Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 Aug 2008 (Monday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Don't believe in DIBS!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 11, 2008 16:59 |  #16

Masta Pasta wrote in post #6087447 (external link)
This may have been covered before and, if so, my apologies.

I don't even like the word "dibs." Sounds puny and weak. But - to the point: When I sell an item or items, I don't believe in allowing prospective buyers to place "dibs" or a hold on anything. To my way of thinking, something is yours when you pay for it - period. There's just about nothing more aggravating than having someone do this and then delay payment for a day or more. Or, even better, I have had people e-mail me after placing a "dibs" on something and say - "I want it and I'll pay for it just as soon as I refill my Pay Pal account from a few things I am selling."

Uh, no - I don't think so.

Any thoughts on this? Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance for your time and brain power,

Ben

I agree and that's why my selling format is what it is. First come, first served.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,187 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 11, 2008 17:17 |  #17

this is not a structured or regulated selling environment, if you want that go to B&H or even E-bay.
This Marketplace is a place where like minded photographers and often personal friends can easily exchange goods.

Just as we beg and plead over and over again that it be understood these are your transactions, buyer beware etc.. and that is is of utmost importance that the buyer and seller do all they can to protect themselves as the forum has no ability to protect you, it should also be clear that POTN will not regulate, nor should anyone else try to, how a seller decides to chose who to sell and for how much.

FYI, If I place an item up for sale, and 4 people reply before I get back, and the 4th one down the list is a member I know and trust, guess who gets the item? Absolutely play favorites. Work with people you know and trust, this is the very basic edict for trading on a Web forum like this IMHO.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BurBunny
405 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 11, 2008 17:36 |  #18

I struggled with this a bit last week. The first person who indicated they were interested in an item had a follow-up question which he posted to me early in the morning. Since I'm in another time zone, I didn't get the PM right away, and in the meantime another buyer came in and said if the first person didn't purchase, he'd like it. My own ethics said since I was already in negotiations with the first, I owed him a shot to get back to me after I answered his questions. I actually would have preferred the second buyer. I was up front with the second buyer, and he was good about it.

It is sometimes hard to be fair to everyone, and perhaps I shouldn't try. If they'd both emailed simultaneously, that would have been one thing. But the first person had waited for an answer from me, so just felt it was fair to give him a little time after I responded before I jerked the rug out from under him.

-Amber
Underwater Photographer (Topside Photography Poseur)
Canon 60D | Canon 400D | Canon 60 f2.8 | Sigma 10-20 | Tokina 10-17 FE | Sigma 18-200 DC OS | Sigma 150-500 DC OS | Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII | Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS | Seatool XTi Underwater Housing | Seatool 60mm Port | Seatool Dome Port | Inon Strobes | 67mm macro lenses (2), Woody's diopter

dennisgibson
390 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 11, 2008 19:37 |  #19

I hate "dibs", "the bomb", "stoked" and anyone who was born in the US who signs their posts with "cheers".

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 11, 2008 21:21 |  #20

BurBunny wrote in post #6088775 (external link)
I struggled with this a bit last week. The first person who indicated they were interested in an item had a follow-up question which he posted to me early in the morning. Since I'm in another time zone, I didn't get the PM right away, and in the meantime another buyer came in and said if the first person didn't purchase, he'd like it. My own ethics said since I was already in negotiations with the first, I owed him a shot to get back to me after I answered his questions. I actually would have preferred the second buyer. I was up front with the second buyer, and he was good about it.

It is sometimes hard to be fair to everyone, and perhaps I shouldn't try. If they'd both emailed simultaneously, that would have been one thing. But the first person had waited for an answer from me, so just felt it was fair to give him a little time after I responded before I jerked the rug out from under him.

This is the approach I take. If the first potential buyer has questions or is pretty committed to purchasing the item, I don't mind waiting a reasonable amount of time if they give me notice of when they'll pay.

As a buyer, the one thing I don't like is sellers who say the first person who pays gets it. I'm not going to send funds unless I know that I am purchasing the item. I don't think it's right to pay and then wait to find out whether you win the payment race.

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 21:21 |  #21

volfan1978 wrote in post #6089996 (external link)
This is the approach I take. If the first potential buyer has questions or is pretty committed to purchasing the item, I don't mind waiting a reasonable amount of time if they give me notice of when they'll pay.

As a buyer, the one thing I don't like is sellers who say the first person who pays gets it. I'm not going to send funds unless I know that I am purchasing the item. I don't think it's right to pay and then wait to find out whether you win the payment race.

+1.

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

jeromego
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 12, 2008 00:13 |  #22

SolidxSnake wrote in post #6088575 (external link)
My bad. So if two people say "I'll take it", you sell to the first one, correct? Or do you choose which to sell to based on other reasons.

Selling at OCF (other forums I frequent), I've come to see dibs as instant buy, there is no backing out (you loose classifieds privilege).

When I say "dibs," I don't mean, "hold the item for me until I have funds"... it's "give me your paypal/street address so I can send you payment right now." There is no negotiation, if I agree with everything the seller posts in the original post (item, price, shipping methods), then all I need is where to send payment and to send the seller my street address.

Again, this is at OCF, not POTN. The classifieds here are MUCH more lax and thus it's up to us to be more careful with who we deal with. I trust OCF 100%, I've been buying/selling there for nearly 4 years and have not once ever seen a scammer (a few of the moderators are police as well collaborators with TrollHunters (external link)).

When I first joined POTN, I remember asking a mod about paypal fees (it's against PayPal terms of service to charge the buyer the fee to receive non-CC/CC payment) and one responded saying that all deals were 100% private. I felt this weird seeing how OCF did not allow PP fees to be charged (in order to keep users from causing the forum trouble with paypal). Also, I tried to spread HeatWare (see my signature). It is a universal method of feedback. It is much easier to search a trader on heatware (easy as putting a link in a sig) than it is to search a feedback thread such as POTN classies :)

Just a few suggestions.

whats OCF?

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 12, 2008 00:14 |  #23

jeromego wrote in post #6091058 (external link)
whats OCF?

www.ocforums.com (external link)

Computer enthusiast forums. There's a few members from there that are members here (jcw122 and Cyrix_2k, that I know of).

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 12, 2008 06:41 as a reply to  @ SolidxSnake's post |  #24

I sold off most of my Pentax stuff in a whirlwind "Firesale" on pentaxforums.com. I pretty much took the first person to PM me as having "dibs" and then gave them a couple of days to get me payment. Sometimes that worked, sometimes folks changed their mind but were gracious to me in letting me know and appreciated that I held the item for a day or so. One buyer kept me waiting a week, but it was my last item and was only 70 bucks so I didn't sweat it. Again, he was glad I waited and is now enjoying his SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 (great sharp little manual focus lens!)

Overall, there was so much interest in my items, that if one buyer fell through I knew I had a long line of folks waiting. It was a nice experience, and I was able to unload about $3K worth of stuff with minimal hassle; I ended up giving the site a nice donation after the fact. I loved the fact that within about two minutes of my posting, I already had folks lining up for some of my lenses :)

As soon as I amassed "x" amount in my PayPal account, I went to B&H and ordered "x" amount of Canon gear :lol:

digadv
427 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 12, 2008 20:15 |  #25

BurBunny wrote in post #6088775 (external link)

This is an honerable approach and if I had been the first buyer would have been very appreciative. Many of us are in different time zones and need some sleep so we can't monitor the forum 24/7. We are all (new and old) part of this community, so it's better to give the first responder the opportunity to buy.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 12, 2008 21:16 |  #26

I give a day for people if they make any reasonable claim such as "I'll get it but give me till tomorrow cause I get paid."

They have till the next day and and I will tell people if I get more offers that I have a possible buyer but it's for one day, get back to me the day after or I you and we'll talk. People just randomly asking and what not without any stake in it get nothing. Also, they need a credible history. There are people on here with one post and well, who are they? They trying to scam you? What?

I just sold my 10-20 to someone like that but they provided an ebay history which is fine. It's just important when they send you several hundred dollars and you make ti make sure 1) it's real 2) it stays :D

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 12, 2008 22:44 |  #27

Masta Pasta wrote in post #6087447 (external link)
This may have been covered before and, if so, my apologies.

I don't even like the word "dibs." Sounds puny and weak. But - to the point: When I sell an item or items, I don't believe in allowing prospective buyers to place "dibs" or a hold on anything. To my way of thinking, something is yours when you pay for it - period. There's just about nothing more aggravating than having someone do this and then delay payment for a day or more. Or, even better, I have had people e-mail me after placing a "dibs" on something and say - "I want it and I'll pay for it just as soon as I refill my Pay Pal account from a few things I am selling."

Uh, no - I don't think so.

Any thoughts on this? Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance for your time and brain power,

Ben

So what do you do when you sell something? Tell everyone that offers to buy it to send a check? Or everyone that wants to buy it to paypal you the moeny and the first account that shows up gets the product?Then the one that you get first gets the product?

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

1,284 views & 0 likes for this thread
Don't believe in DIBS!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.