Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon engineers held back by marketing department

bomzai
524 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2008 02:06 |  #31

krepta wrote in post #6331444 (external link)
LoL... it's Yahoo!, what do you expect... :lol:

Ouch... you got me there! :lol:

Camera: EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 70D, ™24-70mm f2.8 VC, EF 70-200mm IS f2.8 L II, EF 100mm IS f2.8 L Macro, EF-S 18-135 STM, Σ 12-24 II.
EOS 5D mkII, 20D, S100, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, EF 24-105mm IS f4.0 L, EF 70-200mm IS f4.0 L, EF-S 18-200mm IS, EF 100mm f2.8 macro
Light: Sun, Speedlite 580EXII, 550EX, 430EX, EL-Skyports, Reflectors, Umbrellas, Diffusers etc.

sponsored links
bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 18, 2008 02:33 |  #32

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Canon did have the 5DII ready around the same time as the 1DsIII. It does seem very odd for them to wait this long to release an update to the 5D.

rdricks
622 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 18, 2008 02:44 as a reply to  @ bsaber's post |  #33

It is actually very common in many industries. Marketing decides what the company needs, and engineering develops it. It can be very frustrating for us engineers!:evil:

Ultimately it comes down to Marketing saying that xx feature will sell yy more units. More units means more revenue.

-Ryan
Gear List
My Photo Adventure (external link)

John_TX
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 18, 2008 02:47 |  #34

bsaber wrote in post #6331546 (external link)
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Canon did have the 5DII ready around the same time as the 1DsIII. It does seem very odd for them to wait this long to release an update to the 5D.

As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been sitting on the 5D Mk II for at least 12-14 months. Using essentially older sensor technology, when clearly, the 50D's is more current, as well as essentially the same 9-point autofocus system is highly suspect.
I'll bet you up until about 4 months ago, the 5D Mk II still had the same crappy low-res 3" LCD as found on the 1Ds Mk III & 40D.

I'm really trying hard not to be negative, but if Canon keeps the 5D Mk II around for as long as the 5D, they are sorely going to be left behind.

5D4 | 5D3 | 16-35 f4 IS | 24-105 f4 IS | 70-200 f4 IS | 100-400 II | Sigma 20 f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35 f/1.4 ART | EF 1.4x III | EF 2x II | 430EX II |

davidleslie
42 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2008 03:20 |  #35

Happens in every business. Operations people complaining about sales. I think the sensor will get used, but the engineers have to understand business is about selling. Nothing more, nothing less.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 18, 2008 03:21 |  #36

I doubt the engineers truly give a rat's ass what Canon decides to put in their cameras. They're likely to be salaried. They go to work, do their job, then go home. Rinse & repeat.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

shiato ­ storm
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 18, 2008 03:22 |  #37

its true, show someone my 1dmkII and the main question is; "how many pixels does it have", what, only 8?!! [raised eyebrows and all that]
if this report is true, well, just shows all is not well in the canon camp and they're straying from the path a little...will just have to see how the IQ comes out with the production cameras then

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 18, 2008 04:53 |  #38

cdifoto wrote in post #6331661 (external link)
I doubt the engineers truly give a rat's ass what Canon decides to put in their cameras. They're likely to be salaried. They go to work, do their job, then go home. Rinse & repeat.

The engineers who work for me are all salaried and they all have a lot of pride in what they do and a lot of drive to make the product the best possible.

That said, if they worked for Canon they might agree (or disagree) with decisions on marketing features and price points.

For sure though, all engineers would disagree with adding MP to a camera if that reduced performance without saving costs. But who knows. The odds of a Japanese engineer talking through his hat to a journalist strikes me as low given every Japanese engineer I've worked with.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,246 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 18, 2008 05:18 |  #39

Well, there you go. The same, old pathetic story.

Canon:

"Jam those megapixels on there! We want a hundred-billion in the space of a postage stamp! Image quality? To hell with it! WE WANT HEADLINES!"

Website (external link) |

CanadianKitKat
920 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 18, 2008 08:21 |  #40

I've gotta say - that was one of the poorest written articles I think I've ever read. As a result, I really don't think I would put a lot of weight in it. The reporting and the quotes both sound like they came from a 10 year old.

www.ktklassen.com (external link)

hitmanh
136 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 18, 2008 08:56 |  #41

rdricks wrote in post #6331569 (external link)
It is actually very common in many industries. Marketing decides what the company needs, and engineering develops it. It can be very frustrating for us engineers!:evil:

Ultimately it comes down to Marketing saying that xx feature will sell yy more units. More units means more revenue.

Yup, it's very annoying, marketing easily get caught up in playing the numbers/feature of the day game... it's very fustrating when you have real ideas about improving your product, but get forced to putting time into make x bigger than the competitors version of x. The best companies never allow any one department to dictate the product.

"In Photography, as in all arts, the quality of the human imagination is the only thing that counts - technique, and technical proficiency, mean nothing in themselves." CLARENCE JOHN LAUGHLIN
www.hitmanh.com (external link)
40D and some luck

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 18, 2008 09:29 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

I dont' know how true this is...but I'll post the same thing I posted elsewhere:

Ya know? Whatever.

I get tired of reading the Nikon vs. Canon crap and those that think the D700 is God's gift to photography. That Canon is somehow so far behind. The people that are upset the 5D MkII isn't what THEY wanted so they think selling all of their Canon lenses and bodies and switching to Nikon is somehow a smart thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera. So is the 5D. Likely, so is the 5D MkII. Hell so is the 10D that I had. My 20D is still great.

Sure you get more "tools" these days - AF adjustments, higher ISO usable, etc. But I can still take an excellent photo with a 10D. It's not about how new your camera or how many megapixels or how expensive your lens is. Those things are just tools. The important thing behind photography is the photographers eye and what's between his ears.

Canon....Nikon....I don't care. Use what fits you. I think everyone needs to just stop bickering over who is better, who's "in the lead" or what they don't like about the new 5D and instead......

Go out and take some pictures. That's kinda what these things are for.

SAY NO TO SPEC WORK! (external link)

Tsmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 18, 2008 09:55 as a reply to  @ OdiN1701's post |  #43

I thought you guys & gals would find it rather interesting either way.

Not defending Yahoo but they do come up with some stuff that other news outlets overlook or don't have access to at times.

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 18, 2008 10:00 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

Tsmith wrote in post #6333127 (external link)
I thought you guys & gals would find it rather interesting either way.

Not defending Yahoo but they do come up with some stuff that other news outlets overlook or don't have access to at times.

Gee...wonder why....

SAY NO TO SPEC WORK! (external link)

Rudeofus
502 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2008 10:53 |  #45

OdiN1701 wrote in post #6332969 (external link)
I get tired of reading the Nikon vs. Canon crap and those that think the D700 is God's gift to photography. That Canon is somehow so far behind. The people that are upset the 5D MkII isn't what THEY wanted so they think selling all of their Canon lenses and bodies and switching to Nikon is somehow a smart thing to do.

Other camera producers seem to produce stuff that looks useful, while Canon and Sony crank up the mega pixels. This makes us people who chose Canon appear like noobs (look, my camera has 21 mega pixels! Whatever ...)

Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera. So is the 5D. Likely, so is the 5D MkII. Hell so is the 10D that I had. My 20D is still great.

While I've seen excellent pictures made with 300D and 350D, I don't see why I should pay thousands of Euros to get something which offers little more. Nikon pulled ahead with the d700 (small form factor case, FF sensor, pro AF) some months ago. People here in the forum told us not to worry, Canon our overlord prepares the ultimate revolution in digital imaging. What came instead was a pointless mega pixel increase with 9 point AF.

Call it whatever you want, but a revolution in digital imaging looks different from what I see here.

Sure you get more "tools" these days - AF adjustments, higher ISO usable, etc. But I can still take an excellent photo with a 10D. It's not about how new your camera or how many megapixels or how expensive your lens is. Those things are just tools. The important thing behind photography is the photographers eye and what's between his ears.

If a 10D fits everybody's needs, everyone can go and get one for very few 100 Euros. No need for a 5D then, and certainly no need for a new 5D II.

Canon....Nikon....I don't care. Use what fits you. I think everyone needs to just stop bickering over who is better, who's "in the lead" or what they don't like about the new 5D and instead......

If you are about to seriously invest in camera gear, you want to know very well which vendor offers you a future. Once you're invested, it's quite expensive to switch. By introducing a 21 mega pixel camera with 9 point AF Canon demonstrated, that their target audience is clueless P&S shooters with too much money in their hands.

PS: I've never seen so many cheaply priced Canon mount pro lenses in the used market ever before, it's like a fire sale right now. Tell me what you want, people must be switching in droves.

PS: I'm glad this new 5D has those specs, saves me a lot of money :p

Discovery is not accidental. We discover only when we make ourselves ready to receive and photographers seek discovery by mastering their craft. But it begins somewhere else. It begins with daisies, kids, awful scenes, falling in love, or growing old. It begins with that which matters to you. And it ends with visual statements that express what matters to you about these things. It is not sight the camera satisfies so thoroughly, but the mind. - Christian Molidor

sponsored links

10,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon engineers held back by marketing department
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.