Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Jul 2006 (Friday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!

this thread is locked
JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 24, 2008 05:46 |  #5671

I went for a long walk/drive yesterday and happened to be in a field near a battlefield monument. This old guy cycled up to me and began to put his bike in his car. He saw the 70-200 on my camera, the camera bag over my shoulder and very astutely asked "Have you been taking photographs?"

I wanted to say "No, I've just been doing a spot of rowing" but sheepishly said "Yes, it's a nice day for it isn't it?"

I hate bring British sometimes :)

Jo
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 24, 2008 06:10 |  #5672

This will only work for people that know the area but a few years back I was taking some pictures of the Angel of the North. I was using a 1D MkII and this was mounted on a Benbo MkII tripod (for anyone who does not know that particular tripod it is HUGE, about 9" (3 meters) fully extended). A lad of about 14 came up to me and asked what I was doing "Taking photographs." I replied. "What of?" he shot back ???

My only explanation is that if you live that close to it, you stop seeing it !

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

garryknight
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 24, 2008 17:06 |  #5673

JoYork wrote in post #6166902 (external link)
He saw the 70-200 on my camera, the camera bag over my shoulder and very astutely asked "Have you been taking photographs?"

I wanted to say "No, I've just been doing a spot of rowing"

I had something like this happen recently. In a shop with my 40D plus hooded 70-300mm lens, the guy behind the counter said (rather observantly, I thought), "Have you been taking photographs?" So I replied, "No, I just steal people's souls."

He laughed, pointed at his co-worker and said, "You can steal his soul, if you like." So I asked him, "What makes you think he's got one?" There was, of course, no answer.

Garry Knight
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/garryknight/ (external link)
Sony A6000, 16-50mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, 35mm; Nikon D5100, AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR, AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 ED VR, AF-S 50mm f/1.8G; and an iPhone XS.

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 24, 2008 21:32 |  #5674

I was out at an electrical pole fire this weekend, of course checking with the authorities on where they had the safe zone and whatnot.

As I am taking pictures I hear this kid in the background talking about how nice his camera is and how "those photog guys think they need a big lens".

I ignored him and kept getting some good high FPS shots of the transformer and lines sparking.

As I turn around I see him about 2 foot behind me lining up on my shots with a Nikon P&S, L3 I think it was.

Feeling like it was a good time to bring the young man into the real world of real cameras I showed him some of my shots, When I quickly scrolled through the shots of the sparks as if it were a movie his jaw promptly hit the ground.

I gave him some Info on cameras and pointed him here to POTN.

Nice kid, as I was walking away the guys standing with him ask how I got so close to the wires (70 - 200).
The kid replies, "you dummy that lens gets him so close he could probably feel the heat of the fire".
Not really a WTF but a nice jab.

While there I overheard the owners of the building closest to the pole speaking to the cops, so I snapped a couple of shots of them, They of course mugged for the camera and I couldn't help but ask why they were smiling so much, the husband replied "that's our building, we are going on vacation, and we have full insurance on it!"

As I walked away the officer that was close enough to over hear him came walking back and asked to speak to him.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 24, 2008 23:57 as a reply to  @ flyingwolf's post |  #5675

uh-oh! doh!

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 25, 2008 08:49 |  #5676

Got a new one. I was shooting with the 70-200 and a lady came up to me and said that I must be taking really big pictures with that really big camera. I said no, I was taking small pictures.

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Location: California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept

Aug 25, 2008 09:32 |  #5677

flyingwolf wrote in post #6171113 (external link)
I was out at an electrical pole fire this weekend, of course checking with the authorities on where they had the safe zone and whatnot.

While there I overheard the owners of the building closest to the pole speaking to the cops, so I snapped a couple of shots of them, They of course mugged for the camera and I couldn't help but ask why they were smiling so much, the husband replied "that's our building, we are going on vacation, and we have full insurance on it!"

As I walked away the officer that was close enough to over hear him came walking back and asked to speak to him.

I think that arson by transformer fire would not be anyones first choice....

It would be rather shocking

Wayne

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

X-Warrior
590 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2008 12:39 as a reply to  @ WMS's post |  #5678

"Hey mister photographer, take a picture of us!"
Annoying little kids shouting at me continuously while I was setting up for a truckrun (yes, that one on my site). I tried ignoring, but in the end chose just to say a short 'no', which left them not addressing me anymore with their noise (mind you, they remained annoyingly loud, fighting amongst eachother and stuff, until another person in the audience just sent them away), at least for the time being.

After the run, one of the kids tried again. I told him 'no, you're not worth it', and walked off.

At least I was left unhindered during my shoot. Not that I'd be able to hear anyone shout at me while those trucks were passing by *cough*, but still... :)

Something wide (external link), something long (external link), something fishy (external link), something strong (external link), something for details (external link), something to put it on (external link).
To view my image showcase, visit: http://www.dvdpimages.​com (external link)

I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 25, 2008 17:24 |  #5679

neil_r wrote in post #6166961 (external link)
This will only work for people that know the area but a few years back I was taking some pictures of the Angel of the North. I was using a 1D MkII and this was mounted on a Benbo MkII tripod (for anyone who does not know that particular tripod it is HUGE, about 9" (3 meters) fully extended). A lad of about 14 came up to me and asked what I was doing "Taking photographs." I replied. "What of?" he shot back ???

My only explanation is that if you live that close to it, you stop seeing it !

Is that 9" = 3 meters? That would be 9' or actually 9.84'. :)

Canon EOS 30D / Canon 430EX | Canon BG-E2 Grip | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Canon EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 USM

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 25, 2008 17:28 |  #5680

I26 wrote in post #6176477 (external link)
Is that 9" = 3 meters? That would be 9' or actually 9.84'. :)

Picky. Picky.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

crazyskillz07
"invisible to everyone"
2,874 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 25, 2008 17:55 |  #5681

For some reason I always get asked if I am from the newspaper or from sports illustrated. I think from now on I will just say yes. But then again, that would be immoral.

-Turk- Blog (external link)
Canon EOS 40D w/ BG-E2N... Canon EOS 30D...

SoccerRef
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 25, 2008 19:14 |  #5682

Just got one at a soccer game...

Me - shooting with my 20D with 70-200...

Man (who I know) walking by with wife - "Honey, His camera is better than mine."
Wife - "Yeah."
Man - "And his Lens is MUCH better than mine"
Wife - "Yeah."
Man - "I want one like his"
Wife - "OK... So do you want to hear the list of things I want?"
Man (to me) - "Maybe I could just borrow yours."

SoccerRef - PergerPhotography.com (external link) - SUPPORT POTN HERE (external link)My Canon Gear - 7D, Gripped 40D, Gripped 20D, SD780IS, EFS 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF 28-135 IS, 420EX
My Sigma Gear - 70-200 f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 EX DG
Next in Line
- 5D, or Mark IIn

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 25, 2008 19:25 |  #5683

SoccerRef wrote in post #6177129 (external link)

Man (who I know) walking by with wife - "Honey, His camera is better than mine."
Wife - "Yeah."
Wife - "Yeah."

:lol::lol::lol:

One of the better tales in this thread...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

swampler
879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2008 19:57 |  #5684

SoccerRef wrote in post #6177129 (external link)

Wife - "Yeah."
Wife - "Yeah."

Classic!

Steve

I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 25, 2008 20:22 |  #5685

belmondo wrote in post #6176493 (external link)
Picky. Picky.

Just messin' around. I seen it said 9 inches and had to point it out. Its from years and years of blue print reading.

Canon EOS 30D / Canon 430EX | Canon BG-E2 Grip | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Canon EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 USM

sponsored links

1,721,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.