Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XTI & 40D owners

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 31, 2008 18:28 |  #1

For those of you who owned the xti & 40D or upgraded from xti to 40D. Please post your pros and cons.

I just wanted to say that the 40D AF is way faster than the XTI. On AI servo mode with same AV/ISO settings for on coming runners, drivers etc.. XTI produces a lot more blurry photos from not Auto Focusing fast enough than the 40D.

Anyone experienced the same?

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links
Hazey
419 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 31, 2008 21:31 |  #2

I upgraded to a 40D when my daughter purchsed my xti a few months ago. There are some things that I feel are a true upgrade like the larger screen and the increased burst rate but I am yet to use live view.
I only upgraded because the opportunity was there. The xti is a great camera and my daughter is turning out shots that more than equal mine. Unless you really need to upgrade due to frustration that your xti doesn't do what you need and the 40D can, I would save your money and put it into more nice lenses.
For what it's worth, the xti does not produce blurrier photos than the 40D in any mode and I would put that down to user error before blaming the camera. Go and look at Ken Rockwells site and see what he says about camera upgrades.;)

:) Hayley
Canon EOS 5DMKII:D/ Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM / Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 USM / Canon 17-40 f/4 / Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 01, 2008 03:24 |  #3

...but ignore what Ken says about shooting jpg vs raw, etc.

Jo
Flickr (external link)

20ls01
166 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 01, 2008 03:30 |  #4

hate the xti body, feels like a tonka toy and its way too small

40d is the total opposite of that. 40d is a winner

Hazey
419 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 01, 2008 03:37 as a reply to  @ 20ls01's post |  #5

Jo..I can't help but wonder if her is taking the mickey with some of the stuff he writes on that site you know. For example he states that he takes all his photos on full auto...and that setting cameras manually is from the dark ages in the 50's.??????:rolleyes: He can't be for real, and if he is, my opinion of him went down a few notches.:confused:

:) Hayley
Canon EOS 5DMKII:D/ Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM / Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 USM / Canon 17-40 f/4 / Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

dithiolium
697 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 01, 2008 03:52 |  #6

Been using my 400D for 15mths. Got a 40D 3weeks back cos I needed a backup camera. heh. Also I needed the larger grip to shoot events with flash + large lenses. I don't track fast objects so I cant comment on the AF Servo.

1. The AF on 40D is much much faster. I felt the 400D with L lenses was real fast, now its even faster.
2. Grip (not the battery grip) is more comfy. Better weight balance. I get less wrist pains now.
3. High ISO is much cleaner esp at ISO1600. With high ISO NR even less luminance.
4. 1/8000th shutter very useful when shooting in bright light with large aperture.
5. TV/AV safety shift very very useful.
Just yesterday, outdoor photography with fill flash, suddenly I have to take a shot shooting into the sun, cam auto shifts to small aperture to compensate. Of course, I have FEC at +1 as well.
6. HTP, I have it on, but dunno how it would turn out without it. Sometimes still have to reduce the highlights in PP.
7. Up to ISO400, IQ identical and clean for both cameras.
8. C1 to C3 presets useful for quick response to fast changing situations.
9. Initially 40D felt bulky, now its the reverse - the 400D feels like a toy. But its a toy that really delivers.
10. The 400D was worth every dollar I paid, got great photos from it. 40D was worth every dollar, til the 50D was announced heh.

Taking casual photos e.g. on holiday, the 400D is already sufficient, with its small comapct size. Event shooting 40D responds better, allows me to get the shot faster.

Cheers

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis of a government
Gear List / Flickr (external link)

Naturalworldphotographer
661 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 01, 2008 03:59 |  #7

dithiolium wrote in post #6218137 (external link)
Been using my 400D for 15mths. Got a 40D 3weeks back cos I needed a backup camera. heh. Also I needed the larger grip to shoot events with flash + large lenses. I don't track fast objects so I cant comment on the AF Servo.

1. The AF on 40D is much much faster. I felt the 400D with L lenses was real fast, now its even faster.
2. Grip (not the battery grip) is more comfy. Better weight balance. I get less wrist pains now.
3. High ISO is much cleaner esp at ISO1600. With high ISO NR even less luminance.
4. 1/8000th shutter very useful when shooting in bright light with large aperture.
5. TV/AV safety shift very very useful.
Just yesterday, outdoor photography with fill flash, suddenly I have to take a shot shooting into the sun, cam auto shifts to small aperture to compensate. Of course, I have FEC at +1 as well.
6. HTP, I have it on, but dunno how it would turn out without it. Sometimes still have to reduce the highlights in PP.
7. Up to ISO400, IQ identical and clean for both cameras.
8. C1 to C3 presets useful for quick response to fast changing situations.
9. Initially 40D felt bulky, now its the reverse - the 400D feels like a toy. But its a toy that really delivers.
10. The 400D was worth every dollar I paid, got great photos from it. 40D was worth every dollar, til the 50D was announced heh.

Taking casual photos e.g. on holiday, the 400D is already sufficient, with its small comapct size. Event shooting 40D responds better, allows me to get the shot faster.

Cheers

What he said. :P

I too found the autofocus alot quicker and tracks better on the 40D than the 400D.

Ashley Taylor
Canon 5D and a few nice lenses. Sony RX100 is there too! :)

luant16
424 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 03, 2008 02:56 |  #8

I moved from Rebel to 40D, and i tried 2 different XTIs (my friends), it felt very slow, and even though its a bit faster than my Rebel, You'll still feel slowness, Besides the grip is worse than my Rebel.

tin.risky
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 03, 2008 10:25 |  #9

Just moved from the XTi to a 40D. Took it to a family bbq two days ago and was blown away by the number of keepers. Kids running around and jumping on a trampoline are usually hard to capture, but between the faster AF and burst speed I got some really nice shots. Take a look at my smugmug for some examples.

The grip and general feel of the camera are much more substantial than the XTi. It's almost like comparing the 50 f/1.2L and the 50 f/1.8.

Noise is controlled much better on the 40D, which was my main reason to move up. Shots up to iso1600 are excellent with very little noise.

Another thing that I find is much more handy is the scroll wheel and joystick on the back of the 40D. It makes changing settings, viewing pictures, and navigating the menu much easier and faster. The top lcd screen is also very handy. The brighter, larger viewfinder is great for macro photography and just nicer to look through in general.

Jam71868
536 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 03, 2008 11:28 |  #10

I just purchased the 40d. I have the XTI for a backup. A recent wedding shoot showed me that the 40d is DRAMATICALLY better at noise. I knew there would be a difference, but was shocked at how much better it was.

Focusing is more precise and faster.

Gear:
Canon 5d MKII, Canon 40d, Canon 30d, Canon XTi
Canon 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200 2.8 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8
(2) Canon 580 EXII Flash
(2) Alien Bee 800's

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 03, 2008 11:43 |  #11

I DEFINATLEY have more keepers with the 40D. I think the focus is more accurate with the 40D. The Autofocus is super fast too.
I like the larger screen and the feel of the camera.
People are impressed when I use the grip on the 40D *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

printguy
243 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 03, 2008 13:27 |  #12

In addition to better autofocus I like the feel of the 40D better than the XTi. Also the battery lasts so much longer in the 40D that I don't feel the need for a battery grip. The viewfinder is also an improvement. Now if only I could figure out how to not get "face grease" on the lcd . . .

Wayne
5D; 7D; 40D; 400D; S90; Canon EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L IS, EF 70-200 f/4L, EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF-S 60 f/2.8 macro, EF 100 f/2.8 macro, EF 200 f/2.8L II; Domke stuff: F-2, J-1, F-4AF, F-5XB, F-802; Think Tank Retrospective 20; Gitzo 2941 w/Kirk BH-3; more other stuff than I care to admit to

Pandya
243 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 03, 2008 13:46 |  #13

On/Off switch on the 400D is far nicer. I appreciate the 40D can be just left on, but still...40D's On/Off switch is just lame.

I very much appreciate the quick dial, its more intuitive and vastly quicker than the 400D's dpad. Equally, setting aperture on the 400D is relatively clunky (hold a button and spin shutter wheel). Spinning the quick dial for aperture is nicer.

ISO performance on both cameras seems pretty much identical at low ISOs. I've only taken my 40D up to ISO200 so I can't comment on its high-iso performance, but I do know it has better noise characteristics. 1/8000th shutter is also great when your shot demands a wide aperture in high light situations. I've never had a complaint about the 400D's battery, so it wouldn't be fair to rate the 40D's vastly better. It does have twice the capacity though.

Ergonomics are alot better on the 40D, and again, I can't really rate AF speed, but the 40D has been spot on. Using the little joystick to select AF point really is...a...joy >.>

I love my 400D and it has rewarded me with many excellent photos, and I have it mounted to my 70-200 now. I also love my 40D and I keep that mounted to my 17-40L...I love having both cameras. The 40D is superior, but you'd expect so because of the price, but the 400D is still an excellent camera and certainly makes a great backup body or second body for the 40D.

flickr (external link)

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 03, 2008 14:24 |  #14

rebel series are small and some photographers dn't like the feeling/comfortable with it. 40D is bigger, built and most of the specs is better. i just love mine.

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

sjlund
568 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 03, 2008 15:00 |  #15

I upgraded from the XTi to the 40D a few weeks ago. Autofocus is much faster and I don't hesitate to use ISO1600 if I need it. The larger and brighter viewfinder is great, and the controls are much faster to use even though I'm still getting used to them. The build quality is much more solid on the 40D, but it's also heavier. I like that the LCD on the back isn't always on because it can ruin your nightvision when you're doing night photography. The high speed burst mode really took me by surprise. It's really fast! The on/on/off switch is annoying, but I leave the camera on most of the time anyway.

Gear List

sponsored links

2,420 views & 0 likes for this thread
XTI & 40D owners
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.