Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Sep 2008 (Saturday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flickr Curiosity

Mike-DT6
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2008 09:10 |  #1

I have been a member of Flickr for a little while now and find it is really good for motivation. The group participation and comments/awards that I get really keep me going, which is good because I'm terrible for not getting things done! :lol:

One thing that I have noticed on there, apart from the apparent popularity and appreciation of terribly overdone HDR images, is that some images get a huge number of comments and favourites in a relatively short space of time. One that I have just seen has been posted about six weeks and it has nearly 2,000 comments and has been favourited just over 700 times. Some I have seen with hundreds of comments and dozens of favourites that have only been up a few days.

There doesn't seem to be anything obvious to suggest how or why. Group contributions appear to be nothing out of the ordinary and the image itself is sometimes not what I would call outstanding.

I'm really curious to know how some people get so much exposure for their photographs on there. :-)

Mike

Gear list

sponsored links
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 20, 2008 09:18 |  #2

People have lots of contacts. They get them by contacting lots of people, commenting on every photo they see, and fave'ing lots of images. Be a networker and get lots of Flickr friends -- then your photos show up in a lot of contact streams and will get more comments.

It is also a self-feeding loop... as an image becomes more popular, it will start appearing on the Flickr home page "in explore" and then it will start getting a lot more views.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2008 09:48 |  #3

Ahh I see! I thought there must be some explanation. :-)

I have just gone back and looked at that person's contact list and he has over 1,300! I've only got 37! :lol: If someone adds me to their list I add them in return, out of courtesy.

I don't think I'll be going mad trying to get loads of comments and favourites though. I'm quite happy with the ones I get now. :-)

Mike

Gear list

pjfrad
133 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2008 10:57 |  #4

Mike, I just took a look though your photo stream and there are some awesome photos there. Well done and thanks for sharing them.

Peter

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pjfrad/ (external link)

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2008 12:06 |  #5

Thanks Peter :-)

That's a nice wildlife set you've got in your photostream. It's one area that I want to make more of an effort with too.

Mike

:-)

Gear list

hale_the_fourth
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 20, 2008 14:05 |  #6

Yeah, I'd agree with the above posters. It seems that Flickr is more similar to a blog, whereas if you are active on other people's blogs, they will be active in yours. It's all about networking.

p.s. Added you as a contact on Flickr

-Kevin
300D, 15-55 f/3.5-5.6 (yes, the kit lens ;)), 75 - 300 f/4-5.6
Join the POTN group on flickr (external link)
My flickr (external link)

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2008 17:21 |  #7

Thanks for that Kevin. :-)

I definitely gain a lot of motivation just from the acknowledgements received from other members. For someone like me that's worth a lot.

Mike

:-)

Gear list

blackcap
415 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 20, 2008 19:27 |  #8

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #6345934 (external link)
I have just gone back and looked at that person's contact list and he has over 1,300! I've only got 37! :lol: If someone adds me to their list I add them in return, out of courtesy.

I try and keep my contacts down to a minimum (I have 65 at the moment), people whose photos I like and who seem to like my photos. I don't see the point in having so many contacts that you can't keep up with their streams - yes you'll get many more comments but they'll most likely be throw-away type comments anyway. Same with adding photos to groups, I only choose a few nowadays as most of the comments you get from the 'Post one, comment on X' groups are also worthless.

I just checked out your photos, they're pretty damn good!

Cheers,
Chris

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chris_gin/ (external link)

manutd101
Goldmember
1,261 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2008 21:24 |  #9

I too only contact those whose photos I like, or who I know. But yes, networking is important. I'll always respond in kind if someone I don't know comments/faves one of my photos, and I'll usually add them as a contact. BTW, I just added you :)

Conor - my flickr (external link)

Do you enjoy these forums? Donate!

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 21, 2008 06:50 |  #10

Thank you both. :-) Just added you too Conor.

When I first joined Flickr I searched for photographs that I liked, taken in my local area, then had a look at those people's group list to get an idea of what ones to join. From there I have picked up a few group invitations and have also joined a few groups specific to a particular photograph I wanted to post.

I think that the post one/comment x groups are handy for gauging which particular photos people like, which gives me an idea of which ones might be most likely to sell as prints. The post 1/comment 5 groups are a bit time consuming though. I prefer the comment 2 or 3 groups!

There's a panoramic photograph group on there that amuses me. Apart from the strict rules that you have to abide by it seems to be a 'lamb to the slaughter' set-up whereby people post their panoramas and are promptly ripped to shreds by the group owner who goes through each one pixel by pixel, finding things wrong with them! :lol:

Mike

Gear list

sponsored links

1,311 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flickr Curiosity
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.