Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2008 (Friday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tethered shooting with a 5D and Mac OS X ???

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 31, 2008 19:01 |  #16

Turn camera on and connect the camera to the computer, launch EOS Utility and then LR. This sequence works flawlessly for my 1Ds2. It should take about 3 seconds for the image to appear.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

sponsored links
breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 31, 2008 19:11 |  #17

PacAce wrote in post #6214337 (external link)
There's always the WFT module if you really want to be 100% wireless. ;) :lol:

Yeah if you want to die from boredom waiting for the picture to transfer :), I have one for sale.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

FarFarAway
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 01, 2008 04:46 |  #18

MacOS X 10.5.2 + Capture One Pro 3.7.9 + Canon EOS 5D = tethered shooting works as it should from the start.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 01, 2008 07:09 |  #19

breal101 wrote in post #6215977 (external link)
Yeah if you want to die from boredom waiting for the picture to transfer :), I have one for sale.

A slow pic transfer doesn't mean you have to stop taking pictures while waiting for the transfer. Remember, in this case, the pictures on the screen are for the benefit of potential customers, not for you to chimp at. ;)

...Leo

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 01, 2008 07:33 |  #20

True enough Leo but in our case we need to do both, tethered we get near instant feedback. The WFT is just to slow for it to be much use to us. It could be useful to someone who likes to move around and shoot different angles but we tend to have the camera on a tripod and adjust lighting to shoot just that angle. We bought it with the 1Ds MkIIs , tested it, rejected it and put it back in the box. We probably should have returned it but we thought it might someday come in handy. So far after about 2 years it hasn't happened, so now we want to get rid of it.

Rudi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Sep 01, 2008 09:19 |  #21

OK boys, no fighting! :D

I will be trying out the DPP and Lightroom trick in the morning. Will let you know what I think.

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 01, 2008 09:33 |  #22

breal101 wrote in post #6218636 (external link)
True enough Leo but in our case we need to do both, tethered we get near instant feedback. The WFT is just to slow for it to be much use to us. It could be useful to someone who likes to move around and shoot different angles but we tend to have the camera on a tripod and adjust lighting to shoot just that angle. We bought it with the 1Ds MkIIs , tested it, rejected it and put it back in the box. We probably should have returned it but we thought it might someday come in handy. So far after about 2 years it hasn't happened, so now we want to get rid of it.

Are you shooting RAW? RAW files do take a little longer to transfer than JPEG images. And are you using wireless 802.11G? G is much faster than B or A. But you are right, wireless transfer is slower than wired USB.

It would be great if Canon comes out with a wireless transmitter that can transmit at 802.11N speed in the very near future! :)

...Leo

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 01, 2008 09:37 |  #23

Rudi wrote in post #6219086 (external link)
OK boys, no fighting! :D

I will be trying out the DPP and Lightroom trick in the morning. Will let you know what I think.

Good luck! If you try both of them, I'd be interesting in a comparison of the two programs and which you like better. :)

...Leo

Rudi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Sep 01, 2008 09:48 |  #24

My bad, I meant EOS Utility and Lightroom, but I guess once I have everything hooked up I might as well try DPP as well. :)

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 01, 2008 10:51 |  #25

I can tether my 5D but get errors with my 1D Mark IIn with my Mac, I remember some "trick" somewhere but can't find it. I'm using EOS Utility and ImageBrowser but never thought of the auto import w/Lightroom. Let me know if anyone knows the issue with the error and the 1D Mark IIn with EOS Utility.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 01, 2008 11:50 |  #26

PacAce wrote in post #6219132 (external link)
Are you shooting RAW? RAW files do take a little longer to transfer than JPEG images. And are you using wireless 802.11G? G is much faster than B or A. But you are right, wireless transfer is slower than wired USB.

It would be great if Canon comes out with a wireless transmitter that can transmit at 802.11N speed in the very near future! :)

Always RAW for us, and if they can get a faster interface we will probably be the first to grab it up. Switching to 1DsMkIII soon so that would be even more important.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 02, 2008 07:33 as a reply to  @ breal101's post |  #27

taygull wrote in post #6219437 (external link)
I can tether my 5D but get errors with my 1D Mark IIn with my Mac, I remember some "trick" somewhere but can't find it. I'm using EOS Utility and ImageBrowser but never thought of the auto import w/Lightroom. Let me know if anyone knows the issue with the error and the 1D Mark IIn with EOS Utility.

What error?

I use my 1D2 with Eos utility and DPP...

You're using FW, right?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 02, 2008 07:59 |  #28

René Damkot wrote in post #6224733 (external link)
What error?

I use my 1D2 with Eos utility and DPP...

You're using FW, right?

Yes I am using the FireWire cable...to my Macbook Pro. I'll get you the exact error later today since my FW cable is at the studio.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

rupek
126 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 04, 2008 13:01 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #29

I use aperture myself with my 350d, works perfectly for me. automatically imports them all, give the trial a go and see how you get on

Scott
Sony A7 || Sony 28-70 || Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.4 || Konica Hexanon 135mm 3.2

sponsored links

13,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tethered shooting with a 5D and Mac OS X ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.