rehab wouldn't be a bad place for her to be right now.

Interesting shot though. I think it evokes different emotions in me though. When I see people like this I see people who don't really want to change. I see a scam. I see someone who disturbs the peace. We write our own story. Now, don't get me wrong, I think men who beat women are pieces of crap, but I think that is only a small part of her problems.

Zee Canon 40D can neva fail! :evil:

CuriousAustin
175 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 31, 2008 21:38 |  #18

A very touching image.

Gear List ~ Flickr (external link)

geharp
40 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 01, 2008 06:52 |  #19

zacker wrote in post #6014776 (external link)
unfortunatly, it doesnt matter who wrote it, if A police officer sees this, shouldnt he stop and at least question her or bring her to a shelter? If she is being beaten by someone, surly there must be something authorities should be doing for her. no? Like someone says, if she is that afraid, why would she sit on the streets with a sign instead of going to a shelter and getting away?

I thought I might have some insight into this.....(im a police officer)
I would try and talk to her but odds are its either a scam or she's already out of the relationship....could still be in it I suppose but usually abusers like to keep it quite....their way of keeping control....
on another note....i had a lady in the ER the other day with 2nd degree burns down 50% of her leg...and she still wouldn't even tell me her name...or anything....Police can only help people who are willing to help themselves....sad but too often true part of my daily life.

On the photo...I love it the desaturation is a nice touch...i like the person standing to the left while she pleads adds that extra hopelessness that it needed....great work

George

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Aug 01, 2008 07:04 |  #20

geharp wrote in post #6025492 (external link)
I thought I might have some insight into this.....(im a police officer)
I would try and talk to her but odds are its either a scam or she's already out of the relationship....could still be in it I suppose but usually abusers like to keep it quite....their way of keeping control....
on another note....i had a lady in the ER the other day with 2nd degree burns down 50% of her leg...and she still wouldn't even tell me her name...or anything....Police can only help people who are willing to help themselves....sad but too often true part of my daily life.

On the photo...I love it the desaturation is a nice touch...i like the person standing to the left while she pleads adds that extra hopelessness that it needed....great work

Thanks for commenting on this from a real-world perspective.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

roffy
73 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 01, 2008 07:52 |  #21

geharp wrote in post #6025492 (external link)
Police can only help people who are willing to help themselves....sad but too often true part of my daily life.

Bingo! But the same goes for everyone. NO ONE can help them if they don't want to help themselves. I don't know what goes through peoples minds, I suppose they think one day they will wake up and all will be better without them needing to take the initiative to change.

Smad728
376 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 01, 2008 19:52 |  #22

Caysnco wrote in post #6003247 (external link)
wow....... powerful image.....

deffinatly

Sean.Devine.Photograph​y (external link)

sharkylittleton
41 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 01, 2008 19:53 |  #23

The de-saturation is a nice touch for this photo. It adds an icey/cold perspective to an already disturbing scene.

40d, AE-1, S3 IS
http://sharkylittleton​.zenfolio.com (external link)

chomish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 02, 2008 14:08 |  #24

Thanks alot for views and replies, really appreciate them.

I guess well never really know what the deal is with this one. But maybe that adds to the photo.

Thanx again, AL...

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 03, 2008 20:19 as a reply to  @ post 6027346 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

You have to want the help, to get it.

I suck at Photoshop.

Clearlight
280 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 03, 2008 20:44 |  #26

Assuming that you didn't ask her permission to take the photograph, I find these types of images somewhat exploitive. Yeah, I know you didn't legally need permission to do so, but my personal belief is that, morally, it would have been the proper thing to do.

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand"
-- Ansel Adams

about.me/marc.evans (external link)

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 03, 2008 23:08 |  #27

Clearlight wrote in post #6040578 (external link)
Assuming that you didn't ask her permission to take the photograph, I find these types of images somewhat exploitive. Yeah, I know you didn't legally need permission to do so, but my personal belief is that, morally, it would have been the proper thing to do.

I understand where you are coming from but IMO when you sit out in public, create a big sign, make sure everyone can see your condition you have "waved" some of those rights.

There are hundreds of places someone can get help without playing on the sympathies of the general public, this is why I don't support those on the street.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

roffy
73 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2008 00:11 |  #28

Clearlight wrote in post #6040578 (external link)

I think your opinion is in the minority.

Also, I think it's a bit naive to view everyone on the street as being a victim. Sure, they are a victim, but a victim of their own actions.
There are plenty of places a person can go to get help, the street is rarely it. You promote yourself on the sidewalks all day long, what's a picture going to hurt?

T.D.
33,609 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 04, 2008 00:15 |  #29

Ok folks, let's bring this back on topic. Debating issues surrrounding the subject of the photo is not what we're here for.

Thanks.

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

Clearlight
280 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 04, 2008 01:09 |  #30

T.D. wrote in post #6041798 (external link)
Ok folks, let's bring this back on topic. Debating issues surrrounding the subject of the photo is not what we're here for.
Thanks.

With all due respect to your status as a moderator, T.D., please allow me to respond.

Regardless of how some people may have misinterpreted my comment it had absolutely nothing to do with any issues surrounding the subject in the photo.

I shoot in skid row Los Angeles and Hollywood Blvd on a regular basis and I just find these types of from-the-hip, stealth shots somewhat immoral from an artistic point of view. It's just my opinion. No one has to like it, let alone agree with it, it just how I feel about it. The OP asked for comments so I gave him mine. That's really all there is to it.

The reality on the street is that many people do not like having their picture taken and I just think the right thing to do is ask first and than throw a dollar in the cup.

[Stepping down off of soap box]

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand"
-- Ansel Adams

about.me/marc.evans (external link)

sponsored links

4,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Abusive relationship
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.