Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do you own 2 cameras?

Joey40D
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 17, 2008 07:24 |  #46

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #6321100 (external link)
How about, "because they can?" Seriously, lots of times when you upgrade to a new body, it's just not worth the trouble to sell the older body (it has depreciated), and it's just easier to keep it for a backup which can be used withe a 2nd lens.

Ahh.. another good answer.
You're right, sometimes the older body is not worth selling. Which leads to people buy an older body from those that are willing to sell.
Which may then lead to everyone else saying backup camera.
And of course, what do you do when you have 2 cameras? One wide, one regular.

Thanks !!

sponsored links
Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,523 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 17, 2008 08:21 |  #47

Two? Ha. I own nine or more...  :p

La Vida Leica! (external link)LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 17, 2008 08:28 |  #48

I have two of the same model.

The flexibility to switch wide to telephoto without changing lens in the field.

Also, as a back up.

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

h_A_Z
92 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 17, 2008 10:10 |  #49

When I get the 5DmkII (if I can get the money for it), then I'll have 2 bodies :)

Canon 5D Mark 2, 35mm f/1.4L , 430EXII + Demb Diffuser
Leica M6 TTL 0.85 , 40mm VC f/1.4
HS Photography (external link)

leitch
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 17, 2008 10:24 |  #50

Just shot the MTB World Cup in Schladming, Austria - 40d with 135L and 350d with 24-70L or Toke fisheye. In those dirty, muddy and (in the case of Schladming last week) rainy conditions, you really don't want to be changing lenses much, if at all.

~Andrew~
Canon 5D | Canon BG-e4 | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L | Canon EF 135mm f/2L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Speedlite 580ex II | Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 | Giottos MT 9360 with Manfrotto 488 RC2
take a look at my blog (external link)flickr (external link)

Raymond ­ Lin
458 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 17, 2008 10:29 |  #51

I plan to shoot weddings, so its a must, both for safety and practicality of the need to change lens.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 17, 2008 11:12 |  #52

I only have one, but I plan on keeping the 40D when I buy a new one, because as previously mentioned, it would be too big of a hassle to sell, plus, I can have a UWA and tele!

(Talk about a run-on sentence...)

Christian

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,042 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:30 as a reply to  @ CAL Imagery's post |  #53

All of the above....

My normal setup for general and travel photography is a 30D and 40D with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses attached. I carry the camera with the 17-55mm around my neck on an OPTECH strap and the camera with the 70-200mm lens in a holster case at my left hip. I use a round screw-in shade, a hand-strap and an OPTECH Hood Hat on the camera in the holster case. It is very easy to grab the camera, pull off the Hood Hat and start shooting. Effectively, I have a 17-200mm focal range with excellent IQ and IS throughout that range and an f/2.8 aperture in my mid-range zoom. I don't miss the 55mm to 70mm gap at all.

When I am shooting fast moving sports such as hydroplane racing, I use the 40D on a tripod with my 400mm f/5.6L lens and a Manfrotto gimbal mount. I have the 70-200mm in the holster case slung beneath the apex of the tripod on the hook designed for a stabilizing weight. I can pull out the 70-200mm and start shooting very quickly. In fact a lot faster than I can describe it.

Finally, a second camera is an insurance policy against loosing coverage if one camera goes down. Even photographers who are not shooting professionally can benefit from this insurance. It paid dividends in July 2008 when I slipped on a slope during the first day of a ten day Alaska trip. I broke my 40D (which has since been repaired) and if I did not have my 30D with me, I would not have had any photos of that very interesting and photogenic trip. Cameras can go down for any number of reasons and I often wonder about photographers who will take a half dozen lenses on a once in a lifetime trip and rely on a single body.

Now, to answer your question of why I am not shooting with two of the same cameras. I have collected my bodies by the simple expedient of not selling or trading in my older body when I get a new one. I also have a 10D which comes in handy every so often. I do like the fact that all three cameras take basically the same accessories such as batteries and remotes.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,085 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 17, 2008 11:41 |  #54

Joey40D wrote in post #6320586 (external link)
Curious.

Other than professionals, why does one have 2 cameras. Some have 2 of the same camera and others have a good one and a lower model.

If you have 2 of the same, what's the difference? If you have different models, why not constantly use the better one?

I'm just trying to understand why.

i own the 1d mark III and a 30d. the 30d is a back up to the 1d mark III plus in africa i used the 30d with a short zoom on game drives while the 100-400L was on the mark III.

we're going to katmai NP next year and i'll also have a back-up camera. can you imagine being on a trip of a lifetime and your only camera fails :D?

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 17, 2008 12:06 |  #55

Mainly becase if I decide to upgrade I would keep the other as a back up rather than take a big hit price wise selling it.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

Mturnbo
465 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 17, 2008 12:11 |  #56

I do so I can set one up in front of the other and get this really cool mirror effect. :)

Camera: Canon 1D MK IIN, 7D IR, T4i astro modified, 5DSR, 1 DX II

RodneyCyr
629 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 17, 2008 12:12 |  #57

Having always wanted a backup DSLR, I never considered selling my 300D when I bought my 30D a year ago. I don't think I could have gotten much for it anyway.

On several occasions I have taken both of them on an outing, with a wide or ultrawide zoom on one and a tele zoom on the other.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

gymell
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 17, 2008 13:26 |  #58

Joey40D wrote in post #6320965 (external link)
ah... good call.

For those that say "backup". Come on, really?! (not being sarcastic). Most people don't have $1200-$3000 disposable income to have such backups. Especially the fact it depreciates. Don't get me wrong, if I had the extra money lying around.
I certainly agree to owning a backup if you are a professional.

"JBillings Very simple, try going on a workshop/safari/tour, whatever you want to call it, and find out your camera is on the fritz. With the expenses involved in such a trip, it makes that backup body look cheap!"
Why not bring two of the same lenses as well? In case you drop it and it gets destroyed. Again not trying to be sarcastic or asking to get flamed. I just find it insane to have the need to have redundancy just for peace of mind.

My backup would be my pocketable point and shoot.

Yes, really. Sure a lot of people can't afford a spare, but a lot of people can. It's not money "lying around" either - it's money that one decides specifically to devote to that based on that person's own values and priorities. One doesn't have to be a professional for that. And a backup camera doesn't have to cost as much as you say - there are many quality used cameras to be had for much less that can serve the purpose. Or just keep your old camera when you upgrade (as I did).

Case in point, when I went to Alaska last November, I spent the better part of a year planning and preparing for that trip. As it turns out, my new 1DIII died with an Err99 on the last day of the workshop. Had I not had my trusty 30D along as a backup, I would have missed an entire day's worth of shooting, which happened to be the only sunny morning we had. Since I made it my priority to give myself the best opportunity for photography, I came away with this shot, which my best of the trip. I wouldn't have gotten it without my backup camera (and certainly not with the P&S I also brought along.)

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/gymell/image/89154010/original.jpg

-Liz
My online gallery (external link) and Live Streaming Feeder Cam (external link)
Help native birds - discourage house sparrows! (external link)
Minnesota Master Naturalist (external link) - "Explore, Teach, Conserve"

MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 17, 2008 14:01 |  #59

Well i only have one camera, but alot of people use 1 for a wideangle lens and the other with a high zoom lens.

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photography (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 17, 2008 14:11 |  #60

Backup.

Saves changing lenses so often.

At times, all are set up, different lenses, for different subjects.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

8,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do you own 2 cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.