Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 06 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 03:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"another wave"~ a selection

corterlifecrisis
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 06, 2008 03:11 |  #1

hey guys, i've been posting randomly the past few years, here's some new work i've been doing. it's film, all scanned in on a canon scanner, and everything will be printed 20" x 30" for show. the group is about seeing the ocean not as an escape, but as support. it's an exercise in being hasty, imperfect, and open. here they are, c+c appreciated as i'm not finished with the concept or the body of work

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/2738204070_f913dff923.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2738202830_29fcee6e5b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/2737369067_35f9503198.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3173/2732367429_3f3a490113.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2732366893_5da764d0b6.jpg

Gear.Blog (external link).Photos (external link)"Doesn't mother nature make a war look silly?"

sponsored links
corterlifecrisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 07, 2008 00:43 |  #2

nothing?

Gear.Blog (external link).Photos (external link)"Doesn't mother nature make a war look silly?"

corterlifecrisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 07, 2008 23:18 |  #3

i dunno...not the right type of work i guess...thanks anyways :rolleyes:

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2008 01:06 |  #4

I like the 1st one. They do look a tad overprocessed with the blues. Back off on those blues and try warming it up a bit.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,363 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 08, 2008 09:47 |  #5

They are noisy, poorly exposed and, except for the first, lack interesting composition. Does that make them art, and I just don't understand?

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

corterlifecrisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 08, 2008 23:18 as a reply to  @ sparker1's post |  #6

thanks for the words guys. a bit on the processing: they're shot on a high speed velvia, i think maybe 800? in a contax t2, that might explain the grain. like i said, they're hasty scans on purpose. the exposure looks fine on my monitor so i'll have to check others, the colors are very untouched and true to the slides. only photoshopping i did was get them a little less yellow, because my scanner warms everything up, but no levels or anything...the film's just very contrasty.

i'm interested in your comment on composition, sparker. could you elaborate on that more? out of all i posted, the first is my least favorite, because it's a very heavy frame- so i'm interested in your opinion.

paul-t
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 09, 2008 07:34 |  #7

For me the only one that's ok is the first, nice comp. with the beach/water leading you into the shot. But the horizon slope down to the l/h/s. this may be how it is but just looks wrong to me. The 3rd just looks out of focus, the others look like snap shot's to me sorry about that.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,363 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 09, 2008 10:51 |  #8

OK, my opinion is just that, not necessarily what others think. I look for some subject that is interesting. Even abstracts, IMO, need something that attracts the eye, such as geometric angles, strong colors, unusual patterns, etc.

Normally, I don't comment on photos that simply don't appeal to me. However, you seemed to be complaining about lack of comments.

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

corterlifecrisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 11, 2008 13:55 |  #9

ok cool. i think this forum is absolutely based more around "stock" type imagery, and this is absolutely not it. I also would tend to disagree with you about geometry, angles, strong colors, etc...in that the emptiness of the frames lend themself to thought, movement, and meditation. but that's why it's not done yet! thanks, your comments have absolutely made me rescan and edit a couple of these photos, and i'll deff. update when the project is done :)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,363 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 11, 2008 18:22 |  #10

Actually, I think this forum represents the broad range of interests and values you'll find across the general population. You seem to be going for a pretty narrow niche. That's great, just don't be surprised at a lack of comments here.

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 11, 2008 18:38 |  #11

Hey!
I must say I really like these photos (I must be in the narrow niche). I'm an 'art photography' major and will say that if we turned in maternity shots, baby photos, etc. for a show or for an assignment, we'd get skinned alive and nobody would really know what to think or if we were being serious. I'm sure the same goes for you. I like your photos because of the colors, the compositions, and because they illustrate the theme you are conveying. Great job!

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

corterlifecrisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 13, 2008 19:11 |  #12

thanks mate.

sparker- i guess your right in that this project will force the viewer to dig deeper than just traditional composition, and force them to break away from the digital "perfect picture" stereotypes. I think in general it will not appeal to the "general population"...i just hoped on a board of thousands it would appeal to 1 or 2 that could maybe lend a hand

johngpt
854 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 13, 2008 21:42 as a reply to  @ corterlifecrisis's post |  #13

I think the appeal of images such as these will depend a great deal upon the quality of the printing, and the medium upon which they're printed.

The compositions aren't unlike those one would see in oils or watercolors, where the texture of the pigment or paper is able to 'carry' the image's broad expanses of tone.

The size of the images which have been posted makes it difficult for me, on my monitor, to assess texture or quality of tone well.

John

AiGTs
535 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 13, 2008 23:50 as a reply to  @ johngpt's post |  #14

I like the style/feel of your photos. Nice work!

20D 24 2.8 85 1.8
M8 35Lux 50Lux 50Nok

sponsored links

2,439 views & 0 likes for this thread
"another wave"~ a selection
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.