Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Aug 2008 (Thursday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What missing profile error?

Midlife ­ Crisis
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2008 14:29 |  #1

I normally shoot RAW, use RGB color space, process in DPP and convert to jpeg, then do any adjustments in PS 6. I don't have any problems until I shot a few jpegs today. When I tried to export them from DPP to PS 6 I got the "missing profile" error pop up which read...The RGB document doesn't have the embedded color profile. How do you want to proceed? So I put a dot in the "Assign working RGB window" and then proceeded as always.

When I shoot RAW this "missing profile" doesn't pop up it's only when I shoot jpeg is when it pops up.

Any ideas what's wrong?

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS
Leica M3 :p

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,687 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 14, 2008 17:11 |  #2

What colour space is your camera set to? I seem to recall with the slightly older generations of Canons, Adobe RGB images come in untagged. sRGB images should be tagged.

Just make sure your PS colour settings are the same as your camera settings.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 14, 2008 17:15 |  #3

Are there options in DPP to prevent embedding profiles? I don't think any image application should generate images without profiles. Just assign the profile you shot with, or processed in, like Damo said.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2008 17:32 |  #4

Thanks for the help guys,

Damo77, Adobe RGB is set in my 30D and also my PS6 color settings. I always shoot RAW and don't get that missing profile message, it's only when I shoot jpeg. Strange.

Tim, I have always read here to have the embed ICC Profile box "clicked" in the batch setting box in DPP so I have that. I could just assign it to RGB but that would get annoying.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

Damo77
Goldmember
4,687 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 14, 2008 17:42 |  #5

Yep, that's what I thought. Adobe RGB jpegs are untagged in your generation of camera, and the file names start with an underscore ("_"), am I right? I think this has been fixed in later generations.

Yes, you're absolutely doing the right thing by clicking the ICC profile box - it's a must. It didn't help in this case, though, because there was no profile in the jpegs to embed to begin with.

Raws by their nature have no ICC profile, so you choose it in DPP.

Please PLEASE stop saying you use "RGB" - that's like saying you drive a car. All it tells us is that you're not a cyclist, but it gives us absolutely no idea of what kind of car you drive.

Damien

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2008 18:17 |  #6

Damo77, I am sure you know a lot more about PS than me but when I shoot in RAW and then convert the RAW files to jpegs in DPP they are jpegs. When I do that PS doesn't have any problem opening them. It's only when I shoot jpegs in camera that PS have a problem with them.

You're right about the Adobe RGB file names starting with a __. I think I read here that all Adobe RGB files start with the __ to differentiate them from the sRGB but I may be wrong.

I'll take heed about the file naming from now on. Thanks for your help.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

Damo77
Goldmember
4,687 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 14, 2008 18:23 |  #7

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #6109071 (external link)
when I shoot in RAW and then convert the RAW files to jpegs in DPP they are jpegs. When I do that PS doesn't have any problem opening them. It's only when I shoot jpegs in camera that PS have a problem with them.

That's right, because when DPP creates jpegs from raws, it embeds the ICC profile, so Photoshop doesn't need to ask the question. But your SOOC Adobe RGB jpegs have no profile embedded, which is why PS asks the question.

Midlife Crisis wrote in post #6109071 (external link)
You're right about the Adobe RGB file names starting with a __. I think I read here that all Adobe RGB files start with the __ to differentiate them from the sRGB

I guess that's true.

Damien

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2008 18:38 |  #8

Damo77 wrote in post #6109108 (external link)
That's right, because when DPP creates jpegs from raws, it embeds the ICC profile, so Photoshop doesn't need to ask the question. But your SOOC Adobe RGB jpegs have no profile embedded, which is why PS asks the question.

It must be another reason to always shoot RAW huh? LOL

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

Damo77
Goldmember
4,687 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 14, 2008 18:41 |  #9

And/or a reason to only shoot sRGB ...

Damien

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 14, 2008 18:42 |  #10

Yep.
Problem with older generations of PS.

When I used PS6, I had an action that assigned (yes: assigned) the AdobeRGB profile to the files (and did the capture sharpening)....

Threadhere

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Damo77
Goldmember
4,687 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 14, 2008 18:45 |  #11

Really? Oh, sorry, I've been misleading Midlife. I thought it was an idiosyncrasy of the older generation of camera, rather than PS.

Damien

Midlife ­ Crisis
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 14, 2008 18:52 |  #12

That's OK Damo up until a few years ago I've been using my dads (now mine) Leica M3. I think that most people here would learn a lot about photography if they went out and shot with the rangefinders. I laugh when I read here about the discussions on the 5 or 6 frames per second cameras, it makes me remember 30 years ago when I used the Leica M3 for sports in school. I think we all have it made nowdays.

It's just a good reason to get CS 4 Rene.

30D
17-55 IS
70-200 f2.8 IS

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 14, 2008 18:56 |  #13

M3: lovely :D

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,002 views & 0 likes for this thread
What missing profile error?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.