Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 17 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 00:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First skateboarding shots

The ­ California ­ Kid
120 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 17, 2008 00:53 |  #1

I went to a skateboard competetion a few months ago, and it was my first time shooting any kind of skating. Let me know what you think...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

You can take the kid out of California, but you can't take the California out of the kid

sponsored links
jimken61
440 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 17, 2008 07:47 |  #2

I think using a larger aperture setting would have help by giving you a shallower dept of feild to keep your focus on the skate boarders. I never have shot skate boarders but I'm sure shooting indoors like this makes it even that much more of a challenge. IMO you did pretty good for your first time.

Gear List
http://www.nfspics.com (external link)

slapstix55
306 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 17, 2008 10:53 |  #3

They look a little fuzzy. But not that bad for first time. Never shot indoor Skate.

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 17, 2008 12:48 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Too tight and out of focus

-Joseph
bergdollphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list

The ­ California ­ Kid
THREAD ­ STARTER
120 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 17, 2008 14:35 as a reply to  @ jbergdoll's post |  #5

I was at wide open aperture with these. I was having trouble focusing because they would get so close so fast, then drop back. Maybe next time I'll shoot manual focus. Bouncing the flash was also an issue. They would be real close to the flash head, and their faces would get blown out.

You can take the kid out of California, but you can't take the California out of the kid

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 17, 2008 16:03 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

The California Kid wrote in post #6125062 (external link)
I was at wide open aperture with these. I was having trouble focusing because they would get so close so fast, then drop back. Maybe next time I'll shoot manual focus. Bouncing the flash was also an issue. They would be real close to the flash head, and their faces would get blown out.

So use natty light then

-Joseph
flickr (external link)
gear list

corterlifecrisis
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 17, 2008 22:35 |  #7

i think you should tell the kid skating with the scarf to take off the scarf

Gear.Blog (external link).Photos (external link)"Doesn't mother nature make a war look silly?"

DannyLongIsland
507 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 10:17 |  #8

Definitely go MF. I used to shoot at BMX comps and the AF just cant keep up, especially when you are as close to the skaters as you were. If you are staying in a stationary spot have someone stand about where they are hitting the lip and focus in on that spot. By the way, Im a total noob with digital shooting, so take this advice with a grain of salt. Good luck!

Dan

tony ­ rage
699 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 22, 2008 20:29 |  #9

here are my .02 cents.
Not from a photographer point of view (only done this for a year) but skateboarding POV (did it for 15 years)... and yes, Ive read thousands of skate mags lol.
you didnt do bad for a first time, but if you're interested in shooting skateboarding or other "skatepark" sports, you need a wide angle lens... skate videos are shot with fish eye lenses... you get more area covered, specially when youre that close, and you make the obstacles look huge.
I would recommend something like a 10-20mm lens, that would have been perfect for the spot you had on the ramp. good job nontheless

5Dc * 1DMkII * 40D * 24-70 2.8 * 85 1.8 * and more!

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 23, 2008 01:38 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

tony rage wrote in post #6159683 (external link)
here are my .02 cents.
Not from a photographer point of view (only done this for a year) but skateboarding POV (did it for 15 years)... and yes, Ive read thousands of skate mags lol.
you didnt do bad for a first time, but if you're interested in shooting skateboarding or other "skatepark" sports, you need a wide angle lens... skate videos are shot with fish eye lenses... you get more area covered, specially when youre that close, and you make the obstacles look huge.
I would recommend something like a 10-20mm lens, that would have been perfect for the spot you had on the ramp. good job nontheless

Too much fisheye results in ****ty technique and boring photos.

-Joseph
flickr (external link)
gear list

tony ­ rage
699 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 23, 2008 10:58 |  #11

jbergdoll wrote in post #6161070 (external link)
Too much fisheye results in ****ty technique and boring photos.

I agree, but you can't deny that a wide angle lens is somewhat of a must for this sport. :D

5Dc * 1DMkII * 40D * 24-70 2.8 * 85 1.8 * and more!

jbergdoll
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 24, 2008 22:41 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

tony rage wrote in post #6162429 (external link)
I agree, but you can't deny that a wide angle lens is somewhat of a must for this sport. :D

Actually I can, there are tons of dudes who shoot without a fish. I'm a fisheye owner myself (dropped $600 for the Tokina) but I'd much rather shoot a dope long lens photo than a fisheye photo. I guess a fish would work well when shooting a comp from the deck of the ramp, but if you can, a well composed long lens shot is always nice.

-Joseph
flickr (external link)
gear list

sponsored links

1,562 views & 0 likes for this thread
First skateboarding shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.