Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Oct 2007 (Wednesday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepro Vertex 200 Review

Poindexter
717 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 25, 2008 08:27 |  #61

I'm so up in the air about various bags for a trip to Antarctica this fall. The Vertex 200 is one of those bags.

I'm trying to fit:

1DMKII
    1Ds
    300mm f2.8L IS
    70-200mm f2.8L IS
    24-105MM f4L IS
    24mm f3.5L TS/E
    1.4x TC
    2x TC
    4 Extra 1D batteries
    430ex
    Wimberly Sidekick
    Epson P2000
    Other small things (cards, batteries, filters)

I'm pretty sure I can make it all fit, but was hoping someone here might confirm things a little more for me?

flickr (external link) | SmugMug (external link) | Gear (external link)

sponsored links
pjfrad
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 25, 2008 10:13 |  #62

Demo,

Can you post a photo of a side view of the bag, i.e. how deep it is. Also how big is the laptop section, would it take a 15.4" sony vaio?

Thanks
Peter

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pjfrad/ (external link)

DEMO
Goldmember
1,106 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 25, 2008 10:38 |  #63

This is the only side profile shot I have of the bag.. I don't carry a laptop, so I can't say if your laptop will work or not.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i2.photobucket.​com …1/typeralph/pri​nter-4.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

RAFAEL SANCHEZ

pjfrad
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 28, 2008 04:03 |  #64

Thanks Demo.

Other reports seem to say that a Laptop the size of mine should fit, so I think I'm sold on this bag. Just need to look for a good price.

Peter

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,998 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jul 30, 2008 10:21 |  #65

Thanks for the review. I just ordered one today and hopefully get it tomorrow. Fits just between the Minitrekker AW and Computrekker Plus AW in size but with laptop pocket on front which I prefer. I do not like that all the weight of lenses and bodies is on top of the laptop .

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,998 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 04, 2008 15:58 |  #66

I got my bag thursday and have been using it all weekend. 6 hours on my back saturday and 6 hours sunday.

Maybe I am using it wrong but I thought the waist band was supposed to help balance the weigth so it would not be as hard for the shoulders as without. Well I used the waist belt and my shoulders hurt and I did not feel any kind of support from the waist belt. So since I have always felt the waist belts are in the way I will most likely cut it off before taking the bag on my next trip to Africa.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 04, 2008 22:26 |  #67

tommykjensen wrote in post #6045771 (external link)
I got my bag thursday and have been using it all weekend. 6 hours on my back saturday and 6 hours sunday.

Maybe I am using it wrong but I thought the waist band was supposed to help balance the weigth so it would not be as hard for the shoulders as without. Well I used the waist belt and my shoulders hurt and I did not feel any kind of support from the waist belt. So since I have always felt the waist belts are in the way I will most likely cut it off before taking the bag on my next trip to Africa.

I think that it depends somewhat on how much "waist" one has. In the last couple years, I seem to have gotten a bit rounder and things like this slip off my waist easier than they used to, even including a classic D2 backpack that I have had for about 30 years and love the way that it performs. Anyway, I think that the secret (other than getting a thinner waist) is to cinch the waist belt very firmly, but do NOT draw the shoulder straps up too snugly, just barely snug enough to bring the pack up to a vertical position. If the shoulder straps start off too tight, then you will always be using your shoulder to support the load and, of course, you want your waist to carry all of the weight. I have thought about mounting the camera pack onto my backpacking frame, but then I wouldn't be able to use my backpack.

So, here are the two main "rules":

1. Carry all of the weight on the waist
  2. use the shoulder straps only for balance and stability

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 04, 2008 22:31 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #68

Just remembered, one more:

3. If you don't have a waist, get one. ;) :rolleyes:

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

Lester ­ Wareham
29,681 posts
Gallery: 3045 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 05, 2008 12:56 |  #69

tommykjensen wrote in post #6045771 (external link)

Hi Tommy.

I was always taught most of the weight should go on the hips via a belt with any decent backpack. The idea being to transmit the weight below rather than through the back, plus this tends to keep one's centre of gravity lower improving stability and reducing effort. I know it can take a lot of fiddling to get the adjustment just right, and often needs to be tweaked as you take layers off and on.

Although this view was scoffed at by some here recently, who thought you should have all the weight on the shoulders!

Please don't be offended, but I found the load belt on my SS300 a lot more effective after I lost a couple of stone over the last few months (partly initial illness followed by eating better to ovoid further illness!).

I was not very over weight but I definitely have more waste now (could still do with more). I always had the belt set to take most of the weight on the hips and not the shoulder (only about 10-20%), but before it was always slipping. It says much better now.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
Problems Seeing My Images Click Here
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,998 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 05, 2008 13:04 |  #70

Thanks that proves I was using it wrong. But it might not change the fate of the waist belt anyway :lol: I still think its too bulky for flights.

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,751 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 05, 2008 13:08 as a reply to  @ tommykjensen's post |  #71

if anyone is looking to get one of these I am selling mine
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=547927
its basically new

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 05, 2008 14:54 |  #72

tommykjensen wrote in post #6051307 (external link)
Thanks that proves I was using it wrong. But it might not change the fate of the waist belt anyway :lol: I still think its too bulky for flights.

I have taken mine on several plane trips (plus buses, trains, boats, and automobiles) and have never encountered a problem in putting it in the overhead bin except on a bus once. If you have not committed the unthinkable yet, I will post a few pictures showing my method of securing the straps to reduce bulkiness. I think that there may be better ways, but mine allows me to easily fit the bag in an overhead bin.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,261 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 19, 2008 10:49 as a reply to  @ Bill Boehme's post |  #73

I have a VERTEX 300

This is a VERY BIG BAG that holds a lot of equipment. The image is not what I usually carry but, would give you an idea of the capacity of the bag. It is also capable of holding my 17" Toshiba notebook computer.

IMO, there are two downsides to this bag:

1. It is very heavy even empty and with its large capacity gets extremely heavy when loaded. Of course, I could carry less but, I like to have my equipment at my disposal.

2. The carrying straps are extremely bulky. When I have the bag filled with photo equipment and a 17" notebook; it will not fit into the airpost box that carry on (domestic flights) must fit in. I get around this by removing the notebook from the pack and hand carrying it during the boarding process. I have to remove the computer from the pack for security purposes anyway. After returning the notebook to the Vertex 300 - there is no problem in fitting it into the overhead compartments of a 737 airliner.

I wish that the heavy duty carrying straps (especially the waist strap which I never use) were removable.

NOTE: I use the Vertex 300 to carry my gear on flights and to act as a storage for my gear when on trips. I usually rent a sedan (although I much prefer driving a small SUV) because of being able to lock my gear in the trunk out-of-site. Since I don't use the pack for hiking, I really dont need the super heavy duty straps.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

pjfrad
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 19, 2008 12:01 |  #74

I received my Vertex 200 yesterday. From the pics on there I had no idea just how much stuff it holds. I barly half fill it with my equipment. It seems like a great bag, I'm going to have a bit more of a play tonight to work out a good configuration then give it a good test traveling from London to Boston this weekend.

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 09, 2008 15:39 |  #75

I just got this bag. VERY nice.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sponsored links

39,174 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro Vertex 200 Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.