Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 13:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can anyone recommend me a good hand/wrist strap for an ungripped 30D?

lucadita
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 15, 2008 06:00 |  #16

ALaS wrote in post #6040188 (external link)
So it's between these:

The Nikon AH-4 looks like it's the most promising (functionality & durability), but it's the most expensive ($64) Does anyone have experience with this hand strap? Is it easy to put on, take off of your hand? Does the back strap unclip for easy removal..etc?

I use the AH-4 on a 5D, and it's fantastic. It's very easy to put and take off.
I'm very happy with AH-4.

Luca

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 15, 2008 06:06 |  #17

I have the Hakuba and it's perfect for my small hands. My ability to hold my camera for 3 hours straight makes it all worth it. I have terrible tendinitis on my wrists and this strap is on every one of my DSLR's. For weddings and other events when I have to haul large heavy lenses, the strap makes gripping the camera only with my right hand possible. Anything else is too hot, as I shoot outside a lot and I shoot with at least 2 bodies at a time, so getting in and out of the strap is easy, as well.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

ALaS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2008 23:06 |  #18

DO you have the Hakuba with the wrist strap or without a strap? I've received my AH-4. I don't like it. It' shard to use the wheel with my thumb. The Velcro strap is too short. Maybe I have it adjusted incorrectly?

Luca, Can you use your thumb wheel easily with your hand strap?

So far, It's going back to BH unless I can figure it out.

Best Regards,
-Ericson.
flick (external link)r (external link) | Gear -Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50L & 28mm f/1.8 for SALE!

dan_1337
138 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 17, 2008 03:41 |  #19

it looks like you can't have the tripod shoe mounted all the time with a strap.

or maybe i'm wrong...?

5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

ALaS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2008 04:03 |  #20

The Nikon AH-4 has a tripod mount. So, yes you can.

Best Regards,
-Ericson.
flick (external link)r (external link) | Gear -Canon 1Ds Mark II, 50L & 28mm f/1.8 for SALE!

luisv
621 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 17, 2008 08:57 |  #21

Not sure if you purchase one yet, but I've been using the Hakuba KGP-02 for approx 5 years without issue and I love it. Originally had it on my XT, then moved it to my 20D and now it's on my 40D. :) I just haven't been able to find a comfortable neck strap and I don't particularly care for my camera dangling in front of me, so the grip was a natural choice. During my kids sports, I tuck the camera to my body like a football and I can run up and down the sidelines without issue. When walking in crowds I usually tuck it into my body to avoid collisions and when hunting for wildlife I relax my arm and allow it to naturally sway back and forth while I walk... I don't even have to hold the camera tightly... I just relax my fingers around the body and allow the grip to handle the weight. I won't lie, once I switched to the 20D and the 100-400 IS the camera felt a little heavy, but I eventually got used to it. I can't remember how long it took, but if I recall it took a few weeks.

If I need to use a mono or tripod I use the foot of my 100-400 IS, so I have never tested how well the threaded screw works; however it's only a few twists to unscrew it so I don't see it as being an issue.

The only downside to the grip is that the mount covers the battery door. After years of use I can honestly say it's not a big deal. Quick turn of the screw to loosen it a little and I turn the mount slightly to clear the door. Battery changes have never bothered me.

When I purchased my 40D I gave the 20D to the wife and to my amazement she immediately asked me if she could keep the grip as well. I chuckled but couldn't part with it so we had to go to the local store to get another one.

Now it just feels like an extension of my hand... extremely recommended...

I can take some pictures if you wish to see how it covers the battery door, but here's all I could find...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Gear List

ALaS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2008 15:39 |  #22

Can you use the Thumb wheel easily?

Best Regards,
-Ericson.

luisv
621 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 17, 2008 16:02 |  #23

I have no issues reaching any of the buttons while my hand is in the strap as I've adjusted the strap so it doesn't restrict my movement. If too tight you'll have issues reaching things and taking your hand in and out of the strap will be difficult. You need to tighten the strap just enough that when you open the palm of your hand the camera won't slide off your hand. At first it will feel a little odd as you don't want to let go for fear of your camera falling, but if set right you won't have any issues. When I first got it, I played with the adjustments while hanging my hand / camera a few inches off a pillow on my bed. Now I can set it by feeling how secure / snug it feels. Since I've moved it between 3 bodies, I've had to take it off a few times so I have some practice in adjustments. :) I'll see if I can post some pictures of the body in my hand so you can see what I mean.

Gear List

ALaS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 17, 2008 16:03 |  #24

Sure! That would be great. Thanks!

Best Regards,
-Ericson.

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 22, 2008 12:50 |  #25

I'm just wondering where to buy the hakuba kgp-02.
Everywhere I looks, it's either not in stock or they say that the manufacturer is not making it anymore.

any alternative that is similar?

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

ALaS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,205 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 22, 2008 13:39 |  #26

GP-01. Contact B&H and see.

Best Regards,
-Ericson.

dan_1337
138 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 22, 2008 20:59 |  #27

i just bought one from eBay last night. only cost me AUD$9.20 including postage.

5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,007 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 22, 2008 22:41 |  #28

Wonder how well this one works?

http://www.dealextreme​.com/details.dx/sku.23​24 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

5,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can anyone recommend me a good hand/wrist strap for an ungripped 30D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.