Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eating at the wedding.

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 03, 2008 20:24 |  #1

Ok so we were out at my Wife's best friends wedding.

The photographer there was a bit lowball, 1800 dollars for a hell of a lot of items, total cost of nearly 1600 in prints and Wal-Mart prices.

Anyway.

When ever I have been at a wedding I have never seen the photographer eating.

Hell the good photographers I never seen, just a flash now and then.

However this photographer and his wife were setting down eating.

So here is my question, come reception time, do you set down and take a plate and chow down with the rest of the guests?

To me that seems kind of rude, obviously you don't want people taking pictures while eating, but a candid here and there is nice.

So what is everyone elses stance on this?

Me personally I eat a good carb loaded meal before the wedding to have plenty of energy and keep a granola bar or two around to grab if I start to run low on fuel.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

sponsored links
Mike30D
561 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 03, 2008 20:42 |  #2

I ask in the contract if they are going to feed me and my associate. If they are not going to feed us then we disappear to go find some chow when everyone else sits down to eat.

I don't see a problem with eating at the reception, it's a long day for you also.

Mike | flickr (external link) | Photos on Railpictures.net (external link) |

Dchemist
Goldmember
1,632 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Aug 03, 2008 21:32 as a reply to  @ Mike30D's post |  #3

I fed the photographer and assistant at my daughters wedding ( as well as the DJ).

POTN Book Vol4 Astronomy Image Manager and BC Member
20D, 5DMkII, 50F1.4, 100F2.8 macro, 135F2, 17-40F4, 70-200F2.8, 24-105F4, 580EX

Teachflute
239 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 03, 2008 22:14 |  #4

My assistant and I get a meal, also. It's in my contract as well. If they don't feed me, we take 1/2 during the reception to get food. Most weddings I do are the minimum of at least 8 hours (I generally shoot from the hair appointments through the bouquet toss and some of the reception.) Most brides and grooms don't have a problem with this. They understand that we need to eat if we're going to work for 8 hours. They'd rather have us there so we can capture anything that may happen, rather than leave.

I've only sat down at a reception and ate with the guests once and that was because the bride and groom were also friends of the family. Usually, I eat out on a porch, in a back room or in the kitchen.

Incidentally, the last wedding I photographed, the DJ and wedding coordinator also ate.

~Judi
http://www.faithfulpho​tos.com (external link)

turbo212003
852 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 03, 2008 22:52 |  #5

flyingwolf wrote in post #6040424 (external link)
Ok so we were out at my Wife's best friends wedding.

The photographer there was a bit lowball, 1800 dollars for a hell of a lot of items, total cost of nearly 1600 in prints and Wal-Mart prices.

Anyway.

When ever I have been at a wedding I have never seen the photographer eating.

Hell the good photographers I never seen, just a flash now and then.

However this photographer and his wife were setting down eating.

So here is my question, come reception time, do you set down and take a plate and chow down with the rest of the guests?

To me that seems kind of rude, obviously you don't want people taking pictures while eating, but a candid here and there is nice.

So what is everyone elses stance on this?

Me personally I eat a good carb loaded meal before the wedding to have plenty of energy and keep a granola bar or two around to grab if I start to run low on fuel.

Way to be classy my friend! It's sad you find the need to talk trash on another photographer FOR EATING.

Working 8 hours and eating a "granola bar or two" isn't healthy for you. Believe it or not, there is downtime during a reception when people are enjoying their food.

The photographer of the wedding was hired to shoot the wedding and I'm sure both parties understood he/she was going to eat. I don't really see how it's any of your business.

Gear List
http://www.grantwphoto​.com (external link)

Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 03, 2008 23:09 |  #6

At our wedding, we fed the videographer and assistant, photographer and assistant, and DJ.

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

JDB
400 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 03, 2008 23:22 |  #7

When I shoot a wedding, I expect to be fed, and the client knows this. I don't always get to eat what the guests are served (although probably 3/4 of the time I do); some venues just give you a little boxed meal that's usually a sandwich, about three bites of salad, some fruit, and a cookie, and sometimes we actually sit in a room or area away from the guests. The same usually goes for the videographers and DJ's I work with.

Even if it's just a light meal (which I don't consider a granola bar to be), eating something during the reception can help keep you fresh and energetic. By the time the reception rolls around, I've usually been on my feet running around for at least 6 hours, and even a 15 minute break for dinner makes me feel 10x better by the end of the night.

www.JasonBoulanger.com (external link)

AndreaBFS
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 03, 2008 23:31 |  #8

I fed my photographer as well as the DJ and everyone else providing services for the wedding who wasn't employed by the caterer (since they eat for free anyway ;) ). My DJ made the effort to call me later and thank me. Apparently some people don't feed them. I was pretty shocked.

I believe my caterer had a discount for service providers, but I had to pay for 150 plates so mine were full price either way. Even at $100 a plate, it wouldn't have been right to have them there for hours and right through dinner without giving them 30 minutes and a nice meal. But then, I'd offer the cable guy a sandwich if my repair took longer than expected, too. For me, it's just common courtesy.

mamato3
287 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2008 23:39 |  #9

I'm coming at this from a different perspective.
For many years, I was a caterer, and it is very standard for the photographer to get a meal. When I booked a function, we always discussed this, in case they hadn't thought of it. That's a very long day for the photographer, they need a meal and a break to rejuvinate - just like any other job.

Vicki :)

flyingwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 03, 2008 23:59 |  #10

turbo212003 wrote in post #6041284 (external link)
Way to be classy my friend! It's sad you find the need to talk trash on another photographer FOR EATING.

Working 8 hours and eating a "granola bar or two" isn't healthy for you. Believe it or not, there is downtime during a reception when people are enjoying their food.

The photographer of the wedding was hired to shoot the wedding and I'm sure both parties understood he/she was going to eat. I don't really see how it's any of your business.

I did not talk trash in the least bit, I said it was a low ball price for what he was offering, however let me clarify a bit here.

I personally don't feel right eating at a wedding as a photog.
I prefer to maybe grab a quick bite if needed in back room or whatnot. Sitting down with the guests as if I am one of the guests doesn't seem right.

As for the photog eating, in fact the bride asked me if it was customary for the photog to eat with the wedding party. I told her I don't personally do it but it may be something he does all the time. And that she should read her contract to see if its stated he woudl eat with the guests.

The comment about price was based on my own personal feeling, 1800 dollars for this wedding was what I would consider a major low ball offer.

Again I am asking for opinions and in no way putting down the photog, just stating my personal feelings on it and asking for some other ideas. I think the photog did a great job and for the most part was just a fly on the wal capturing some very nice shots.

As for working 8 hours and not eating, well I am not sure how to answer that. I used to work 8 to 9 hour shifts without a break all the time, as long as you eat a good meal before hand you don't need to be eating in the middle of a shift.

Perhaps its just a matter of different views, which is why I asked.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

ilantis
181 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 04, 2008 00:39 as a reply to  @ flyingwolf's post |  #11

Personally I feel it is only proper etiquette to feed those working for you on that day (photog, DJ, band, whomever). Or at the very least, allow them to eat a filling meal that they may have brought along. I do agree that they should eat in an area away from the guests as to not create an awkward situation for the table...as many have pointed out. They should also wait until all the guests are served before getting their own plate.

This is how things went down at my wedding and I had no problems doing so.

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 04, 2008 01:16 |  #12

This has been covered before. I eat at every wedding, if they don't want to feed me (very very rare) I leave to have a meal.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 04, 2008 02:21 |  #13

Think of it as a "task free lunch" system. At work, you have to have a 30 minute task-free lunch if you work 6 or more hours.
At a wedding, why should this be any different? You have to eat and have a breather in order to be healthy and remain on your toes. It's life... it's biology. If you want to skip this to provide full coverage, you're doing at your own expense because your body is going to be hating you later.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2008 08:48 as a reply to  @ madhatter04's post |  #14

I eat at weddings and around my area the venue's usually charge for photographers, their staff, DJ's, Bands and their staff. They specifically ask how many as they are included in the head count whether they eat or not. Besides 8-10 hours without a decent meal will greatly reduce your ability to be at your best during the later part of the event. And leaving could cost you that one great photo where Uncle so&so went and goosed Aunt whatshername.

Noel_
171 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2008 08:54 |  #15

Sports_Dude wrote in post #6041376 (external link)
At our wedding, we fed the videographer and assistant, photographer and assistant, and DJ.

Same here.

flickr (external link)
$5 off Animoto (external link), code: "esdynzig"

sponsored links

19,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eating at the wedding.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.