Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Aug 2008 (Tuesday) 15:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disagreement with the Client over Photos

int0xicatedxluv
394 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 19, 2008 15:44 |  #1

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I shot a model yesterday for her portfolio, and I totally spaced and didn't have her sign the model release form.

Well today I put up a few of the shots on my myspace page, and she doesn't like them, and I love them. She's asked me to remove them.

I do not want to remove them.

What jurisdiction do I have here to say "NO" to her??? Do I have any?
Do I have automatic copyrights becuase they are my photos?

Im not printing them and/or advertising them anywhere. They're just on myspace. And they're my photos. Can I tel her no? Would you?

these are the photos in question that she wants removed.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i297.photobucke​t.com …hoto/Stella/IMG​_55698.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i297.photobucke​t.com …photo/Stella/IM​G_5649.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,361 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 19, 2008 15:46 |  #2

int0xicatedxluv wrote in post #6139264 (external link)
She's asked me to remove them.

Seems fairly obvious (too me).

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 19, 2008 15:53 as a reply to  @ mbellot's post |  #3

You do own the copyright but without a release it ends there, if you get business of any kind from myspace (which by the way she can infer) its a commercial use, no model release no right to use them that way.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 19, 2008 15:55 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

You took them for HER portfolio and she doesn't like them. I think you should take them down. You don't want her bad-mouthing you to anyone.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

int0xicatedxluv
THREAD ­ STARTER
394 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 19, 2008 15:57 |  #5

Hmm. okay.

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 19, 2008 16:02 |  #6

From a personal standpoint, I wouldn't hesitate to remove them. Its just the right thing to do. How would you feel about a photographer than took a photo of you that you hated, and posted them on the internet and refused to take them down at your request?

From a legal standpoint, you are in a gray area. If you are ready to pay the legal costs of defending your right to display the images, and could case less about doing the right thing, then keep on trucking. You could probably win in a legal tussle, but it would be a hollow victory after you look at what it cost you to defend yourself.

I see a couple options;

Ignore her and hope she doesn't take legal action. You would probably win, but there is still a good chance you could loose. Throw the dice! Either way this could be an expensive option.

Offer to pay her so that you can display the images. She has a price, and its somewhere between .01 cent and 53 million dollars. Finding the price you can both live with is the key.

Take down those images, hire another similar model and re-shoot the same images. Changes are you will improve on the results, and like the images much better anyway. That would be my choice.

You could ask her what she doesn't like about them. You might be able to resolve it with some photoshop work.

You could reason with her in that if you can't use them for your portfolio, then you could be compensated for your time. Ie, if you asked her not to show any of the images because you didn't like them, where does that leave her? As a TFP scenario, both of you should be able to use the images in order for it to be fair to both members.

Lastly, you could slip her some memory altering drugs such that she will no longer remember who she is, or be mentally competent to identify herself. In that case you are free to use them at will. (disclaimer: this is humor, don't try this at home, at work, or anywhere :) )

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

int0xicatedxluv
THREAD ­ STARTER
394 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 19, 2008 16:19 |  #7

lol i like the last option :p

I took everything down but my two favorites.
her dislike is in the processing on those two particular images. She's complaining about shadows. i'll give them another run tonight, but odds are, they'll just stay down at this point.

Boy, lesson learned ALWAYS make sure to remember to bring the dang release with you!!!!!!!!!!

noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 20, 2008 12:40 |  #8

sfaust wrote in post #6139360 (external link)
Lastly, you could slip her some memory altering drugs such that she will no longer remember who she is, or be mentally competent to identify herself. In that case you are free to use them at will. (disclaimer: this is humor, don't try this at home, at work, or anywhere :) )

int0xicatedxluv, I'll lend you my “Men in Blackmind eraser. ;)

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 20, 2008 12:52 |  #9

its called a neuralizer. get it right next time sport. :p

int0xicatedxluv
THREAD ­ STARTER
394 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 20, 2008 13:10 |  #10

-MasterChief- wrote in post #6145120 (external link)
its called a neuralizer. get it right next time sport. :p

Will do :D Lesson learned eh?

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 20, 2008 18:17 |  #11

She doesn't like the shadows and I can see why.

However if she plans to use them in her portfolio and will not allow you to use them then your entitled to fair compensation for your time.

And lesson learned, model release always.
Print off a thousand and put them in your glove box and gear bag and anywhere else you can think to stash one for when it is needed.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2008 18:31 |  #12

Does she want the photos? Is the model didnt pay you, make her sign a release if she wants them. IF its a TFCD deal, thats usually what the terms are, model gets nice photos for her use and tog gets portfolio images to be used for advertising...

If she paid you them its her terms...

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 20, 2008 21:21 |  #13

Can you lessen the shadows by minimizing the editing on the pics? It looks like you were sorta heavy on editing.

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 20, 2008 21:39 |  #14

Unless she was PAYING you she has no rights over the images. They are yours to use as you wish. As long as you do not directly sell them for commercial purposes they are yours. The myspace is a portfolio application and as such I think you are covered there too.

I like the work, I think it is very strong and applied very well. I do not allow anyone to tell me what to do with my images, period end of story. She was not coerced into posing, She wanted to be there, she knew exactly what was going on.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

lil_miss
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 20, 2008 22:55 |  #15

With those two particular images you actually have no way of proving who the photo is of... as you cant see her face... :)

But out of good faith I'd remove them...

A bunch of Canon bits and pieces.

Blog (external link) :: Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disagreement with the Client over Photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.