Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 01:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKII haters wanting to switch to Nikon

this thread is locked
THREAD ­ STARTER
863 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:51 |  #91
bannedPermanent ban

cdifoto wrote in post #6325857 (external link)
I know what I'm doing and I do need more than just the center to work. In more than just broad daylight.

These guys work in studios alot, sometimes in low, moody light too and they select various AF points, not just center. I have assisted on these shoots and seen it first hand. Maybe practice a bit more?

40D,Tamron 28-75 f/2.8,Nifty Fifty,Vixia HV30 HD

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,083 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:52 |  #92

blonde wrote in post #6324235 (external link)
i seriously can't stop laughing :) some people on this forum are just too funny. i really hope that Canon pays you well...

did you cash your nikon check yet ;)?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

smcclelland
Goldmember
2,686 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 17, 2008 11:53 |  #93

2112 wrote in post #6325908 (external link)
I have assisted on these shoots and seen it first hand. Maybe practice a bit more?

Getting the Perrier water doesn't count when you consider cdi is actually the one taking the photos. You should really be more mindful of the comments you make towards the actual shooters on these boards.

Shawn | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)
There used to be Canon gear here but it disappeared.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:54 |  #94

These guys work in studios alot, sometimes in low, moody light too and they select various AF points, not just center. I have assisted on these shoots and seen it first hand. Maybe practice a bit more?

The real world doesn't have modeling lamps. Oh and my primary camera is a 1D II.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 17, 2008 11:55 |  #95

2112 wrote in post #6325842 (external link)
Said it before and I will say it again...if you need 51 AF points to get a shot in focus, you should really get a new profession or hobby. I dont use a 5D, but every pro I know who does gets razor sharp pics all the time because they know what they are doing.

shoot a wedding with nine-point AF. it works, but out of the 1500 pictures you take in a day, a good handful will be misses and "every pro" knows that sometimes playing your luck like that could mean the difference between getting the shot you want and getting the shot that the camera resolves before the shutter is released. it's not a need, it just part of the tool that helps you do your work more efficiently and consistently. if this wasn't the case, we'd all be using 20D's because i've seen decent wedding work done with those. all lack of skill by the photographers if they want a better camera body right?

edit: typo

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:56 |  #96

who uses all the focus points anyhow? use the center only.. focus, recompose, shoot..

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

Epphoto
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 17, 2008 11:57 |  #97

You can use live view also:D:D:D

Get ready for a photographic journey of discovery, incredible beauty,and culture come see the world through my lens
www.epphoto.net

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:57 |  #98

LOL not likely there are many ready to switch that are Canon owners rather thaan flamers.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:58 |  #99

zacker wrote in post #6325960 (external link)
who uses all the focus points anyhow? use the center only.. focus, recompose, shoot..

I don't use all the focus points of my 1D, but I do use quite a few of them. It's generally the far left points that go neglected because I don't rotate clockwise for verticals.

Focus-recompose, as I said before, doesn't work all the time.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
863 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:59 |  #100
bannedPermanent ban

smcclelland wrote in post #6325895 (external link)
2112: you seem to be the most insecure having to resort to a thread trying to usher the disappointed users out the door to their Nikon counterparts and constantly making attempts at belittling anyone who even tries to speak up for the Nikon crowd. Lets face it, Canon has NOTHING... let me repeat that... NOTHING right now that holds a light to what Nikon offers in their bodies. As far as bang for the buck and features goes, Nikon actually has their finger on the pulse of what their shooters wanted and were looking for coming from a D200/D2 background. What has Canon done in light of the 1D2 and 5D users?

Well lets see...Canon was the first company to even think about offering a full frame digital at an affordable price. Nikon didnt even have a full frame until very recently and dont even make their own sensors, Sony makes them. Canon beats Nikon in both image quality and lenses, the TWO MOST IMPORTANT parts of the final product. Nikon needs to load their cameras up with things that really dont make for a better final products hoping people will be amazed by features instead of image quality and buy their product. Sorry, Canon still wins.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2008 12:01 |  #101

2112 wrote in post #6325988 (external link)
Well lets see...Canon was the first company to even think about offering a full frame digital at an affordable price. Nikon didnt even have a full frame until very recently and dont even make their own sensors, Sony makes them. Canon beats Nikon in both image quality and lenses, the TWO MOST IMPORTANT parts of the final product. Nikon needs to load their cameras up with things that really dont make for a better final products hoping people will be amazed by features instead of image quality and buy their product. Sorry, Canon still wins.

That was in the past. Since the D300/D3/D700, image quality has been pretty much even between the brands.

Canon doesn't have the IQ or full frame advantage anymore (affordable or otherwise). It doesn't matter who did it first - it matters who does it best.

Alexajlex
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 17, 2008 12:01 |  #102

smcclelland wrote in post #6325895 (external link)
The whole cross-productizing of video recording into DSLR's is such a wasted feature when you consider the 5D being a prosumer/pro level DSLR; if Canon had of put a better effort in and listened to its users a little closer they might have been able to offer a more solid feature set rather than a gimmick.

All things being fair it was Nikon that was first to the market with video on a DSLR. Canon was forced to follow the trend because they got to keep up with the features of the competition (even video which was/is being looked out as a odd feature on a DSLR). Reality wise Canon and Nikon were working on getting video into their DSLRs at the same time. Nikon was first to the market by a bit and announced their unit first.

When the product people had their meeting and the question was asked "What are the 3 most imporant features we hear people as for and need to include them in the 5DMKII?" When I say people I refer to what the majority of the camera users say (not just Pro photogs that use only DSLRs). I'm talking about regular people that want a nice DSLR than can ocasionally take some video. I'm sure the fact that RED is working on a truly professional solution for high end photo and video also made Canon bring this to the market. I'm sure a similar process happened at Canon.

Gear: 40D | XTi gripped | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 | Sigma 20 1.8 | Canon 55-250 IS | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Canon WD-58 WA Converter | 580EX II | Sunpak 383

"Amateurs worry about equipment, pros worry about money, masters worry about light..."

smcclelland
Goldmember
2,686 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 17, 2008 12:01 |  #103

Spoken like a true inexperienced shooter. Moving on..

THREAD ­ STARTER
863 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 17, 2008 12:01 |  #104
bannedPermanent ban

smcclelland wrote in post #6325932 (external link)
Getting the Perrier water doesn't count when you consider cdi is actually the one taking the photos. You should really be more mindful of the comments you make towards the actual shooters on these boards.

I AM a shooter and as one, you should know that the best usually learn by assisting very good photographers earlier on in their career. Unless of course you are just a hobbyist.

smcclelland
Goldmember
2,686 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 17, 2008 12:03 |  #105

Actually many of the best here have developed their own style through their own learnings and adventures. That's what makes photography an art is that each photographer develops their own way of interpreting their surroundings or composing their shot. Simply tagging along behind someone doesn't make you the next greatest thing, they can teach you to fish but it doesn't mean you'll be successful at catching anything.

sponsored links

17,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MKII haters wanting to switch to Nikon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.