Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 02 Aug 2008 (Saturday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why did you choose to shoot Canon?

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2008 17:29 as a reply to  @ post 6038673 |  #31

I gave the reasons we went to Canon for a DSLR way back in post #4.

A quick history of our digital cameras is as follows:

[1995] Early Casio: less than VGA resolution, but one of the best for under $1000 (barely).

[1997] Sony Mavica: VGA resoultion and storage on a floppy disk. Wound up doing such a good job (for the time) that the Arizona Department of Corrections (for whom my wife worked) purchased several for recording prisoner identification marks and temporay id badges for work details.

[2000] Sony Cybershot: with 2MP resolution and a good 400mm+ zoom lens, our first birding camera. Actually quite good.

[2002] Nikon CoolPix 5700: very good 6MP camera for the $$$, but very, very poor manual focus system (had to reset for each shot).

[2004] Casio Exilim: 8mp, good camera overall, but terrible for our purposes (birding), bad choice on my part. We got it as a pocket-sized backup to the Nikon, and sold it for a song in about 6 mos (along with aux wide-angle & telephoto lenses).

[2005] Canon EOS 20D: excellent 8.2MP camera (now our second-body camera).

[2008] Canon EOS 30D: another, even better 8.2MP camera (our primary camera).

sponsored links
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 03, 2008 22:06 |  #32

My Dad gave me my first camera when I was young and it was a Canon. Take good photos so I always figured why change.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

TomTomTuning
Goldmember
1,983 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 04, 2008 01:08 |  #33

Funny story, my co-worker showed me this site that had an Unbelievable price on a Canon 40D. Started to look into the camera and found out it was really nice. I was set on buying one until i found out the site was a scam.

2 months later i had enough saved up to buy it, and its been an on going addiction.

I got my 40D late December, early January

5D Mark III, 40D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 50L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Gear List & Feedback Links
Flickr (external link) l 500px (external link) l Google+ (external link)

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 04, 2008 08:35 |  #34

I went looking for a new/better camera about four years ago and found the Canon Pro 1 and when I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR I was already familiar with Canon, and I found this forum. So I went for the Xt..

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Aug 04, 2008 08:38 |  #35

TaDa wrote in post #6032181 (external link)
I did a search, and the last thread about this was from March 2005. Considering how much technology has changed in the last couple years, I'm curious as to why "YOU" specifically chose to go with Canon.

I'll go first.

When I first was evaluating dSLRs, I was really considering the Nikon D60, but chose to go with the Rebel XT because from everything I had read, buy glass over a body, and from spending 2 hours at B&H, I thought that the Nikon lenses were too expensive compared to Canon. I also then started looking online and seeing a very very healthy second-hand market for Canon lenses where there wasn't nearly the same volume of used Nikkor lenses.

My reason was most of my family have shot Canon over the years and stood by them. I have always been comfortable using them and their glass to match. Whilst I do not know them inside out like others, I have that reassurance that I am buying technology which is proven through and through.

I could say the same about Nikon but it has not been something my family have used until recently.

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 04, 2008 09:31 |  #36

Around 2000ish I decided to get serious about photography again after shooting with a couple digitals cameras for a while (Casio QV-10, Ricoh RDC-4200 and Olympus C-3000Z). I decided to go back to film, and I didn't really care about brand loyalty, so I just opened the Sunday paper one weekend, looked for the latest Samy's Camera ad, and found a good sale price on a Rebel 2000 with a couple Tamron lenses, so I bought it. I learned fairly quickly that the lenses were very low quality, so I soon ended up buying a Canon 28-135 and 75-300.

As far as digital goes, I was starting to build up some brand loyalty there, and stuck with Olympus for a while longer, and I still have one I shoot with just as often as anything else. But, when I decided to get a digital SLR, the choice was easy since I already had some Canon EF lenses. I bought the 10D as soon as it was available.

So, for P&S or higher end compact digitals, I tend to prefer Olympus. But, for my DSLRs and lenses, I buy only Canon.

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2008 09:35 |  #37

TomTomTuning wrote in post #6042015 (external link)
Funny story, my co-worker showed me this site that had an Unbelievable price on a Canon 40D. Started to look into the camera and found out it was really nice. I was set on buying one until i found out the site was a scam.

2 months later i had enough saved up to buy it, and its been an on going addiction.

I got my 40D late December, early January

Sounds like you had a merry Christmas / happy Hanukkah / joyful Kwanza / celebratory Solstice / pleasant Holiday-of-Your-Choice!

Photo ­ Ross
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 04, 2008 12:28 |  #38

I got Canon because the guy at the store said it was better.

blastcareers.com

Zepher
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 04, 2008 16:17 |  #39

I chose Canon because they make the best glass. I started out in Video Production, recording out in the field, as well as in the studio doing shows and whatnot. All of the Sony cameras we used had Canon glass, and the lenses were excellent.

Manny Desantos
Intel C2Q Q6600 3.06Ghz, 8GB Ram, 8.1TB, XFX HD5850, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, PS CS4 EXT (external link)

Canon 40D, EF 28-70L, 2x Canon XH-A1 HDV, Canon HV30 HDV
❶_______________

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Aug 04, 2008 22:18 |  #40

I liked the feel and the operation of Canon gear 35 years ago...nothing has changed. I don't like the way Noinks feel in my hands. The controls just don't work the way I would expect or want them to and the coating on the bodies just feels creepy. Hell...I am still regretting buying a Chevy because the cruise control is so screwy...Ford cruise is on a whole different level. Amazing how little things can make a difference.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2008 22:22 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #41

Amen to that, Woolburr! It's the little things that make operating something like a car (or a camera) a joy or a chore.

An' that, Mr. Man, is why they makes choc'lit! Not everbody likes vaniller!

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Aug 04, 2008 23:13 |  #42

20droger wrote in post #6047593 (external link)
Amen to that, Woolburr! It's the little things that make operating something like a car (or a camera) a joy or a chore.

An' that, Mr. Man, is why they makes choc'lit! Not everbody likes vaniller!

I seem to recall something being said about that being one of the main reasons Baskin-Robbins enjoys their level of success.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,164 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 04, 2008 23:23 |  #43

It's been asked a lot more recently than 2005, but I'm always ready to repeat myself on this one;

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #5268649 (external link)
There was a thread a few months back where I went into greater detail, but I can't find that one .. :lol:

I'll try to be breif but...

For any venture in which I am going to be doing a long term investment with significant capital, I like to be sure that my dollar is being used to it's best advantage not only for me personally, but in total.

I want to buy from vendors that I feel are "worthy" of my loyalty..

And for something with as much $$ value attached as Camera equipment or Automobiles etc.. I want to only support a companies that give something back as well.

Canon has an EXTENSIVE record of Philanthropy, and more specifically a very strong presence in supporting Wildlife funds both directly and indirectly via support for educating people on the issues through grants to PBS and programming geared towards Wildlife and Nature.

This to me is the most important reason.. as long a the equipment remains relatively on par,. this will have a larger impact on my than who has the most spiffy piece of gear this week.
Fortunately Canon also tends to be the one with the most spiffy bit of kit most weeks in the last 10 years..

Watch "Nature" or any of a number of other fantastic educational programs on PBS. Discovery etc..

"Partial Funding for this program was provided by Canon.
See the World in Canon Color, " etc...

http://www.pbs.org/wne​t/nature/sponsors.html (external link)
I shoot Canon and Drive Toyota :)

See also
http://www.google.com …+Philanthropy&b​tnG=Search (external link)

http://www.google.com …+philanthropy&b​tnG=Search (external link)

the Google search I have above is "Canon Philanthropy" and the results go on for pages,..

Now try "Nikon Philanthropy" and see that none of the results you get are pertinent..

Noink has been around as long as Canon and used to be in the lead re: Camera sales in the film days, and yet, they give next to nothing back. All the Noink Programs we see are geared towards there own marketing, (Nikon School or how to train new Noink customers, etc..)

Noink is actually on my Boycott list for there total indifference to these issues.

I'd ask everyone that reads this to consider such thing in all there capital investments. Let your dollars support the companies that do good work, let your purchases also be your votes of support for them to KEEP doing good work.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2008 10:10 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #44

Amen.

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Aug 05, 2008 11:05 |  #45

I was 17 and my father bought me an AE-1. We had a darkroom and did our own prints. I've been in the Canon camp ever since.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

sponsored links

24,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why did you choose to shoot Canon?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.