Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 Aug 2008 (Monday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't believe in DIBS!

Masta ­ Pasta
312 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 11, 2008 14:14 |  #1

This may have been covered before and, if so, my apologies.

I don't even like the word "dibs." Sounds puny and weak. But - to the point: When I sell an item or items, I don't believe in allowing prospective buyers to place "dibs" or a hold on anything. To my way of thinking, something is yours when you pay for it - period. There's just about nothing more aggravating than having someone do this and then delay payment for a day or more. Or, even better, I have had people e-mail me after placing a "dibs" on something and say - "I want it and I'll pay for it just as soon as I refill my Pay Pal account from a few things I am selling."

Uh, no - I don't think so.

Any thoughts on this? Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance for your time and brain power,

Ben

M50
EF-M 15-45, 22,11-18
430 EXII
Keeping it simple (always).

sponsored links
blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2008 14:19 |  #2

you are not being unreasonable. it is your item and you can choose who you will sell to and why. i for one only allow dibs to people that i know. other than that, the first person that says "i will take it" and pay for the item gets the goods. i have had way to many times where people say "dibs" and then disappear.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 11, 2008 14:21 |  #3

It disappeared for me the day I left school. I have never heard of this in a business context.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 14:47 |  #4

At another forum I frequent (With the BEST classifieds section on the internet, bar none), there are very strict rules (ISP e-mail address, 100 useful post count (no spam) minimum, etc) and there is also a dibs policy. The seller cannot choose to neglect certain buyers, he has to sell to the first person with the money willing to pay.

Should someone call "dibs" on an item, they MUST agree to all of the terms in the post (more that they cannot negotiate anything, all of the terms have to be worked out before the dibs). There is no "dibs if...", it's either dibs or nothing. Of course, you don't need to dib an item, but if you see someone selling the equivalent of a 70-200 2.8L IS for $1200 you sure are going to want it and hope you can get it before anyone else, and dibs is the surefire and fastest way to get said item.

Either way, dibs is definitely fair.

blonde: Selling to the first person to say "i will take it" is, pretty much, exactly the same as selling to the first person who says "dibs" ;)

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2008 15:03 |  #5

SolidxSnake wrote in post #6087657 (external link)
At another forum I frequent (With the BEST classifieds section on the internet, bar none), there are very strict rules (ISP e-mail address, 100 useful post count (no spam) minimum, etc) and there is also a dibs policy. The seller cannot choose to neglect certain buyers, he has to sell to the first person with the money willing to pay.

Should someone call "dibs" on an item, they MUST agree to all of the terms in the post (more that they cannot negotiate anything, all of the terms have to be worked out before the dibs). There is no "dibs if...", it's either dibs or nothing. Of course, you don't need to dib an item, but if you see someone selling the equivalent of a 70-200 2.8L IS for $1200 you sure are going to want it and hope you can get it before anyone else, and dibs is the surefire and fastest way to get said item.

blonde: Selling to the first person to say "i will take it" is, pretty much, exactly the same as selling to the first person who says "dibs" ;)

reread my post and you will see what i actually said.

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2008 15:04 |  #6

blonde wrote in post #6087477 (external link)
you are not being unreasonable. it is your item and you can choose who you will sell to and why. i for one only allow dibs to people that i know. other than that, the first person that says "i will take it" and pay for the item gets the goods. i have had way to many times where people say "dibs" and then disappear.

bolded for SolidXSnake...

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,990 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 11, 2008 15:09 |  #7

SolidxSnake wrote in post #6087657 (external link)

Well I reserve the right to choose who I will sell to. I might choose another person than the first wanting it.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

Masta ­ Pasta
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 11, 2008 15:17 |  #8

tommykjensen wrote in post #6087822 (external link)
Well I reserve the right to choose who I will sell to. I might choose another person than the first wanting it.

Heck of a concept...I am going with that.

M50
EF-M 15-45, 22,11-18
430 EXII

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 11, 2008 15:21 |  #9

tommykjensen wrote in post #6087822 (external link)

me too. I check feedback (both here and other places) before I'll ever agree to sell to someone. If someone has negative (or no) feedback, I won't sell to them. I figure it's my way of doing the best I can to avoid a bad deal. Just like as a buyer, I reserve the right to choose who I buy from.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

andrepaul
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 11, 2008 15:46 |  #10

Then how would you start buying/selling if you're new? Haven't had an issue, I bought from people here and I'd consider myself new, good thing not everyone feels that way.

I think the dibs work well, and the first person who posts in the thread and call 'dibs' is the first one who perhaps saw the item and is interested. I think that person is first in line, and negotiations about payment method etc. should be done with such person first. If that falls through, then go on to the next.

If however the argument is to hold the item til next two days or whatever, I say move on there and then.

andre|paul design + photography (external link)
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 11, 2008 15:51 |  #11

choomps wrote in post #6088090 (external link)
Then how would you start buying/selling if you're new? Haven't had an issue, I bought from people here and I'd consider myself new, good thing not everyone feels that way.

I think the dibs work well, and the first person who posts in the thread and call 'dibs' is the first one who perhaps saw the item and is interested. I think that person is first in line, and negotiations about payment method etc. should be done with such person first. If that falls through, then go on to the next.

If however the argument is to hold the item til next two days or whatever, I say move on there and then.

People calling "dibs" can quite easily stall a sale, or just dither until they decide not to go through with the transaction, or even worse, stall until they get around to selling whatever they're selling so they can afford what they've dibbed.

Sellers here are perfectly welcome to judge the worthiness of potential buyers. Often, they want to sell their items as soon as possible (not when it's most convenient for the first dibber). That being said, it's reasonable for them to chose the buyer who's closest (who might want to exchange cash for goods personally), or who has funds ready for immediate transfer.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Masta ­ Pasta
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 11, 2008 16:07 |  #12

Pete wrote in post #6088132 (external link)
People calling "dibs" can quite easily stall a sale, or just dither until they decide not to go through with the transaction, or even worse, stall until they get around to selling whatever they're selling so they can afford what they've dibbed.

Sellers here are perfectly welcome to judge the worthiness of potential buyers. Often, they want to sell their items as soon as possible (not when it's most convenient for the first dibber). That being said, it's reasonable for them to chose the buyer who's closest (who might want to exchange cash for goods personally), or who has funds ready for immediate transfer.

Well said and will consider this position the one to take.

Thank you, Pete.

Ben

M50
EF-M 15-45, 22,11-18
430 EXII

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 11, 2008 16:16 |  #13

choomps wrote in post #6088090 (external link)

When I was new here, I posted my ebay feedback as a reference. On ebay, it's pretty easy to build up a good feedback profile (as long as you pay for your goods). Sometimes people who are new here have a ton of references on FM or another forum. Sometimes new people give other references (maybe other members they've purchased from or people they know from the forum IRL who can vouch for them). There are ways to complete a sale, if one is new. However, if someone is new and doesn't have references and someone I know or recognize their username and can check their feedback is also interested in making the purchase, I would sell to the established member. It's just a safety in transactions.

What I appreciate about this forum's market place....each seller is allowed to choose how they want to do business (as long as it doesn't violate the basic rules of the marketplace).

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

scokar
Goldmember
1,076 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 11, 2008 16:42 |  #14

IMO, think 'dibs' is a way for potential buyers to say, 'if your current deal does not proceed, please consider selling to me".

is there a better method? probably. but i'm to lazy to look into one.

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 16:54 |  #15

blonde wrote in post #6087786 (external link)
bolded for SolidXSnake...

My bad. So if two people say "I'll take it", you sell to the first one, correct? Or do you choose which to sell to based on other reasons.

Selling at OCF (other forums I frequent), I've come to see dibs as instant buy, there is no backing out (you loose classifieds privilege).

When I say "dibs," I don't mean, "hold the item for me until I have funds"... it's "give me your paypal/street address so I can send you payment right now." There is no negotiation, if I agree with everything the seller posts in the original post (item, price, shipping methods), then all I need is where to send payment and to send the seller my street address.

Again, this is at OCF, not POTN. The classifieds here are MUCH more lax and thus it's up to us to be more careful with who we deal with. I trust OCF 100%, I've been buying/selling there for nearly 4 years and have not once ever seen a scammer (a few of the moderators are police as well collaborators with TrollHunters (external link)).

When I first joined POTN, I remember asking a mod about paypal fees (it's against PayPal terms of service to charge the buyer the fee to receive non-CC/CC payment) and one responded saying that all deals were 100% private. I felt this weird seeing how OCF did not allow PP fees to be charged (in order to keep users from causing the forum trouble with paypal). Also, I tried to spread HeatWare (see my signature). It is a universal method of feedback. It is much easier to search a trader on heatware (easy as putting a link in a sig) than it is to search a feedback thread such as POTN classies :)

Just a few suggestions.

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

sponsored links

1,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't believe in DIBS!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.