Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Jul 2008 (Friday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

GPS logger recommendations

mahoro
196 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 03, 2008 15:18 |  #46

frank10 wrote in post #6228021 (external link)
Are you using the holux m-241? bluetooth, AA sized batteries, and a good price. seems like a good choice for me.

What's the bluetooth use for actually?

XSI , 18-55IS, Sigma 30mm F/1.4, , EF-S 60mm, 80-200F2.8L, Sigma 400mm APO F/5.6, 550EX, Velbon 5300 CF Tripod

Kenski
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 10:02 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

frank10 wrote in post #6228021 (external link)
Are you using the holux m-241? bluetooth, AA sized batteries, and a good price. seems like a good choice for me.

YUP... Great GPS receiver.. LOVE IT!!! Ive been using energizer NiMh batteries and works GREAT!

[highlight]40D, 30D, 300D 10-22mm 15mm 17-40mm 24-70mm 50mm 60mm 70-200 IS, 100-400 IS[/highlight]
"One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus is an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus is a style."
Kenski Photography (external link)

Kenski
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 10:03 |  #48
bannedPermanent ban

mahoro wrote in post #6234381 (external link)

There are only two things I use it for, Computer and blackberry. Dont know if you can use it to transfer files via bluetooth, haven't tried that yet but I use it for mapping. I guess I should try it for transfering files huh... :)

[highlight]40D, 30D, 300D 10-22mm 15mm 17-40mm 24-70mm 50mm 60mm 70-200 IS, 100-400 IS[/highlight]
"One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus is an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus is a style."

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 13, 2008 10:22 |  #49

mahoro wrote in post #6234381 (external link)

Some GPS units function only as data loggers, storing a record of positions on a file which is transferrable to a PC, similar to USB flash memory transfer. Some transfer via cable connect, some (not all that have Bluetooth capability!) can transfer files via Bluetooth

Other GPS units function as GPS receivers that send position data to devices that actively receive and track realtime position, such as PDA and PCs. This can be done by some units via cord, both other units send realtime position via Bluetooth

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
45,901 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 13, 2008 10:26 |  #50

Kenski wrote in post #6154356 (external link)
gisteqs GPS reciver is junk though. Software seems to be good..... Its not worth it to me, Id rather have a better receiver...

It appears that Gisteq Phototrakr used to use a GPS chipset which was inferior in reception to other chips. Now Gisteq offers a newer Phototraker (unfortunately, same model name!) with the lower power consuming but good sensitivity MTK chipset, which is similar to SIRF III chip in sensivity (SIRF III is significantly more power demanding)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Kenski
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 10:32 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #6299129 (external link)
Some GPS units function only a data loggers, storing a record of positions on a file which is transferrable to a PC, similar to USB flash memory transfer. Some transfer via cable connect, some (not all that have Bluetooth capability!) can transfer files via Bluetooth

Other GPS units function as GPS receivers that send position data to devices that actively receive and track realtime position, such as PDA and PCs. This can be done by some units via cord, both other units send realtime position via Bluetooth

Yeah, doesn't look good for transfering via bluetooth with Holux, just for positioning data. No biggie whats another USB cable to add to the mix. I only have 4 inputs on the one monitor, 2 on the other, 6 front and 6 back on the computer. Im getting SICK of all these USB cables though! :) They need to start putting in USB charge plugs in cars and installing them in houses!!! :) No more adapters!!! I wish!

I know woot was selling a power inverter that converted 12vdc to 110 plus had 7 USB adapters.... THAT WOULD ROCK! Wish I picked it up...

awdark
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 13, 2008 16:40 |  #52

Does anyone have experience using older gps units for logging? I have a Garmin GPS12 and for short distances it logs the track well, but I have issues with the GPS data not sure if its non y2k or something because some numbers make it sound like im in 1949 or something

Kenski
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 16:44 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

does it log and can you retrive the logs??? That is the main question...

*EDIT* well acording to the web page https://buy.garmin.com …pecs/gps12serie​s_spec.pdf (external link) ; It uses NMEA 0183 so you need to find a software that will use NMEA... Doesn't seem to talk about its capacity or how often it saves points.

Wilt
45,901 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 13, 2008 17:06 |  #54

Kenski wrote in post #6300689 (external link)

*EDIT* well acording to the web page https://buy.garmin.com …pecs/gps12serie​s_spec.pdf (external link) ; It uses NMEA 0183 so you need to find a software that will use NMEA... Doesn't seem to talk about its capacity or how often it saves points.

Saying 'NMEA' merely idicates the fact that it can output a form which is an acknowledged standard, but says noting about saving that data internally for transfer later.

frank10
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 13, 2008 17:46 |  #55

Kenski wrote in post #6299038 (external link)
There are only two things I use it for, Computer and blackberry. Dont know if you can use it to transfer files via bluetooth, haven't tried that yet but I use it for mapping. I guess I should try it for transfering files huh... :)

I've used my bluetooth for data transfer. That's the only way to do it with vista 64

awdark
72 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 15, 2008 13:35 |  #56

Kenski wrote in post #6300689 (external link)

Yeah, I am not sure how often it saves, but it does have storage for 1024 points. The lines aren't smooth, but might not be bad to get a few rough lines of where I took it for the fun value. I prefer to use free software and used EasyGPS (I think) to read the tracks and save it as a GPX. I emailed garmin about it and will see what they say.

Wilt
45,901 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 15, 2008 15:18 |  #57

I've been putting together a chart of GPS loggers and noting if the included software or additional software can be used for embedding positional data when RAW is captured (rather than JPEG files). This is a works in progress...

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/GPSlogger.jpg

alduin
915 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 15, 2008 15:30 |  #58

Wilt wrote in post #6311923 (external link)
I've been putting together a chart of GPS loggers and noting if the included software or additional software can be used for embedding positional data when RAW is captured (rather than JPEG files). This is a works in progress...

I think this'll be a great help for folks as this geotagging nonsense gets more popular. Thanks!

One small correction: the AMOD runs on 3xAAA, not 3xAA.

7D+BG-E7 | 5D | G9 | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 10-22mm | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN565EX
Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 | 680B/234RC

LuckyRobJ
141 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 17, 2008 07:12 as a reply to  @ alduin's post |  #59

Figured I'd post an update from my experiences. I'm currently on holiday (halfway through 4 week tour of Oz) and my Gisteq is working wonderfully. I chose it because of its large memory capacity. It's on every day that I'm shooting and it hasn't filled up yet. I've set it to log once every 8 seconds though, so that it will last me all month.

Glad I chose the rechargable version, as I'd have burned through quite a few AAs by now.

Will write more on my experiences when I return home and have been able to examine the data and spend more time on this.

Rob

www.rawpixels.ca (external link)
My gear: Canon 20d+grip, 70-200 f4L, EF-s 17-85mm IS, 50mm f1.8, EF-s 10-22

Wilt
45,901 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 17, 2008 08:53 |  #60

LuckyRobJ wrote in post #6323887 (external link)
my Gisteq is ...on every day that I'm shooting and it hasn't filled up yet. I've set it to log once every 8 seconds though, so that it will last me all month.

Glad I chose the rechargable version, as I'd have burned through quite a few AAs by now.

Of course, there is always the use of NiMH rechargeable AA batteries, which I would prefer over any proprietary form factor rechargeable...NiMH (and Li ion) do wear out and lose capacity after about 3 years, so the need to replace batteries is inevitable.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

11,940 views & 0 likes for this thread, 28 members have posted to it.
GPS logger recommendations
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.