Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Aug 2008 (Tuesday) 04:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WANTED: Tips on how to shoot horses...

johnz
529 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 05, 2008 14:28 |  #16

Oh, i really didn't even check it. I thought that i couldn't have upsetted the one who's asking questions, i am just usually happy if my threads are alive and people post. My bad totally. But "get a life and go ruin some other message board", please.

I hope you get some good tips. Shooting horses shouldn't differ from shooting any moving subjects, there's lot of info on that. Key is in the motion, stick with slower shutter speeds when you want to get motion in the image, you can use the tricks of panning.
Also when metering with spot or center weighted remember to compensate the horse color, if the horse is white +2/3, if the horse is black -2/3. Camera metering always tries to make everything grey ( sort of ), so that's the way to get more accurate exposure, but you have to take into consideration that even the canon spot meter isn't really a spot meter, so this is not exact science.

- Tuomas Gustafsson
My smugmug (external link) - ( still on the works )
My gear list/ DOF calculator for Nokia phones
With Canon you can... spend all your money on glass.

sponsored links
LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 05, 2008 16:40 |  #17

Snow Goose, johnz: Thanks for the tips, they're both great...my mom used to have a daycare...I'll see if she had any rattles lying around ;)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2008 17:04 |  #18

The one item that will do you the most good is a coffee can or a plastic cup partially filled with grain. Horses know this sound immediately. If the person your shooting does a specific activity, you will want to get some of that. Speeds should be around 1/1000 for action shots and even then you could get a little motion blur. Placing yourself on the ground can get you some interesting angles. I have a few favorite types of shots. One is full horse and rider quartering. You are in front of them at an angle and you shoot the entire horse and rider. A very nice version of this is to get the rider from the boots up. If you want to catch the horses at the apex of a jump, you will have your best fortune just trying to time it rather than trying to use fast shutter repetition built into your camera. Another great shot is with the person and the horse's heads side by side. Make sure you get the horse's ears up. Horse feet are interesting.
People will yell at me for this but I have had very good fortune using fill flash with horses. I have the owner hold the horse loosely early in the session and fire just my flash several random times. This tells me if the horse has a problem with it. So far, none have. My theory is that they see lightning all the time and therefore don't think it is a big deal. Some of my best shots are the horse and owner in the shade under a tree with fill flash. Use AI Servo and an f stop of f7 or f8 if you can get it without lower your speed too much.
Here is a shot....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

dixiedawn
213 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 05, 2008 19:25 |  #19

I can't help on the tips and techniques, but for some good examples check out the work of Bob Langrish, possibly the most well-known equine photographer. He does most of the calendars, posters, books...

http://www.boblangrish​.com …0langrish%20gal​leries.php (external link)

hth

debbie

vinunleaded
428 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 05, 2008 19:25 |  #20

sorry im new to this side of the forum. I didnt know that joke has been played for over a thousand times here. But honestly I was watching a violent TV show when I saw this thread. It surprised me for a second.

rpearce12 wrote in post #6050196 (external link)
Vin, you know exactly what he meant. This is a photography forum, not a hunting one. When someone says they want to shoot something, the blatant implication is that they want to shoot it with their camera, not a gun. There's no need to be immature. The title may sound somewhat inappropriate, but there's no need to give him (i'm assuming) grief for it.

Sorry, but I don't think horses are my forte. Also Lowrider, you might want to add your name to your sig.

Canon 5DII + 70-200 2.8 IS L + 580EXII
Canon 5Dc + 24-70 2.8L + 580EXII
Shoreline, WA
http://www.thuanphotog​raphy.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/thuthuan/ (external link)

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 05, 2008 20:12 |  #21

no worries vin :)

dixie..thanks for the excellent link :)

-=Gear=-

PhotosGuy
75,594 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 05, 2008 22:14 |  #22

Beginning Equine Photography

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 05, 2008 22:43 |  #23

thank you, sir! helpful as always :)

-=Gear=-

shadowcat
855 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 06, 2008 05:21 |  #24

Get a gun put it to the horses head and pull the trigger that's how to shoot a horse. LOL just kidding.

Canon 5D MK2 with grip,7D w/grip,G1x,300mm 2.8is, 35 1.4L, 24-70 2.8II, 85 1.8, 70-200L 2.8 is, 100L macro, 2x& 1.4 tele, canon pro9000 printer, 600ex-rt,580ex 2 flash, macro flash
my photo's http://s335.photobucke​t.com/albums/m476/oneb​adkitty1969/ (external link)

rpearce12
Goldmember
1,678 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 06, 2008 08:54 |  #25

Vin, don't worry about it. It just gets old when people purposefully say things like that.

Richard

My Gear
Smug Mug (external link)
http://s101.photobucke​t.com/albums/m70/rpear​ce12/ (external link)

FocalPrincess
Cream of the Crop
8,223 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 06, 2008 09:05 |  #26

Snow Goose wrote in post #6051780 (external link)
I am not a horse photographer but I have horses and have watched pro horse photoraphers work (on Arabians). It is not a one person activity - you need help. The goal is to make the horse look alive a alert not bored and tired as I have seen in many for sale ads. You can use a rattle can (some small rocks in a bleach bottle works) or a short whip with an empty plastic bag attached to it ( not to whip the horse but to get its attention). I have also seen them use a person with a bear skin draped over them to get the horse's attention. These techniques are use for the "halter pose". For action shots a rattle can works great to get the horse to trot, snort and be frisky. Basically, you want the horse to look alert, alive and somewhat spirited ( my experience is only with Arabians so other breeds may require a different approach).
Like I said, I am not a horse photographer. These are just my observations. Get a copy of Arabian Horse World and look at some of the photos there.
Bob

Just be reaaaaaaaaally careful not to spook the horse, or you'll get some REALLY interesting shots. Shake GENTLY....lol

Blog (external link) | Galleries (external link)http://www.dbimpressio​ns.com (external link) "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the
gift is nothing without work." ~ Emile Zola

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 06, 2008 10:34 |  #27

On the other hand, being nervous is the very worst thing you can do. Relaxed, no fast movement. Take your time. A horse will give you what you expect him too. If you expect a rodeo, you will certainly get one.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

MysticalPhoto
128 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 11, 2008 10:41 |  #28

If your doing horses in motion, you need to learn the gaits. Normally you don't want to take pictures of horses walking. It never makes a pretty picture. If your doing trot pictures, you want the inside leg (closest to you) coming down as you take the shot. For the canter, you want the horse to be launching off their hind end. If you get pictures of them on the forehand, it won't look pretty.

For conformation shots, make sure you stand diagonal to their shoulder. This makes their conformation really appeal in the pics. Head shot, always make sure there ears are forward. Shots head on are a no no.. stand digonal to their eye. If you can get them to turn their neck, thats even better.

Check out my website.. you'll see all kinds of shots..

www.mysticalphotograph​y.com (external link)

Mystical Photography

New England Equine Photography

Mystical Photography (external link)
Follow Us On Facebook (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,594 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 12, 2008 09:19 |  #29

If your doing horses in motion, you need to learn the gaits. Normally you don't want to take pictures of horses walking. It never makes a pretty picture. If your doing trot pictures, you want the inside leg (closest to you) coming down as you take the shot. For the canter, you want the horse to be launching off their hind end. If you get pictures of them on the forehand, it won't look pretty.

This is why I told Jon that I don't shoot 1 horsepower! :D

My first & last attempt:
Horsies" - A CMHA Equestrian Event

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 12, 2008 09:30 |  #30

I am a wedding shooter but have shot many horses for couples and the area I live everyone seems to have horses and wants photos of them.

Here is what I have learned shooting horses. First I like to shoot them in the late afternoon/evening, many times they are more calm before bed time. They are not running around scaring the daylights out of me because they are winding down. I always approach shooting them slowly--- letting the horse get comfortable with me then ease into shooting (photographing them). I never use a flash for horses--- or do anything that is quick-- just show soft shooting.

Let the horse get comfortable and then shoot them as they move around naturally---- and don't ever approach them for the back (no filter will work if they kick).

I have found horses a bit more predictable than kids. Most of the time you can get great shots and they tolerate you. I typically make my horse shoots quick and do not spend more than an hour with them.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sponsored links

1,885 views & 0 likes for this thread
WANTED: Tips on how to shoot horses...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.