Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Sep 2008 (Monday) 06:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you considering switching to D700 after 5D MK II announcement?

863 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 22, 2008 17:24 as a reply to  @ post 6360073 |  #106
bannedPermanent ban

People switching to Nikon based on 5D MKII SPECS without even holding one or trying it out first are just being silly IMO. I have a feeling once its out and we are using it and posting pics, they will probably regret it ;)

40D,Tamron 28-75 f/2.8,Nifty Fifty,Vixia HV30 HD

sponsored links
drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,872 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Sep 22, 2008 17:26 |  #107

2112 wrote in post #6360125 (external link)
People switching to Nikon based on 5D MKII SPECS without even holding one or trying it out first are just being silly IMO. I have a feeling once its out and we are using it and posting pics, they will probably regret it ;)

If people do switch, it really makes no difference to me, as long as they don't continue to hang around our dedicated Canon forum telling us how crappy our gear is.
If that's the case, I say "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya" :lol: j/k

The D700 does indeed look like an attractive camera, but I find it a little less appealing now that the 5D II is out. However they are somewhat different beasts.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 22, 2008 17:36 |  #108
bannedPermanent ban

Ultimately the decision has to be yours. If Canon aren't giving you what you want then do it. If Nikon aren't giving you what you want then do it.

They're just cameras. It's not a religion. You're not defined by what you shoot with.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 22, 2008 17:40 |  #109
bannedPermanent ban

2112 wrote in post #6360125 (external link)

Well not if the 5D II isn't giving them what they want - you don't need to use the camera to know it's not going to be a fast handling, super-quick AF body with built-in wireless flash etc. Equally you don't need to use a D700 to know it's not going to give you huge prints, 1080P video, access to the EF lens range and so on.

So an element comes down to accepting that Nikon, like Canon, know how to make a camera. Once you learn to accept that the rest is pretty easy.

Whichever you choose don't blame the camera if your photos are rubbish. It's you.

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 22, 2008 17:44 as a reply to  @ drisley's post |  #110

Terrywoodenpic wrote in post #6357936 (external link)
I regularly use the mirror lock up function, and even " my menu" is not a direct option for it.

On the 5D2, you can have your very own mode with MLU, can't you?

Even on my OM1n it is a basic function.

Olympus dropped the MLU lever on the OM2 though.

Raymond ­ Lin
458 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 22, 2008 17:45 |  #111

When the camera first announced i was more than tempted to jump ship but after reading about it a bit more and i am incline to stay, some financial reasons, some aspect of the 5D2 i do like as well, one thing i am eager to test personally is the 1080 video feature, i think that would be a killer tool in a wedding.

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 22, 2008 17:46 |  #112

Perfectly happy with my present gear.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,872 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Sep 22, 2008 17:50 |  #113

Canon and Nikon are rich enough... Let's all just switch to Olympus! :) LOL!

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 22, 2008 18:03 |  #114

I have to admit, after anxiously waiting for the 5D replacement for months and after the 5D II specs were announced, I'm starting to consider the D700 as my next body.

For now, I'm just going to wait for some more indepth, hands-on reviews then decide.

But, to be sure, Nikon was never a serious option for me until the 5D II's specs were announced. The 5D II put Nikon on the table.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

monokrome
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 22, 2008 18:11 |  #115

drisley wrote in post #6360134 (external link)
If people do switch, it really makes no difference to me, as long as they don't continue to hang around our dedicated Canon forum telling us how crappy our gear is.
If that's the case, I say "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya" :lol:

The D700 does indeed look like an attractive camera, but I find it a little less appealing now that the 5D II is out. However they are somewhat different beasts.

I don't think people here are saying the gear is crappy, just trying to point out what we/they think is lacking. I've had Canon gear since 1987, and I've only touch a Nikon body twice in that amount of time.

There is not a whine fest here (in this thread) that is going like at someone other places, nor are there those who are being dillholes about someone's opinion. but your door splitting ya, is funny.

Many agree that a better AF would have been nice, should have been. But there are those think is lacking and those who think it'll be just fine. Talking about this has at least helped me, I haven't click "BUY NOW" on a D700 and 24-70 for it yet. I have been told that Canon Marketing remark is BS.

Dekka wrote in post #6360334 (external link)
I have to admit, after anxiously waiting for the 5D replacement for months and after the 5D II specs were announced, I'm starting to consider the D700 as my next body.

For now, I'm just going to wait for some more indepth, hands-on reviews then decide.

But, to be sure, Nikon was never a serious option for me until the 5D II's specs were announced. The 5D II put Nikon on the table.

OK, someone feeling the same as me.

S5IS

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,872 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Sep 22, 2008 18:17 |  #116

Put the 5D II specs in the D700 body,and it would be the best of both worlds :)
"NiCan" :)

Here is some info showing the improved weather resistance of the 5D II. I think unless you are going deep sea diving/picture taking (or doing photography while you are having a shower ;)), you should be fine :)
http://www.dpreview.co​m …anoneos5dmarkII​/page5.asp (external link)

I must say, one thing I really like about the new nikons is the battery grip... especially the joystick for changing AF points in vertical mode.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 22, 2008 18:32 |  #117

Dekka wrote in post #6360334 (external link)

Uh...... Why?

This space for rent.

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2008 18:40 |  #118

Well I am not 100% sure what to do now.
Yet anyway.

Just sold my 5D and have seen a few reviews of the mark II, looked at the specs but I don't see the sense of the movie thinghy.

There're turning still cameras into another combined item.:cry:

Why not put all the money into the camera and its features(for still cameras) they can offer.:)

As for focus points I shoot mostly manually with 5D and use center focus point only.
If i pop it to green box mode then I use all.
which is rare.

1D Mark III / 100-400 L Version II
430ex II

brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 22, 2008 18:40 |  #119

i dont find anything wrong with the 5D Mark II. i had a 40D and a D300, in practice i dont find any difference in the AF. Only when you are tracking does the D300 follow better. If you are worried about the AF tracking, and FPS, get the 50D. Its a much better camera then the 5D II in that sense. Anyways, isn't the AF of the Mark II the same as the 50D? I found the 40Ds AF to be good enough. If you want canon to make a full frame 1D Mark III then go for the 1Ds Mark III. Don't expect the 5D II to be anything near that. It wasn't meant to be, and it never will be. I think photographers should stop depending on their gear too much, its gotten to the point where any DSLR in the market is good enough to take fantastic photos. A good photo has nothing to do with the camera.

Brian C - Alpha Auto Spa (external link)
5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

monokrome
Goldmember
1,185 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 22, 2008 18:43 |  #120

As said a few times, not looking for "D" series AF, just maybe the 50D's.

S5IS

sponsored links

53,894 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you considering switching to D700 after 5D MK II announcement?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.