Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Aug 2008 (Monday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to set 1D parameters?

Zander ­ Albertson
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 18:40 |  #1

How do I set the parameters on my 1D? I have all of the software from Canon's site and the firewire cable... what program to use and how?

Thanks!
Zander

Editorial Photographer, Canon Digital.

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 18, 2008 18:42 |  #2

You can use the EOS Utility (I'm assuming you want to set the program functions of the camera).

...Leo

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 18:44 |  #3

I want to change the in camera sharpening etc.

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 18:45 |  #4

When I open EOS Utility, I can only click on "monitor folder" and nothing else... the camera is on and plugged in... ???

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 18, 2008 18:59 |  #5

Zander Albertson wrote in post #6133317 (external link)
I want to change the in camera sharpening etc.

The camera shooting parameters, like sharpening, is set from the camera menu. See page 50 of your 1D manual.

...Leo

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 19:03 |  #6

It says I can select what I set with the driver software... that's where I'm having the problems, setting the parameters in the first place. Driver software = EOS Utility, right?

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 18, 2008 19:46 |  #7

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to set, I believe you need the older software to set up the original 1D personal functions and tone curves. I use File Viewer Utility. It was a precursor to EOS Utility.

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 19:47 |  #8

:o Good heavens, am I really out of it today? I don't see anything in File Viewer either...

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 19:51 as a reply to  @ Zander Albertson's post |  #9

In file viewer, the icon isn't lit up indicating a camera connection... is my firewire messed up or is there something I need to do on the 1D?

LotsToLearn
Goldmember
2,290 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 18, 2008 19:55 |  #10

And you installed the WIA driver?

Oh... I hope you're not running Vista because the 1D isn't supported under Vista.

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 20:06 |  #11

I installed the WIA driver, I am on XP... I am wondering if there is a firewire problem.
When I connect the cable to the computer/camera and turn it on, there is the du-dunk sound for when something is plugged in, but nothing shows up in any of the utilities or My Computer...

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 18, 2008 20:31 |  #12

Zander Albertson wrote in post #6133479 (external link)
It says I can select what I set with the driver software... that's where I'm having the problems, setting the parameters in the first place. Driver software = EOS Utility, right?

What exactly is it that you want to change? If you want to change the level of sharpening, contrast, saturation, etc. you change them via the camera menu. I'm not sure what you mean by "driver software". Can you tell us where you're seeing this?

...Leo

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 20:42 |  #13

AFAIK, one cannot select a different processing parameter (sharpening, tone curve, jpeg quality) without having set them up on a computer first, then they can be selected in camera. I bought this camera used, and no other parameter settings have been set. All I want to do is increase the sharpening... I know I can PP the sharpening, but that's extra time for me.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 18, 2008 21:15 |  #14

Zander Albertson wrote in post #6134077 (external link)
AFAIK, one cannot select a different processing parameter (sharpening, tone curve, jpeg quality) without having set them up on a computer first, then they can be selected in camera. I bought this camera used, and no other parameter settings have been set. All I want to do is increase the sharpening... I know I can PP the sharpening, but that's extra time for me.

Ahh! OK, I see what you're saying. You'll need the EOS Viewer Utility to do what you want. You might be able to do it with a more current software like EOS Utility but I'm not sure. Both software can be downloaded from the Canon site. But there's a catch. You'll need the original software CD that came with the camera in order to use EVU and EU.

...Leo

Zander ­ Albertson
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 18, 2008 22:06 |  #15

I guess that's my problem ,that I don't have the original CD. I bought this body used and it didn't come with a CD. Can I borrow someone else's CD, or do I need the actual one that came with my body?

sponsored links

2,230 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to set 1D parameters?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.