Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Aug 2008 (Thursday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 40D Update & Memory Cards

cyberphonics
31 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 21, 2008 12:41 |  #1

Hey everyone! I don't know if any of you remember, but I was looking for an upgrade from my pro1. I asked for some opinions on here specifying that I needed a DSLR asap and my priority was something faster with better picture quality. I only had $1000 and I got a lot of great suggestions from all of you.

I chose the Canon EOS 40D. I actually got a bit lucky and someone I had loaned $300 paid me back, which gave me $1300 to work with instead and that was just enough for me to get the the Canon EOS 40D from Amazon. It came with an EF 28-135 lens and no memory card.

I love this camera! It's exactly what I needed in terms of speed and quality and I no longer feel stunted by the limitations of the pro1 (which I still love and keep as a secondary camera for candids and photos of myself). I've been able to shoot exactly the kind of images I want now as quickly as I want and get the results in image quality that I want. I couldn't ask for anything more.

This was my last photography camera purchase, so it needed to be a camera that had a long "creative" life for me by not having any inherent flaws that mattered to me so much that I'd have to buy another camera in order to do what I wanted. I'm not disappointed at all.

I do have three issues so far that are completely insignificant compared to how wonderful this camera is for my needs. If I discover anything else that someone can help me with, I'll update this post with it I guess.

1. To set the white balance on the pro1, all I had to do was push down on the directional pad (which would prep it to accept the WB data) and click "set" (which would take the picture, white object filling the frame of course). Just two button pushes. With the 40D, though, it seems that I have to take the picture, then go into the menus, find the white balance settings, then find the picture that I took that I want to use for the white balance and import it into those settings. Is that the only way?
  2. I've never been a fan of cameras that don't have doors covering their screen, even though it's common for more professional cameras. I just keep imagining that a rock will fly from out of the blue and *crack* Are there screen covers you can buy that protect the surface from scratches at least, like the kind you would use to cover the screens on handheld gaming devices?
  3. The on/off switch is sometimes annoying. It's not a big deal, I just think a slider would have been better, something more like the switches they have on lenses.
Now I have a question. I want to get the most out of my camera and I know that the type of memory card you use can effect the speed as well.

My pro1 had come with a Canon high speed 64MB CF card. I needed more space, so I ordered a 2GB card from Amazon, but it wasn't Canon and didn't say high speed. When I used it in the pro1, the camera shot significantly slower.

Right now, I'm using the original Canon 64MB back in the pro1 and the 2GB card in my 40D. I tested both of the cards in my 40D and didn't notice it shooting slower with the 2GB card than it did with the 64MB.

I definitely want to buy another Canon CF high speed card, something larger than 2GB if they have it, but in general, what about a memory card will cause a camera to shoot slower the way my pro1 did? What's the main factor, I mean? Is it the storage size of the card, whether or not it says hi speed, the card type, the brand, or something else?

Thanks again everyone for helping me make this huge purchasing decision. I'm glad I came to you!

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 21, 2008 12:45 |  #2

There are a lot of factors. The size of the card, the card speed, the limits of the camera . . .

Take a look at Rob Galbraith's CF/SD database (external link) for some live tests of a variety of cards in a variety of cameras.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 21, 2008 12:50 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #3

I've been using one of these, and just ordered another. 4 GB 133x for $20, fits around 300 RAW images. Plenty fast for what I do (no sports or anything)

http://www.amazon.com …cs&qid=12193409​42&sr=8-11 (external link)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 21, 2008 12:51 as a reply to  @ egordon99's post |  #4

Ouch, I couldn't image using a 64MB card, that would give me FIVE shots a card, that's worse than film :lol:

prime80
Goldmember
2,360 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 21, 2008 12:54 |  #5

cyberphonics wrote in post #6152128 (external link)
To set the white balance on the pro1, all I had to do was push down on the directional pad (which would prep it to accept the WB data) and click "set" (which would take the picture, white object filling the frame of course). Just two button pushes. With the 40D, though, it seems that I have to take the picture, then go into the menus, find the white balance settings, then find the picture that I took that I want to use for the white balance and import it into those settings. Is that the only way?

AFAIK, about the only way to speed it up at all would be to add the WB setting to your "My Menu"

I've never been a fan of cameras that don't have doors covering their screen, even though it's common for more professional cameras. I just keep imagining that a rock will fly from out of the blue and *crack* Are there screen covers you can buy that protect the surface from scratches at least, like the kind you would use to cover the screens on handheld gaming devices?

I just use PDA screen protectors on mine. Cut them to fit and they stick on to the LCD screens quite well. Once it becomes worn or scratched, just peel it off and put a new one on.

I definitely want to buy another Canon CF high speed card, something larger than 2GB if they have it,

Actually, no you don't. Canon CF cards are slow and extremely overpriced. Invest in Sandisk Extreme III/IV if you want the very best, or if you're more budget-minded, I've had good luck with Transcend cards. Also, the only way the card speed is going to affect your shooting is if you fill up the buffer in continuous shooting mode. If that's not happening, the only real benefit you'll see is in card to computer transfer speeds.

John
EOS R, 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF-S 10-18 IS STM, 580EX II, EOS M
Full Gear List

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 21, 2008 13:02 |  #6

Sandisk ultra II are also decent for the money if you aren't concerned about break-neck speed.

The lcd already has a screen protector on it. if it get's too scratched, you can call canon and get a new one for like $15 or something.

the white balance thing is pretty easy and fast once you get used to it - having it on my menus makes it faster. they probably do this so that you could actually have multiple customs via photos on your card.

also - as long as I am shooting, I just keep it on. the battery life is pretty amazing if you don't use internal flash or the lcd very much.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 21, 2008 14:37 |  #7

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #6152236 (external link)
Sandisk ultra II are also decent for the money if you aren't concerned about break-neck speed.

The lcd already has a screen protector on it. if it get's too scratched, you can call canon and get a new one for like $15 or something.

the white balance thing is pretty easy and fast once you get used to it - having it on my menus makes it faster. they probably do this so that you could actually have multiple customs via photos on your card.

also - as long as I am shooting, I just keep it on. the battery life is pretty amazing if you don't use internal flash or the lcd very much.

All excellent points James !!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 21, 2008 15:30 |  #8

You can add the custom WB to your custom menu.

I wouldn't mess with a screen protector.

The switch is not easy to accidentally turn on or off.

Don't get a Canon card; totally unecessary. You can get a 4GB from newegg.com for 20-40 bucks.

lowrider
807 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 21, 2008 16:11 as a reply to  @ gooble's post |  #9

This 8GB card works great in my 40D. BTW, it also works great in my Pro1. I can't imagine a 64mb card:rolleyes:

http://www.datamemorys​ystems.com …LASH_CARD_DM55_​0191-3.asp (external link)

Lou

danielyamseng
Goldmember
2,036 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 22, 2008 08:52 as a reply to  @ lowrider's post |  #10

CF cards is cheaps nowadays. You either can get a cheap high capacity sandisk III .

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 22, 2008 11:04 |  #11

or what? :confused:

danielyamseng wrote in post #6155657 (external link)
CF cards is cheaps nowadays. You either can get a cheap high capacity sandisk III .

Bud-In-Tex
57 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 22, 2008 12:31 |  #12

The Rob Gailbraith site has a pretty good listing for CF cards and Canon to card write speeds. The best is [was] the SanDisk Extreme Ducati 8GB at 8.79MB/sec, but expensive and hard to find.

The least expensive in that spped range was the Ridata Pro 150 2GB at 8.68MB/sec - $28 bucks online. Make sure which RiData card you are looking at, there are cheaper and slower Ridata 2GB

I shoot the SanDisk Extreme III 2GB, listed 7.54MB/sec but still get the buffer full on high speed shutter. Of course there could be other factors involved.

Wonder If my Investments will Take me
As Far South as They Went?

Equiptment; 50D - 50 f1.8, 18-55, 28-135IS, 100mmMacro, 70-200 L, 180mmMacro, 100-400 L, Want more "L's" :rolleyes:

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 22, 2008 14:12 |  #13

egordon99 wrote in post #6152178 (external link)
I've been using one of these, and just ordered another. 4 GB 133x for $20, fits around 300 RAW images. Plenty fast for what I do (no sports or anything)

http://www.amazon.com …cs&qid=12193409​42&sr=8-11 (external link)

I just bought 4 of these at 11:95 each, not too bad but the shipping kills yu, 99 cents per order, and 5.99 per ITEM and or Pound.
In my case it was 24 bucks of shipping. Half the price of the cards, but the same card via Amazon were 19 dollars each and free shipping, but of course amazon is out right now.
So in this case I saved 6 bucks. Hope they work out good.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 22, 2008 14:16 as a reply to  @ flyingwolf's post |  #14

Mine was just delivered at 12:57 PM today. I guess it was a good deal since they're sold out.

Where did you get them for $12 each? I have an Amazon Prime membership, so FREE 2 day shipping for everything.

m-bartelt
789 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 23, 2008 01:57 |  #15

You can also do custom white balance post in Digital Photo Professional. Shoot your grey card, keep shooting your photos... when you get into DPP, select custom white balance setting, then click on the area of the grey card... I haven't used this in DPP, but it seems to work like this.

Shoot in RAW and you have the most flexibility and you can cycle through WB settings or use a custom one.

Canon 40D 10-22mm 24-105L 580 EX II
Canon IIIA LTM Serenar 28mm 3.5
Serenar 50mm 1.8
Leica IIIf RD ST LTM Elmar 50mm 3.5
Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Kodak Brownie No 2
:P

sponsored links

3,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 40D Update & Memory Cards
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.