Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 20 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 18:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 part question.

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 20, 2008 18:05 |  #1

I have a 2 part question here and while this mostly is goig to cause sme to be a bit upset I have to ask it.

How do yuo guys who don't smoke, deal with wedding that the B&G smoke or where they don't care if you smoke.

Here in Ohio is all non-smoking in any indoor public area minus a few small places. Outside parks such as those owned by the state are non-smoking.
So it is not as big of a deal around here.

But what about other areas, how do you deal with smokers and your precious equipment.

Second part.
What do you do when Aunt Sally wants you to put down your camera and take a group photo with her P&S?

Normally no problem for me, I oblige, but I find myself asking what do others do?

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

sponsored links
*Mike*
632 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 20, 2008 18:12 |  #2

I've never seen smoking as much of a problem... I don't do it. But, I can tolerate it well enough to do my job. As you said, most places are smoke-free anyway. Not many churches or reception venues are going to let anyone light up. So, it's almost entirely outside.

As for taking pics with someone elses camera, I don't really remember ever having been asked to. But, I'd just politely decline... Make a joke out of it. "You'll get me fired, I can't let the bride see me with that?! I'm supposed to have all the big, scary, equipment. LOL."

A huge part of being a successful wedding photog is being able to finesse a situation - any situation. :D

Belle's Photography (external link)* Belle's Blog (external link) * Belle's MySpace (external link)

flyingwolf
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 20, 2008 18:19 |  #3

I usually don't mind taking a shot with someone else's camera and usually play it off as "how do you work this thing", my favorite are the ones that start to show me how to use it lol.

For the smoking, I am just trying to get opinions, I know smoke on the water is a great song but smoke on the lens is expensive.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 20, 2008 18:23 |  #4

I have a two part answer:

How is smoke a problem? As long as they don't use your camera as an ash tray I don't see an issue.

If people want shots with their camera I will usually do it, but more than one i'll usually say sorry I don't have time and I can never work out how to use those things. Sometimes I politely decline and give them a business card where they can purchase a print.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

*Mike*
632 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 20, 2008 18:27 |  #5

Equipment concerns? Nah. It's part of the job... Shooting in rain, mud, and just about anything else. The guys laying the sand on the beach taking shots have bigger concerns than a little second hand smoke.

I guess part of it is getting into the mindset of your equipment as tools. You use them for the job, you price accordingly for the wear and tear on them, and you fix/replace as you need to. Still sucks at times though. :)

Belle's Photography (external link)* Belle's Blog (external link) * Belle's MySpace (external link)

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 21, 2008 05:40 as a reply to  @ *Mike*'s post |  #6

Connecticut is no smoking where ever food or beverages are served, same with NY so I am covered I rarely travel further than that.

And I won't take pictures with other's camera's. I try to move from one pose to another as quickly as possible and I tell everyone up front, if your going to take a photo after me be quick I will make a slight adjustment to the camera (maybe) and then I will be moving on to the next shot.

sponsored links

656 views & 0 likes for this thread
2 part question.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.