Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 21:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you get RAW images off the camera

zebelkinton
30 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 27, 2008 21:59 |  #1

I just don't know how to get RAW images off the camera without my computer turning them into JPEG's Any suggestions? :confused:

sponsored links
qtfsniper
238 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 27, 2008 22:25 |  #2

wait what? Are you shooting raw? If so there should be raw files on the camera when you drag and drop / whatever you do. If they are jpegs, you will have jpeg in camera. I don't know of anything that will automatically convert them without a prompt.

zebelkinton
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 27, 2008 23:06 as a reply to  @ qtfsniper's post |  #3

Well I'm really new to the digital camera stuff so bare with me. But I have it set as RAW plus L. Then there is a feature called just RAW so I'm confused is RAW plus L jpeg? :confused:

qtfsniper
238 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 27, 2008 23:35 |  #4

Raw + L jpeg would be raw + a large quality jpeg. It creates two copies of the file - one raw and one large jpeg of each picture.

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 27, 2008 23:38 |  #5

How are you transferring the files from your camera to the computer? You may only be pulling off the .jpgs...

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 28, 2008 00:00 |  #6

Jim G wrote in post #6194307 (external link)
How are you transferring the files from your camera to the computer? You may only be pulling off the .jpgs...

That's the most likely cause, and can be fixed by an inexpensive card reader (sandisk makes nice usb and firewire readers). The other cause could be with the program you use, I know LR has an option to treat jpg+raw as one file, perhaps others do too, unless you can't even get them on the computer, in which case we are back to 1.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 28, 2008 00:17 |  #7

+1 for Card reader.

This is a windows thing.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

qtfsniper
238 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 28, 2008 02:45 |  #8

René Damkot wrote in post #6194507 (external link)
+1 for Card reader.

This is a windows thing.

How is it a windows things? People have been pulling raws from camera with windows fine for as long as raws have been available. Depending on the transfer mode of connection; a card reader functions as the exact same device as a camera connection.

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 28, 2008 02:59 |  #9

This is not a business question, it's in the wrong forum.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

flyingwolf
66 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 28, 2008 07:07 |  #10

I hate to say it, but this is standard stuff, you really need to get acquainted with your camera.

Semper Fi.
Little box that holds light.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 28, 2008 09:41 |  #11

qtfsniper wrote in post #6195032 (external link)
How is it a windows things?

Like so: Click

You need the proper driver / software / whatever.

With a card reader life get's mutch easier, not to mention it'll download faster...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

zebelkinton
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 28, 2008 11:16 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #12

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. :( Anyway, I'm pulling the images off the camera by USB. Then the Scanner and Camera Wizard comes up with the images. Is there another way besides a Card reader to use the USB and get the RAW images off? Another thing what program opens RAW files I downloaded a raw file last night from a website just to check it out and PS doesn't open RAW images. Any Ideas on that?

Thanks

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 28, 2008 11:19 |  #13

If you are using a Canon, then use the Canon software that came with your camera for the RAW files. If you don't have the disc, then you can go to the website and download it.

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

Simoli
685 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 28, 2008 11:21 |  #14

I would really get a card reader, $10-20 for a decent one and they are sooo much faster.

Jim (external link)
www.simoli.net (external link) || Gear List

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 28, 2008 11:42 |  #15

You need to use the software that came with the camera for the raw files. If not you can use Faststone imageviewer(free) to view raw files that you put on your computer. PS does not read RAW.

I recommend if you have Canon install the software on the disk. DPP will allow you to see the RAW files. Then from there you can make them TIFF to move to PS. Now if you are using another brand Nikon, Samsung, Sony camera then they also come with software to read RAW.

Also it may be faster to check your product guide for information and answers. This forum is a great resource but since you are learning that guide should be your BFF.

A card reader is the way to go but that is personal preference and is not something that is NEEDED.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

sponsored links

1,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you get RAW images off the camera
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.