Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Aug 2008 (Friday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question for selling photos

Playonpics.com
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 08, 2008 16:22 |  #1

A group that does paintball inside made a brochere saying all they offer with about 3 photos of mine it in. My question how do i charge them? They aren't high end or anything so whats your thoughts?

Also when they do promotions of events they use one of my photos... What do you usually charge for one photos for promotion of an event?

Curious to know.

Canon 1D MarkIII | Canon 7D | 70-200mm F/2.8L | 24-70mm F/2.8L| 300mm F/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII Flash | Computrekker | ThinkTank roller and beltsystem | Elinchrom (2) Dlites 4IT Canon Platinum CPS Member
www.playonpics.com (external link)

sponsored links
noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 08, 2008 17:41 |  #2

buy fotoquote or search for a similar licensing calculator to help you figure your cost to them.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 08, 2008 18:49 |  #3

There is a book, ASMP Professional Business Practices In Photography 6th ed. which has guidelines on how to determine a price.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 08, 2008 23:34 |  #4

I have heard a lot of people talk about fotoquote, but I have to tell you it looks like it was written by a 5 year old, is there something I am missing in the program?

Its is not able to go full screen, it uses editable text for instruction files (meaning I could change the instructions to say anything right from the program) and has almost no interface to speak of.

Is it maybe that I am working on 64 bit edition of windows.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 09, 2008 09:10 |  #5

They are using the photos now? With your permission? The cart may be before the horse here.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 09, 2008 15:01 |  #6

Hi,

As an event photographer (among other things) I often donate limited usage of some of my images to event organizers for promotional purposes. After all, it's just as much promotion for me as it is for them. This is a fair trade, I feel.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 09, 2008 15:53 |  #7

amfoto1 wrote in post #6077187 (external link)
Hi,

As an event photographer (among other things) I often donate limited usage of some of my images to event organizers for promotional purposes. After all, it's just as much promotion for me as it is for them. This is a fair trade, I feel.

Paintball may be one of those where everyone should pay for photos due to a few idiots. Check out https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=546168 for the horrors of not putting huge watermarks on posted material on top of any other failings. Giving them something is as good as saying no payment for you. Ever.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Playonpics.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 11, 2008 18:11 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #8

yes they are using the photos now.
But i NEVER once said they can use them for anything at all.
So that being said.
They have photos of a big banner as you walk in of one of my photos, along with other photos on it. A broshure of my photos 5 of them in it. And their paintball store toook a series shot and made it into a silioette of the player moving. Also mine.

So what price should i attach to this?
Mostly i want the broshure. since that is everywhere. and the brochure has the same shot as the banner has.

Canon 1D MarkIII | Canon 7D | 70-200mm F/2.8L | 24-70mm F/2.8L| 300mm F/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII Flash | Computrekker | ThinkTank roller and beltsystem | Elinchrom (2) Dlites 4IT Canon Platinum CPS Member

Playonpics.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2008 13:25 |  #9

so what price should i ask? 50$?

Floriantrojer.com
296 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 12, 2008 13:47 as a reply to  @ Playonpics.com's post |  #10

so what price should i ask? 50$?

Are you kidding?

They used ALL of your photos WITHOUT PERMISSION!?

That's ILLEGAL. Take somebody elses car for a ride, and you can be sure he won't just "charge you $50" :mad:

In theory you can take them to court, including all the hassles and expenses for you and them. But you'd win.

That being said, approach them, call them or email them saying that you are aware of the ILLEGAL!!!!! usage, and you want to discuss the matter to establish a price to compensate your work's usage.

Actually, charge whatever your want. Make sure to have a proof brochure and take a photo or two of your photos being used, in case they want to deny it.

You could charge $50, but that means you're being screwed.

Charge $500 PER image if you want. Tell them they got no case and what they did is against the law.

Then go and buy something nice for yourself.

But not $50...please :cry:

www.floriantrojer.com (external link)
---------------
Canon 1Dmk3, 20D + Lenses
---------------

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 12, 2008 14:03 |  #11

Where did they get your pictures?

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 12, 2008 14:13 |  #12

I agree with flori here, start at 500, it's the price for 10000 and less for corporate publication. And yes, 500 PER IMAGE.

Stocky brings up a good point, if you uploaded your photos to something like flickr, facebook, etc, you may be screwed. If you only have them on your personal site, hit them with the book. Just explain to them that a one time retroactive license will be XXX dollars per image for X number of images for a total of XXXX dollars, and they have 15 days to comply before legal action is taken. For now, register your images with the copyright office so if you do have to bring it to court, you'll be able to get your money.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Playonpics.com
THREAD ­ STARTER
929 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2008 16:54 |  #13

basroil wrote in post #6094261 (external link)
I agree with flori here, start at 500, it's the price for 10000 and less for corporate publication. And yes, 500 PER IMAGE.

Stocky brings up a good point, if you uploaded your photos to something like flickr, facebook, etc, you may be screwed. If you only have them on your personal site, hit them with the book. Just explain to them that a one time retroactive license will be XXX dollars per image for X number of images for a total of XXXX dollars, and they have 15 days to comply before legal action is taken. For now, register your images with the copyright office so if you do have to bring it to court, you'll be able to get your money.

i said 50$ because it would maybe spark some interest here.
Alright now the issue is 500$ in my mind is wayyyyy too much. if i do ask that they will take their own camera and do the shots. Won't be as good but it will meet their needs. I do want some money out of this. So that being said he wants 3 photos.
Now the photos came from www.playonpics.com/apb​l (external link) I do a league photography for theses but none the less they are COMPLETLY PROPERTY of me.
Another thing to think about i do the session or booking there for paintball. If i ask for an outragious price it could hurt me in other ways also. By sessions i mean i'm in charge of bachlor parties that come in to do paintball for 2 hours or whatever. SO i do work for them. But not as a photographer.

Floriantrojer.com
296 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 13, 2008 06:15 as a reply to  @ Playonpics.com's post |  #14

Again, I think you did not completely get our point.

You said they ALREADY USED your photos for brochures and in their store.

WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

For compensation of the ILLEGAL USAGE, you CAN charge whatever you want, because they acted against the law, so $500 would be perfectly fine.

---

You obviously want to work for them and sell photos.

Question: would you want to work for someone who perviously broke into your house??? I guess not.

Getting them to PAY for the ILLEGAL use will get you a lot more in monetary terms than you could for working with them "from time to time".

But of course if you don't care about the money, and rather keep a good relationship with them (which is not too smart imo, srry), tell them you know they used the photos without permission and get free paintball time or whatever.

www.floriantrojer.com (external link)
---------------
Canon 1Dmk3, 20D + Lenses
---------------

tim1960
688 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 13, 2008 06:43 |  #15

Are these friends of yours? Do you do photography as a business or just a hobby? Can you get any advertisement with the brochure? A lot of questions to ask yourself here.

First, I am not a pro and photograph for a hobby. I've given away a lot of pictures over the few years and sold a lot for near nothing compared to others. I think that you are the one that has to settle on the amount and feel comfortable with. If they were friends of mine and I only do this for a hobby, yes, maybe $50 would suffice and along with some free paintball. However, if they called me to make an appointment to do the shots, I think that I would have had some type of payment when I took the shots and worked out something then, not after the fact.

Again, if you're no pro, then what is fair to you? You may not want to give your work away but that's your call. Maybe if we could have a look at the brochure/shots it may help with making a decision on price.

T. Gray:)

sponsored links

1,902 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question for selling photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.