Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eating at the wedding.

flyingwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 20, 2008 11:05 |  #121

divinemethod wrote in post #6141781 (external link)
I have a question for the OP... I Still dont understand how the photog in question was a lowball?

Maybe lowball is not the correct word in this case. They guy offered CD's of photos, hundreds of prints, 6 hours of shooting with 2 photogs (him and his wife) and books for the B&G and the parents.

All of this for 1800 dollars, the number of prints he offered would be nearly 1600 at wal-mart prices alone.

I think maybe this better comes down to the local guy who is undercutting everyone else in the area.

Perhaps you have a word that would work better in this situation.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

sponsored links
tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 20, 2008 21:11 |  #122

neilwood32 wrote in post #6142811 (external link)
You seem to be agruing for no apparent reason. The clients agree to the photographer having a meal , the photographer eats the meal = no problem!:p

So long as it is clearly laid down what each party wants/expects, theres no issue.

If i was in the situation of paying thousands of £ or $ for a photographer, I would certainly prefer for them to be well fed, satisfied and comfortable for all the cost of providing a meal for them! Also consider how draining it is shooting for 8hrs solid, wouldnt you want a break?

You seem not to have read all the posts. As I said earlier, I have no problem with breaks. It's when the photographer insists or expect to be fed without the client and photog agreeing to this in the contract at the beginning is where my problem lies. If they agree in advance, fine. But what if the contract makes no mention of food. What then? Seems to me that the photog cannot seriously expect to be fed. Now, that said, it would be the right thing to do for the B&G to feed the guy. But they should not be obligated to do so.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 20, 2008 21:13 |  #123

tgara wrote in post #6148087 (external link)
You seem not to have read all the posts. As I said earlier, I have no problem with breaks. It's when the photographer insists or expect to be fed without the client and photog agreeing to this in the contract at the beginning is where my problem lies. If they agree in advance, fine. But what if the contract makes no mention of food. What then? Seems to me that the photog cannot seriously expect to be fed. Now, that said, it would be the right thing to do for the B&G to feed the guy. But they should not be obligated to do so.

Maybe I missed it. When did anyone mention the scenario of waiting until the day of to suddenly spring a food requirement on the B&G? If I recall correctly, your first post said eating is unprofessional and should only be done in the bathroom. You also said requiring is absolutely ludicrous.

On second thought, no recalling necessary. Here are your own words:

tgara wrote in post #6071635 (external link)
I have a different view. I don't think its very professional for a pro photographer to eat at the wedding, period. And making it a contractual item is beyond the pale. What does it say? "Client shall provide food to photographer...." You gotta be kidding me! You're there to do a job, so do it and quit griping about food. If you're hungry, eat a power bar in the bathroom or something. I don't want the hired help to be seen eating anywhere near the wedding party.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 21, 2008 06:36 |  #124

Thanks Cdifoto for answering on my behalf.

TGARA - I have actually read all the posts and it seems like your question keeps shifting when you realise that it is unreasonable!

You start by saying that the photog should not eat at the wedding, then say its to be done in hiding, then a few pages later you seem to adopt the "well its ok if they agree" attitude.

And no-one has said that the B&G are obligated to feed the photog if it isnt written in to the contract!

Are you just trying to stir up trouble or do you like arguing? The least you could do is stick by your original assertion if you do.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Rumjungle
Goldmember
3,120 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 21, 2008 13:31 |  #125

Can you say, backpedal?:lol:

Gear

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 21, 2008 13:35 |  #126

Just an update. I did an engagement shoot yesterday....and guess what.....I was fed. I am doing an event this evening with a fashion show....and was offered a meal by the person in charge............... yummyville!

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 21, 2008 13:37 |  #127

What's your secret?

This space for rent.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 21, 2008 13:39 |  #128

mattograph wrote in post #6152471 (external link)
What's your secret?

Sweat a lot and be likable.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 21, 2008 13:40 |  #129

mattograph wrote in post #6152471 (external link)
What's your secret?

Photography is 20% skill the rest is about personality and ability to run a business. In all honesty my photography is good but there is way better out there than me. But I can run a business and know to focus on the client....not me. Get them to talk about themselves and they will love you......just show genuine interest.

Scott

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 21, 2008 13:42 |  #130

stathunter wrote in post #6152491 (external link)
Photography is 20% skill the rest is about personality and ability to run a business. In all honesty my photography is good but there is way better out there than me. But I can run a business and know to focus on the client....not me. Get them to talk about themselves and they will love you......just show genuine interest.

I am doomed.:(

This space for rent.

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 21, 2008 13:45 |  #131

mattograph wrote in post #6152501 (external link)
I am doomed.:(

You guys in Louisville know how to smooze........with your southern charm and all. :)

Scott

SoccerRef
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 21, 2008 13:54 |  #132

neilwood32 wrote in post #6150317 (external link)
Thanks Cdifoto for answering on my behalf.

TGARA - I have actually read all the posts and it seems like your question keeps shifting when you realise that it is unreasonable!

You start by saying that the photog should not eat at the wedding, then say its to be done in hiding, then a few pages later you seem to adopt the "well its ok if they agree" attitude.

And no-one has said that the B&G are obligated to feed the photog if it isnt written in to the contract!

Are you just trying to stir up trouble or do you like arguing? The least you could do is stick by your original assertion if you do.

Rumjungle wrote in post #6152433 (external link)
Can you say, backpedal?:lol:

HEY! I've got it! Tgara should run for office! Any public office will do, the higher up the ladder the better. GO For it Tgara, run for president... Just remember us POTNers when you get to the big house!

SoccerRef - PergerPhotography.com (external link) - SUPPORT POTN HERE (external link)My Canon Gear - 7D, Gripped 40D, Gripped 20D, SD780IS, EFS 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF 28-135 IS, 420EX
My Sigma Gear - 70-200 f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 EX DG
Next in Line
- 5D, or Mark IIn

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 21, 2008 16:56 as a reply to  @ SoccerRef's post |  #133

Thought it was only me that noted the sliding viewpoint!:D

Better watch what you say soccerref - only problem with political jokes is they sometimes get elected (thinking about George "Dubyah" here).

Stathunter -are you sure you didnt force them to feed you? We wouldnt want that;)

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 21, 2008 18:12 |  #134

SoccerRef wrote in post #6152559 (external link)
HEY! I've got it! Tgara should run for office! Any public office will do, the higher up the ladder the better. GO For it Tgara, run for president... Just remember us POTNers when you get to the big house!

Yes, he voted for the eating at the wedding before he voted against it!!!;)

This space for rent.

lulugus
239 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 21, 2008 18:21 |  #135

cdifoto wrote in post #6152485 (external link)
Sweat a lot and be likable.

cdifoto always manages to make me laugh.

I've got the likable part down, now I've just got to throw out all my deodorant. I knew this forum was fill of good tips!!!

sponsored links

19,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
Eating at the wedding.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.