Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 18 Sep 2008 (Thursday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 70-300 APO or Canon 70-200 L

wongkw
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2008 12:16 |  #1

Need some advice...

Was going to buy Sigma 70-300 APO lens for $170 used from local camera store and few minutes ago saw on internet someone selling a Canon 70-200 F4 L lens for $375 locally. In the short time I've been reading on the forums, I've read L lenses are the best ones to get. Is it worth the sacrifice in distance and extra money to get the Canon lens?

5D l BG-E4 Grip l EF 50 f/1.8 II l EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM l All My Gear

sponsored links
amriddell
324 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2008 12:23 |  #2

70-200 L hands down, not even close.

sanity1082
203 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 18, 2008 12:23 |  #3

IMO yes

canon: XTi, nifty fifty, 18-55, 430ex

sigma: 24-70 f2.8 macro, 150-500

roastpuff
143 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 18, 2008 12:23 |  #4

wongkw wrote in post #6334021 (external link)
Need some advice...

Was going to buy Sigma 70-300 APO lens for $170 used from local camera store and few minutes ago saw on internet someone selling a Canon 70-200 F4 L lens for $375 locally. In the short time I've been reading on the forums, I've read L lenses are the best ones to get. Is it worth the sacrifice in distance and extra money to get the Canon lens?

YES. Grab that sucker RIGHT NOW - $375 is insanely low, and if you don't want it buy it for me and I will pay you $400 + shipping for it.

wongkw
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2008 12:50 as a reply to  @ roastpuff's post |  #5

When I first saw the picture of a white lens and the price I thought, it couldn't be...then looked at the ad and indeed it said "L" lens. I checked the prices of stores in the area and the lowest price advertised was $727. I'm trying to arrange a time to meet with seller to inspect and test it. What should I be looking for while inspecting and testing used lenses?

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,755 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 18, 2008 12:59 as a reply to  @ wongkw's post |  #6

that he doesnt try to rob you..That just seems way low unless its broke

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fringer Pro EF-X, 14 f2.8, 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, 35 f2, 50 f2, 90 f2, 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS, Tamron 150-600 G2 VC
Sony RX100 II

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 18, 2008 13:02 |  #7

Seriously, if it's local check it out first....in a public place. Definitely go for it if it seems to check out but do make sure it checks out.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

prime80
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 18, 2008 13:03 |  #8

05Xrunner wrote in post #6334325 (external link)
that he doesnt try to rob you..That just seems way low unless its broke

Ditto...if it works and you leave with it, you've gotten an OUTSTANDING deal.

Assuming the deal is legit, slap it on your camera and take several shots with it. Test the zoom ring and focus ring to make sure they are OK. Autofocus as several different distances and review the images to check that they're reasonably sharp. If everything looks OK, snatch that sucker up!

John
R6, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8
Full Gear List

pointerDixie214
Goldmember
1,149 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 18, 2008 13:07 |  #9

If this is legit, buy it and enjoy a great deal for a great lens!

And yes, meet publicly!

Canon EOS 30D * Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 * Canon 70-200mm f/4L

wongkw
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2008 13:18 as a reply to  @ prime80's post |  #10

Apparently it's a camera store that sells used equipment. They're selling for a client who bought a longer zoom.

Thanks for all the advice...I'll try to keep it all in mind before committing to the purchase. They said they had 4 other inquiries about it already. I have to wait till I'm finished work and get home to my vehicle to get to the store. Even then, I'll have to leave early to make it there before closing. They said it's whoever shows up with the cash first get the lens.

benee
551 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2008 14:39 |  #11

wongkw wrote in post #6334455 (external link)
Apparently it's a camera store that sells used equipment. They're selling for a client who bought a longer zoom.

Thanks for all the advice...I'll try to keep it all in mind before committing to the purchase. They said they had 4 other inquiries about it already. I have to wait till I'm finished work and get home to my vehicle to get to the store. Even then, I'll have to leave early to make it there before closing. They said it's whoever shows up with the cash first get the lens.

I'd be careful - that seems awfully low, but I agree you should go for the L. They typically go for $475-500 used...

2 x 5Dc, XE-1
Canon 35 f2 USM IS, 135L
Fuji 18-55,
Feedback:https://photography-on-the.net …p=13251402&post​count=2973

wongkw
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2008 16:55 as a reply to  @ benee's post |  #12

Well, I got myself an "L" lens now. It came with tripod mount also...I didn't realize it wasn't included with new lenses. So, I think I got a good deal.

The seller had several people interested in it and said he would sell it to whoever showed up first. I felt it would be gone if I waited till after work so I left work early in the hopes the others would be stuck at work. Apparently one of the other perspective buyers got a bit upset when the seller told him I was on my way to look at it.

The lens had a bit of grungies on the outside that could easily be cleaned off. I took pictures at several distances and focused using manual and auto...everything looked sharp on the little screen on my Rebel XT. Going to download to computer to take a closer look at the shots. I thought something was wrong when I couldn't hear the autofocus working...actually it was working but a lot quieter than the kit lens.

Just wondering when in autofocus mode, am I supposed to be able to turn the focus ring as easily as if it were in manual mode? Also, is it normal to turn zoom and focus rings past maximum in both directions? Looks like it works great though.

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,755 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 18, 2008 16:59 as a reply to  @ wongkw's post |  #13

yea the focus ring should turn freely even in AF cause it has full time MF override like all USM. as for the zoom ring it should not go past 70 and 200..the AF ring can spin past its max on each direction but the zoom ring shouldnt. Yea the USM AF is really quit compared to the whin of the micro motots in the kit lens and any non USM lens

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fringer Pro EF-X, 14 f2.8, 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, 35 f2, 50 f2, 90 f2, 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS, Tamron 150-600 G2 VC
Sony RX100 II

roastpuff
143 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 18, 2008 17:16 as a reply to  @ wongkw's post |  #14

Congratulations! You got yourself a nice lens... is this your first L? You'll be blown away by the quality of the pictures. Focus ring will turn freely, it can be a bit disconcerting, but the zoom ring should be solid.

Yeah, they're awesomely quiet - the shutter sound will be louder.

wongkw
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 18, 2008 17:40 as a reply to  @ roastpuff's post |  #15

Just double checked, the zoom ring does stop spinning at 70 and 200. I can turn the focus ring to max in both directions and feel it stop and then keep going if I keep turning it. Thanks for confirming 05Xrunner and roastpuff...I was a bit worried about that.

Yeah, this is both my first "L" lens and lens addition after the kit lens. I'm quite excited and happy with the deal I got. Never thought I could afford an "L" lens. Now I get to explain to everyone why my lens and camera don't colour coordinate.

I took a look at some test shots on my computer and they look quite sharp at both 70 and 200. I don't know if I would've gotten that kind of sharpness on the extra distance I gave up on the Sigma 70-300 I was going to get. I'm quite picky when it comes to IQ and it would drive me crazy if I know I could get a better image with another lens. Now at least I don't have to worry about "what if I had gotten the L lens" if I had gone the Sigma route.

I'm anxious to put the lens to work and get some nice shots.

Sorry roastpuff...I got your PM but after hearing everyones opinion I thought I better snap this up for myself.

sponsored links

2,279 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 70-300 APO or Canon 70-200 L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.